REG_binary string issue

The way regwrite is used with reg_binary types had changed. Is there still a way to input the data as hex value? Or how should I write the string value. I want to use this to change the 'new signature' value for a signature script. For instance I used to write a value "74 00 65 00 73 00 74 00 00 00" which resulted in "t.e.s.t..." but when I write is as a string it reads the dots and i get; "74 2E 65 2E 73 2E 74 2E 2E 2E" but without the dots I dont get the desired result.

Anybody got an idea? :)

24th December, 2008 - v3.3.0.0

Changed: RegRead() and RegWrite() no longer use hex strings for REG_BINARY types - native binary datatypes are enforced.

The way regwrite is used with reg_binary types had changed. Is there still a way to input the data as hex value? Or how should I write the string value. I want to use this to change the 'new signature' value for a signature script. For instance I used to write a value "74 00 65 00 73 00 74 00 00 00" which resulted in "t.e.s.t..." but when I write is as a string it reads the dots and i get; "74 2E 65 2E 73 2E 74 2E 2E 2E" but without the dots I dont get the desired result.

Anybody got an idea? :)

24th December, 2008 - v3.3.0.0

Changed: RegRead() and RegWrite() no longer use hex strings for REG_BINARY types - native binary datatypes are enforced.

The value you are reading/writing is in UTF16 Little Endian unicode format. Since Null chars are used to terminate strings they are replaced with the "." char when read as a straight ASCII string.

Dim $BinaryValue, $StringValue

;$BinaryValue = RegRead("HKLM\Software\Path", "BinaryValue")
$BinaryValue = "7400650073007400"

$BinaryValue = Binary("0x" & $BinaryValue)
$StringValue = BinaryToString($BinaryValue, 2)

ConsoleWrite('$StringValue = ' & $StringValue & @crlf)

--- TTFN

thanks Zinthose for your reply.

When I use this, the value I get is with 00 at the end of the value, but not between each letter.

'test' becomes '0x74006500730074000000' in the registry it becomes '74 65 73 74 00 ' ('test.') Ok I get an extra dot at the end, according to my original I need it to be '74 00 65 00 73 00 74 00 00 00' ( 't.e.s.t...')

Any thoughts? thanks...

When I use this, the value I get is with 00 at the end of the value, but not between each letter.

'test' becomes '0x74006500730074000000' in the registry it becomes '74 65 73 74 00 ' ('test.') Ok I get an extra dot at the end, according to my original I need it to be '74 00 65 00 73 00 74 00 00 00' ( 't.e.s.t...')

Any thoughts? thanks...

To complete the example:
Global $sRegKey = "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Test", $sRegValue = "BinTest"
Global $sWriteText = "test"
ConsoleWrite("$sWriteText = " & $sWriteText & "  Type = " & VarGetType($sWriteText) & @LF)
Global $bRegWrite = StringToBinary($sWriteText, 2); 2 = UTF16 LE
ConsoleWrite("$bRegWrite = " & $bRegWrite & "  Type = " & VarGetType($bRegWrite) & @LF)
RegWrite($sRegKey, $sRegValue, "REG_BINARY", $bRegWrite)
$bRegRead = RegRead($sRegKey, $sRegValue)
ConsoleWrite("$bRegRead = " & $bRegRead & "  Type = " & VarGetType($bRegRead) & @LF)
$sReadText = BinaryToString($bRegRead, 2); 2 = UTF16 LE
ConsoleWrite("$sReadText = " & $sReadText & "  Type = " & VarGetType($sReadText) & @LF)

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Any thoughts? thanks...

Ah, I see what your trying to do.

;## ASCII to Unicoded binary value
    $UnicodeValue = _AsciiToBinaryUnicode("test")
    ConsoleWrite("Binary Value: " & $UnicodeValue & @CRLF)

;## Save the Binary Value to a test registry location
    $Return = RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Test", "TestKey", "REG_BINARY", Hex($UnicodeValue) & "0000")

;## Convert the binary value into a Unicode string
    $UnicodeValue = BinaryToString($UnicodeValue, 2)
    ConsoleWrite("String Value: " & $UnicodeValue & @CRLF)

Func _AsciiToBinaryUnicode($String)
    Local $Length, $typString, $typBinary
    Local $Value, $sValue, $bValue

;## Validate Parameters
        If Not IsString($String) Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)

;## Define Structures
        $Length = StringLen($String)
        $typString = "wchar Value[" & $Length + 1 & "]";    <-- Unicode String
        $typBinary = "byte Value[" & $Length * 2 & "]";     <-- Binary Array

;## Perform type conversion of the provided ASCII string into a binary value
        $sValue = DllStructCreate($typString)
        DllStructSetData($sValue, "Value", $String)

$bValue = DllStructCreate($typBinary, DllStructGetPtr($sValue))
        $Value = DllStructGetData($bValue, "Value")

Return $Value 
EndFunc

--- TTFN

• 1 month later...