IE form question

I need to make a script that:

Opens IE at a particular web page ;I can do this OK

Inputs username and password ; Reading the help, this seems straightforward

Waits for user input into several text boxes and submission of form ; the user input values are checked by the website and if OK submission continues, and if not the user is prompted to re-enter the incorrect items [eg a check of internal e-mail address against LDAP directory, so I can't request the input values via AutoIt then submit them knowing there won't be an error as i don't have the LDAP access]

Most importantly, I need to be able to read the information that was entered by the user (to write to a log file).

is this possible? if so, how?

many thanks,

William

Isn't that keylogging ? Except that it's in another way.

Not really.

I want to be able to read what the user put in AFTER it's been validated by the website - ie what actually gets sent.

it might take 2 or more attempts to get it right for some fat-fingered users!

Thanks,

William

You're trying to get the information from the server or read it from the control ?

It wouldn't be able to get it from the server if the server is secured ..

I was hoping to get it from the browser, after it has been input by user, but before it is sent to the server.

There may be a fundamental flaw in my reasoning here - I'm not sure how IE deals with the input data - does it retain it locally until the submit button is clicked, or is it passed immediately to the server?

if the latter, i will have to approach the problem differently.

William

More a man in the middle type exploit I'd say.

Physhing anyone?

Entirely legit!

We have a system to transfer patient information by SFTP. It's uploaded to a site and a download link is sent to the recipient.

The password has to be sent separatley, and because of the fiddly security requirements the users often forget the password they ended up using!

i just want to be able to log the recipient and the password they were sent, so that if (when!) they call in and claim they've lost the password, we can re-issue the correct one.

It's a;ll done over the NHS (private) network, so unless any of you work for the NHS and have an N3 connection, i can't link you to the site (it has a nww. url).

William

PS when the first part of the form is submitted and has been validated, the second page appears, into which the file location has to be entered.

I know how to enter this, but is there a way the appearance of the second page can trigger the required action?

I was hoping to get it from the browser, after it has been input by user, but before it is sent to the server.

There may be a fundamental flaw in my reasoning here - I'm not sure how IE deals with the input data - does it retain it locally until the submit button is clicked, or is it passed immediately to the server?

if the latter, i will have to approach the problem differently.

William

It is the former. The data is passed all at once (well... AJAX can play tricks on you, but typically it is all at once). Suggest you get DebugBar and check out the HTTP(S) tab when you submit a form.

You can certainly do this, but it is not simple - it takes some understanding of events in the DOM and/or writing some javascript into the page (see _IEHeadInsertEventScript). You'll need to be motivated to do some learning...

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble