GUI on different systems should look the same

Hi,

what do I have to do, to make my GUIs look the same on every single computer? I noticed that the Vista theme has got different sizes and fonts than the one I use on my XP.

I can set the font and size to every control on my GUI, but what about the text in the titlebar? (The one I can set in GuiCreate function)

Anybody an idea, to let the GUI look 100 % the same on every windows computer?

Thanks!

Mega

Scripts & functions Organize Includes Let Scite organize the include files

Yahtzee The game "Yahtzee" (Kniffel, DiceLion)

LoginWrapper Secure scripts by adding a query (authentication)

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

Hi,

what do I have to do, to make my GUIs look the same on every single computer? I noticed that the Vista theme has got different sizes and fonts than the one I use on my XP.

I can set the font and size to every control on my GUI, but what about the text in the titlebar? (The one I can set in GuiCreate function)

Anybody an idea, to let the GUI look 100 % the same on every windows computer?

Thanks!

Mega

In XP the font used for the caption, the menus and many other things are globally set. They can be adjusted using the desktop properties,

Appearance, Advanced. Probably it's the same in Vista. So if you changed them for your application by changing the relevant registry then all windows would be affected. So I would guess you would need to have owner drawn captions etc.

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

In XP the font used for the caption, the menus and many other things are globally set. They can be adjusted using the desktop properties,

Appearance, Advanced. Probably it's the same in Vista. So if you changed them for your application by changing the relevant registry then all windows would be affected. So I would guess you would need to have owner drawn captions etc.

Thanks martin!

That means it isn't possible with Autoit, right?

I need to use pics instead of normal buttons to have them looking the same on different pcs/themes, hmmh?

That is also why I cannot set the font for the GUICreate text, correct?

Okay, using pics is bad when I have multilanguage in my GUI, cause I need a pic for every control in every language. :)

Anyhow, ....

Mega

_RunOnlyOnThis UDF Make sure that a script can only be executed on ... (Windows / HD / ...)

Internet-Café Server/Client Application Open CD, Start Browser, Lock remote client, etc.

MultipleFuncsWithOneHotkey Start different funcs by hitting one hotkey different times

Thanks!

I guess I go for using pics in my normal apps and for the multilanguage ones I try to keep on standard.

Mega

Thanks!

I guess I go for using pics in my normal apps and for the multilanguage ones I try to keep on standard.

Mega

EzSkin will fix all of that, you set fonts yes, but the buttons have labels over them and you only need to change the text.

The Title Bar can be a label also ( no standard tile bar is used in EzSkin

it's here...

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...st&p=307380

Or, just use the buttons...

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...amp;showfile=33

8)

NEWHeader1.png

Unless you use some of the methods that others have supplied, your chances of making all the GUIs appear identical are some place between slim and nul considering that the shell is different between Windows versions.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Here's just a thought.

Wouldn't it be possible to copy all the runtimes and stuff from a xp machine and then create the window through them?

Or on a second thought maybe this stuff probably takes place in the kernel, idk.

Broken link? PM me and I'll send you the file!

Here's just a thought.

Wouldn't it be possible to copy all the runtimes and stuff from a xp machine and then create the window through them?

Or on a second thought maybe this stuff probably takes place in the kernel, idk.

Won't work. A lot of the dlls involved have the same name in both versions of Windows but some of the functionality has changed.

Edit: Not to mention all the bitching Vista will do when you attempt to change some system files.

Edited by GEOSoft

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

Won't work. A lot of the dlls involved have the same name in both versions of Windows but some of the functionality has changed.

Edit: Not to mention all the bitching Vista will do when you attempt to change some system files.

Yeah, but doesn't dll's in the programs working directory gets higher priority when windows loads them?

So if I put Kernel32.dll (from xp) in the same dir as the program doesn't windows try to load the old dll first, or?

Yeah, but doesn't dll's in the programs working directory gets higher priority when windows loads them?

So if I put Kernel32.dll (from xp) in the same dir as the program doesn't windows try to load the old dll first, or?

If your code specificly called the dll files in the programs folder then that's the way it should work. In most cases the system dlls will already have loaded so it should still fail. And I'm reasonably sure that any calls to system Dll files in the AutoIt code will be to the system version.

George

If your code specificly called the dll files in the programs folder then that's the way it should work. In most cases the system dlls will already have loaded so it should still fail. And I'm reasonably sure that any calls to system Dll files in the AutoIt code will be to the system version.

Just tried loading user32.dll from a winxp machine inta an executable on my vista machine. It crashed.

I'm pretty sure windows doesn't like you trying to fiddle with this kind of stuff :)

Just tried loading user32.dll from a winxp machine inta an executable on my vista machine. It crashed.

I'm pretty sure windows doesn't like you trying to fiddle with this kind of stuff :)

Not only doesn't like it but you are normaly not allowed to do it, plain and simple. Your experiment just proved that.

George

Hi,

thanks to all! I will test the script Valuater suggested.

IMO it is very strange that nobody else before ran into this problem/challenge.

A few scripts I wrote do look totally different on my Vista machine than on my XP. Colors, fonts, size, etc. Going to use the classic look is not want I wanted. (somebody suggested that, but thx)

Mega

The way I use to make them almost identical, is to put images from an existing Operating System, for example, the red Close X button, you make a PrintScreen of it, cut it with an image processor, and apply the image in your app. But it is more difficult with menus where you have the selections in dark blue in XP, while in Vista they are light blue (hard to see where the current selection is).

For GUICtrlCreateGroup, you should draw it yourself, as they are almost invisible in Vista.......

Cheers, Charvi

Thanks, I guess it is okay, when a combobox looks like other comboboxes on that system.

My main proplem was, that I had put important information in the titlebar (headline) with GuiCreate and then the font and size was different so that the user couldn't read the whole information. :)

Mega