how to get window info of xp login box at startup, automatic logon script

Hello all,

What I'm looking to do is have a script that will log into multiple workstations on a domain with the same username and password. I've scoured the forums hoping that someone had come up with a solution that I can use and the closest I can find is where someone suggested using rclogon (rclogon.sourceforge.net/)

The problem that I have with this program is that when I send the username and password it is putting them both in the username box, so it's not working. Rclogon is just a gui for psexec and a program called logon.exe(which is not open source) but it gave me the idea to just write my own logon program and use psexec to push it out to all of my workstations.

So, what I need to do is write a simple script that will just enter username, password and click ok. I just don't know how I go about getting the field names etc. of the login screen so that I can ensure the username and password are being put in the right place.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

I have another question.

can a compiled autoit script run before a user has logged into windows xp?

I remember reading something about this before but I can't seem to find it anywhere

To Run a Script before login you need to install / run it as a service. RunAs Service UDF

In my opinion, hooking into the Gina chain with your own authentication element for remote login would be ideal. MS Gina Documentation

--- TTFN

In my opinion, hooking into the Gina chain with your own authentication element for remote login would be ideal. MS Gina Documentation

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think I'm going to need it to run as a service, at least I hope not. I was thinking that by using psexec to push it to the remote machine I could just run the script in interactive mode.

I have read the msgina documentation that you sent me the link for, I understand the process(sort of) but how do I go about hooking into it. Can I use autoit to send the information using the dll?

would you know of any similar examples I could even have a look at?

All I need to do is pass the username and password. I need to try and have this working for tomorrow night so I'm going to be working on it all day I think

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think I'm going to need it to run as a service, at least I hope not. I was thinking that by using psexec to push it to the remote machine I could just run the script in interactive mode.

I have read the msgina documentation that you sent me the link for, I understand the process(sort of) but how do I go about hooking into it. Can I use autoit to send the information using the dll?

would you know of any similar examples I could even have a look at?

All I need to do is pass the username and password. I need to try and have this working for tomorrow night so I'm going to be working on it all day I think

Sadly, I haven't yet attempted to create my own gina hook but hope to do so in the future. At the moment though I'm unable to consult much further on that.

Just wondering.. what is the ultimate goal of doing this?

Having systems automatically log in at a certain time?

Execute a program remotely?

This might help me to identify some possible routes to solve the problem.

--- TTFN

Sadly, I haven't yet attempted to create my own gina hook but hope to do so in the future. At the moment though I'm unable to consult much further on that.

Just wondering.. what is the ultimate goal of doing this?

Having systems automatically log in at a certain time?

Execute a program remotely?

This might help me to identify some possible routes to solve the problem.

I actually had to do this last year and gave up because I ran out of time, bit like now. You would think that I should have put my mind to it over the last 12 months.

Twice a year the company has an open day, so to speak. What I need to do is have all of the machines log in using the same username and password(which has restricted rights) so that I can then have them run different powerpoint presentations to show off different aspects of the company.

We have over 200 workstations on multiple sites, it's a total pain. I had tried writing a script last year using vnc, the problem was that you cant get any info from the vnc window to wait on applications loading etc.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to do this with autoit.

hmmm you are bored to di it with your self ??? i mean whats the deal to click on username tyoed it and then pass?

Am I bored?

The deal is that I have roughly 250 workstations spread over 4 buildings on 2 sites. I think I'd be quite bored walking around all of those machines!

AutoIT has Registry functions, such as RegWrite. Microsoft has info on setting up automatic logon at:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231

Here's some sample AutoIT code:

RegWrite ("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon","DefaultUserName", "REG_SZ", "UserName")

RegWrite ("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon","DefaultPassword", "REG_SZ", "PassWord")

RegWrite ("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon","AutoAdminLogon", "REG_SZ", 1)

After running the script, reboot the PC. I've used PS Tools PSSHUTDOWN.EXE, a freebie available here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896649.aspx

You might also take a look at the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce, and also \Run.

• 6 months later...

Hello all,

What I'm looking to do is have a script that will log into multiple workstations on a domain with the same username and password. I've scoured the forums hoping that someone had come up with a solution that I can use and the closest I can find is where someone suggested using rclogon (rclogon.sourceforge.net/)

The problem that I have with this program is that when I send the username and password it is putting them both in the username box, so it's not working. Rclogon is just a gui for psexec and a program called logon.exe(which is not open source) but it gave me the idea to just write my own logon program and use psexec to push it out to all of my workstations.

So, what I need to do is write a simple script that will just enter username, password and click ok. I just don't know how I go about getting the field names etc. of the login screen so that I can ensure the username and password are being put in the right place.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Hey I am the author of rclogon, sorry it is not working for you. I have tried my best to find another solution other then the command line logon.exe (closed source), which is the program causing your problem. If memory serves me autoit was one of the other options I tried but I never could get it work.

While I have not tried it yet I beleave italc (http://italc.sourceforge.net/) has a login feature now. It may be a more supported version then mine is.

-bj