script editor

Hey everyone, I'm sorry i've been out so long but I am working on an AutoIt Script Writer. I am writing it in VB.NET and it is going well. I will have a simple debugger and it will color things like AutoIt's built in fuctions, constants, variables, etc. It will even read Dim, Function, etc statements and color user made items. Does anyone have any suggestions to go into this?

BTW: Anyone know how to compile in VB.NET? I'm lost, haha... :lmao:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone, I'm sorry i've been out so long but I am working on an AutoIt Script Writer. I am writing it in VB.NET and it is going well. I will have a simple debugger and it will color things like AutoIt's built in fuctions, constants, variables, etc. It will even read Dim, Function, etc statements and color user made items. Does anyone have any suggestions to go into this?

BTW: Anyone know how to compile in VB.NET? I'm lost, haha... :lmao:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In case you didn't already know:

No need to reinvent the wheel...Crimson Editor already deals with syntax, color coding etc. Great little IDE.

http://www.crimsoneditor.com

Sean Shrum :: http://www.shrum.net

All my published AU3-based apps and utilities

'Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot'

• Developers

In case you didn't already know:

No need to reinvent the wheel...Crimson Editor already deals with syntax, color coding etc.  Great little IDE.

http://www.crimsoneditor.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yea.. or SciTE ... :lmao:

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I've said this before and will say it again. Is it ironic that you would write an editor/IDE for a small, self-contained language in a language that will require people to download massive run-times in order to use? Just judging by the intelligence contained in most posts, I have my doubts whether the people a nice editor/IDE would benefit even have the intelligence to acquire the .NET framework. I would guess that 60 - 70% of people think .NET is part of a URL...

SciTE anyone?

[font="Times"] If anyone remembers me, I am back. Maybe to stay, maybe not.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][font="Times"]Things I am proud of: Pong! in AutoIt | SearchbarMy website: F.R.I.E.S.A little website that is trying to get started: http://thepiratelounge.net/ (not mine)[/font][font="Times"] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][font="Arial"]The newbies need to stop stealing avatars!!! It is confusing!![/font]

Is there anyone, anyone at all, who would use it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just make it half as good as Scite :)

and i may test it!

now seriously :lmao:

if it's just to practice and learn AutoIt, it could be a good exercise.

i already myself made some scripts that have been written hundreds (if not thousands) times just for learning :)

so go ahead

if it's .NET that's another story o:)

What is this SciTE anyways?

New features I may add, other than those listed:

MDI contains seperate windows for functions and such, will have a last edited list, will have an Autocomplete, will check for simple infinate loop problems, syntax debugger, color dialog, options menu will contain list of AutoIt options to put at top of file, uhh...

Had some more but can't remember them. Maybe a spell-checker for strings as well.

By the way, what was up with comments about the .NET framework? People should already have downloaded it by now, its been there for some time and is widely used.

What is this SciTE anyways?

you can find it there: http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/

i know that people here, had been arguing around "THE BEST EDITOR" and i 'll not restate this debate :):lmao:

let me just say that it's really good, it support a lot of languages, is highly customisable and so on....

They are also many others which are good too (UltraEdit .... )

without forgetting Notepad (.......a bit less powerfull one) :):)o:)

:lmao: <----- SciTE

^----- other editors

[font="Times"] If anyone remembers me, I am back. Maybe to stay, maybe not.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][font="Times"]Things I am proud of: Pong! in AutoIt | SearchbarMy website: F.R.I.E.S.A little website that is trying to get started: http://thepiratelounge.net/ (not mine)[/font][font="Times"] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/font][font="Arial"]The newbies need to stop stealing avatars!!! It is confusing!![/font]

I did not know of the other editors though. If it is pointless, I may stop. I didn't think there would be so many people who wouldn't use it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1) Many people have written text editors for fun. Feel free to do what ever you want.

2) There are a bunch of mature, feature-rich editors out there--and people like to stick with what they know.

Aside: I'm a big fan of TextPad and a bigger fan of SciTE.

TextPad: good regexp support, good bookmark features, "replace in all files" support

SciTE: intellisense, code folding, excellent extensions from forum members

Use Mozilla | Take a look at My Disorganized AutoIt stuff | Very very old: AutoBuilder 11 Jan 2005 prototype I need to update my sig!

My have a thought for your editor. It would be nice to to have an editor that corrects little things like the way you use a variable in a function. Like in the list view, if you use a variable you have to put it in like this & $var. Yet in other functions like IniRead, you take the quotes out from around the variable. It's just one of those things that get under my skin. I hope this reply is usefull to you.