msgbox - new hwnd param not working ?

then, what's the param for in msgbox ?

If you for example specify the MB_HELP flag in the MessageBox the parent window gets the WM_HELP message when the user clicks the help button. If you don't specify a parent you will never receive it.

:)

Broken link? PM me and I'll send you the file!

could it be a bug - and - what is that param in msgbox for ?

No, and it's uses as the parent for msgbox dialog.

help fille should be updated.

To what? :)

Spoiler

Using OS: Win 7 Professional, Using AutoIt Ver(s): 3.3.6.1 / 3.3.8.1

AutoIt_Rus_Community.png AutoIt Russian Community

My Work...

Spoiler

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngProjects: ATT - Application Translate Tool {new}| BlockIt - Block files & folders {new}| SIP - Selected Image Preview {new}| SISCABMAN - SciTE Abbreviations Manager {new}| AutoIt Path Switcher | AutoIt Menu for Opera! | YouTube Download Center! | Desktop Icons Restorator | Math Tasks | KeyBoard & Mouse Cleaner | CaptureIt - Capture Images Utility | CheckFileSize Program

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngUDFs: OnAutoItErrorRegister - Handle AutoIt critical errors {new}| AutoIt Syntax Highlight {new}| Opera Library! | Winamp Library | GetFolderToMenu | Custom_InputBox()! | _FileRun UDF | _CheckInput() UDF | _GUIInputSetOnlyNumbers() UDF | _FileGetValidName() UDF | _GUICtrlCreateRadioCBox UDF | _GuiCreateGrid() | _PathSplitByRegExp() | _GUICtrlListView_MoveItems - UDF | GUICtrlSetOnHover_UDF! | _ControlTab UDF! | _MouseSetOnEvent() UDF! | _ProcessListEx - UDF | GUICtrl_SetResizing - UDF! | Mod. for _IniString UDFs | _StringStripChars UDF | _ColorIsDarkShade UDF | _ColorConvertValue UDF | _GUICtrlTab_CoverBackground | CUI_App_UDF | _IncludeScripts UDF | _AutoIt3ExecuteCode | _DragList UDF | Mod. for _ListView_Progress | _ListView_SysLink | _GenerateRandomNumbers | _BlockInputEx | _IsPressedEx | OnAutoItExit Handler | _GUICtrlCreateTFLabel UDF | WinControlSetEvent UDF | Mod. for _DirGetSizeEx UDF

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngExamples: 
ScreenSaver Demo - Matrix included | Gui Drag Without pause the script | _WinAttach()! | Turn Off/On Monitor | ComboBox Handler Example | Mod. for "Thinking Box" | Cool "About" Box | TasksBar Imitation Demo

Like the Projects/UDFs/Examples? Please rate the topic (up-right corner of the post header: Rating AutoIt_Rating.gif)

* === My topics === *

==================================================
My_Userbar.gif
==================================================

AutoIt is simple, subtle, elegant. © AutoIt Team

If you for example specify the MB_HELP flag in the MessageBox the parent window gets the WM_HELP message when the user clicks the help button. If you don't specify a parent you will never receive it.

sorry if i am stupid: but how can you specify the flag to the normal MsgBox ? can you make a simple example please ?

Edited by jennico
Spoiler

I actively support Wikileaks | Freedom for Julian Assange ! | Defend freedom of speech ! | Fight censorship ! | I will not silence.OixB7.jpgDon't forget this IP: 213.251.145.96

in this case, GeoSoft, help fille should be updated.

Trying to keep documentation (All developers hate that part) updated so that everyone understands it is somethink akin to attempting to write "Idiot Proof" code. All is well and good until you encounter a bigger idiot than what your calculations had thought possible.

Probably because someone (for their own reasons) added it as a feature request and the Dev team, in their never ending quest to keep everyone happy(you can stop laughing now Valik), added it in. I keep forgetting that it's even available. Edited by GEOSoft

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

sorry if i am stupid: but how can you specify the flag to the normal MsgBox ? can you make a simple example please ?

Yeah sure.

#include <windowsconstants.au3>
Global Const $MB_HELP=0x00004000

$hwnd=GUICreate("Test")

GUIRegisterMsg($WM_HELP,"help")

MsgBox($MB_HELP,"","",Default,$hwnd)

Func help($hWnd, $Msg, $wParam, $lParam)
    ToolTip("I need help!")
    Return "GUI_RUNDEFMSG"
EndFunc

Now try without the hwnd param :)

Broken link? PM me and I'll send you the file!

Maybe to avoid something like this (besides what monoceres said):

#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

$gui = GUICreate("msgbox question", 200, 200, Default, Default, Default, $WS_EX_TOPMOST)
$m = GUICtrlCreateButton("MsgBox", 20, 20)
;$f=GUICtrlCreateButton("FileOpenDialog", 20,60)
GUISetState()
Do
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    If $msg = $m Then MsgBox(0, "", "blah blah");,0,$gui)
;If $msg=$f Then FileOpenDialog("placed",@SystemDir,"All (*.*)",7,"",$gui)
Until $msg = -3

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

@monoceres:

thx. interesting. so there is no $IDHELP value that can be returned ? Bill Gates forgot that ?

Edited by jennico
Spoiler

I actively support Wikileaks | Freedom for Julian Assange ! | Defend freedom of speech ! | Fight censorship ! | I will not silence.OixB7.jpgDon't forget this IP: 213.251.145.96

Specifying the parent of a MsgBox (or other dialog) also stops a separate taskbar item from showing up just for the dialog.

ie:

$gui = GUICreate("msgbox question", 200, 200, Default, Default, Default)
$m = GUICtrlCreateButton("MsgBox, regular", 20, 20)
$m1= GUICtrlCreateButton("MsgBox with parent", 20,60)
GUISetState()
Do
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    If $msg = $m Then MsgBox(0, "", "Look at the taskbar !!!" & @CRLF & "You'll see the taskbar item for your original script" & @CRLF & "and you'll see me!")
        If $msg = $m1 Then MsgBox(0, "", "Look at the taskbar !!!" & @CRLF & "You'll see the taskbar item for your original script only"  & @CRLF & @CRLF & "I'm NOT there!",0,$gui)
Until $msg = -3

Gives a more professional look to your apps!

• 14 years later...

I know this thread is quite old but I noticed a minor bug and just wanted to tell you about it.

On 1/4/2009 at 5:55 PM, MrCreatoR said:

Func _MsgBoxEx($iFlag, $sTitle, $sText, $iLeft=Default, $iTop=Default, $iTimeOut=Default, $hWnd=Default)
    MsgBox($iFlag, $sTitle, $sText, $iTimeOut, $hWnd)
EndFunc

This should be

Func _MsgBoxEx($iFlag, $sTitle, $sText, $iLeft=Default, $iTop=Default, $iTimeOut=Default, $hWnd=Default)
    Return MsgBox($iFlag, $sTitle, $sText, $iTimeOut, $hWnd)
EndFunc

to return the ID of the pressed button.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki