Error only running when compiled

On Win9x, seeing behavior where running as a script, everything operates as expected. When same script is compiled, the following error occurs:

The line of code is highlighted, is an external RunWait call... What can be causing this problem? If code samples will help, I'll be happy to upload them.

Error: Unable to execute the external program.

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

I did see post : #58421 , relating to the comspec not having spaces around ' /c ' causing this error, am attaching the line of code to see if anyone spots a syntax error that I'm missing....

$el = RunWait(FileGetShortName($4dos) & " /c " & $ftpget & '  -z -V -r 0 -u ' & $u & ' -p ' & $p & ' ' & $host & ' ' & '"' & $PC_dir & '"' & ' ' & $file & '  >&> "' & $ftp_result & '"', $PC_dir,@SW_MINIMIZE)

From ClipGet() - identical results running as script and compiled....

C:\PROGRA~1\CAAE_FTP\4DOS.COM /c ncftpget.exe  -z -V -r 0 -u username -p password hostname "C:\Program Files\CAAE_FTP" "/control/current.ftpusers" >&> "C:\Program Files\CAAE_FTP\ftp.stderr"
Edited by flyingboz

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

Too many variables

I agree.. I modified the first post to display the ClipGet() results - Identical and

to my eye, correct responses running both as a script and compiled, but the compiled version blows up.

C:\PROGRA~1\CAAE_FTP\4DOS.COM /c ncftpget.exe  -z -V -r 0 -u username -p password cube4.bot.ncsu.edu "C:\Program Files\CAAE_FTP" "/control/current.ftpusers" >&> "C:\Program Files\CAAE_FTP\ftp.stderr"

Reading the help file before you post... Not only will it make you look smarter, it will make you smarter.

what is the length on that line? Win98 has a length restriction to the command line.

Lar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lmao: That's why I'm using 4DOS instead of command.com win98 limit is less than 127 chars, hardcoded, 4DOS is 512. Plenty of room / environment space - I can copy/paste line into a 4dos shell and run fine - I can run from f5 in scite just fine. I just can't stinking compile it and have it work!!!!

If it matters, I'm running latest "gold" release.

Edited by flyingboz

Updated to remove some more confusion - used FileGetShortName to have fewer spaces to worry about...

$el = RunWait(FileGetShortName($4dos) & " /c " & FileGetShortname($PC_dir & '\ncftpget.exe') & '  -z -V -r 0 -u ' & $u & ' -p ' & $p & ' ' & $host & ' ' & FileGetShortName($PC_dir) & ' ' & $file & ' >&> ' & FileGetShortName($ftp_result), $PC_dir,@SW_MINIMIZE)

C:\PROGRA~1\CAAE_FTP\4DOS.COM /c C:\PROGRA~1\CAAE_FTP\NCFTPGET.EXE  -z -V -r 0 -u username -p password hostname C:\PROGRA~1\CAAE_FTP /control/current.ftpusers >&> C:\PROGRA~1\CAAE_FTP\FTP~1.STD