Dynamically allocated variable names for checkboxes

ss3vegeta

Hello,

I'm new to this language and I'm having a little trouble with checkboxes. What Im trying to do is create a list of checkboxes that is created dynamically from a 2 dimensional array to simplify the code:

$loop = 0
$positionTop = $guiHorizontalSpacing*2

While $loop < $arraySize
    If $loop <= Ceiling($arraySize/2) Then
        $programs[$loop][$arrVariableIndex] = Assign("CheckBox"&$loop, GUICtrlCreateCheckbox($programs[$loop][$arrCheckBoxDesc], $guiBorder, $positionTop))
    ElseIf $loop = (Ceiling($arraySize/2)+1) Then
        $positionTop = $guiHorizontalSpacing*2; reset the spacing for second column
        $programs[$loop][$arrVariableIndex] = Assign("CheckBox"&$loop, GUICtrlCreateCheckbox($programs[$loop][$arrCheckBoxDesc], $guiWidth/2, $positionTop))
    Else
        $programs[$loop][$arrVariableIndex] = Assign("CheckBox"&$loop, GUICtrlCreateCheckbox($programs[$loop][$arrCheckBoxDesc], $guiWidth/2, $positionTop))
    EndIf
    $loop = $loop + 1
    $positionTop = $positionTop + $guiHorizontalSpacing
WEnd

This seems to work perfectly but Im having a problem trying to simplify the code using GUICtrlRead().

$loop = 0

While $loop < $arraySize
    $activeCheckBox = $programs[$loop][$arrVariableIndex]
    $buttonState = GUICtrlRead($activeCheckBox)
    If $buttonState = $GUI_CHECKED Then
        $programs[$loop][$arrInstallKey] = $installFlag
        $numberOfSoftwareSelected = $numberOfSoftwareSelected + 1
    EndIf
    $loop = $loop + 1
WEnd
If $numberOfSoftwareSelected == 0 Then
    GUIDelete($guiTitle)
Exit
EndIf

Any help that can be offered will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by ss3vegeta

From help file under GuiCtrlRead -

For Checkbox, Radio control several states can be returned as $GUI_FOCUS and $GUI_CHECKED,. So use i.e. BitAnd(GUICtrlRead($Item),$GUI_CHECKED) to test if the control is checked.

You could also consider storing just the returned control ID in your array instead of creating a variable for it, then storing the variable.

Edited by wraithdu

Thanks for the tip. I however can't get it it to work for me either. Is it possible I'm using it incorrectly?

; Main Array declaration
Local $programs[19][4] = [["CheckBox0", "Dot Net All in One Package", "001DNF.exe", 0], ["CheckBox1", "Windows Defender", "MSBGBOX1.exe", 0], ["CheckBox2", "Windows Search", "003SCH.exe", 0], ["CheckBox3", "Calculator Plus", "004Cal.exe", 0], ["CheckBox4", "Office Enterprise 2007 Full Install", "005OE7.exe", 0], ["CheckBox5", "Symantec Endpoint Security", "MSGBOX2.exe", 0], ["CheckBox6", "Notepad++", "007npp.exe", 0], ["CheckBox7", "Acrobat Professional 9", "008AP9.exe", 0], ["CheckBox8", "CDBurnerXP", "009CDB.exe", 0], ["CheckBox9", "Digital Image Suite 2006 With Updates", "010DIS.exe", 0], ["CheckBox10", "FileZilla ", "011FiZ.exe", 0], ["CheckBox11", "FireFox", "012FFX.exe", 0], ["CheckBox12", "Klite Codec Pack", "013KCP.exe", 0], ["CheckBox13", "Microsoft Money 2007", "MSGBOX3.exe", 0], ["CheckBox14", "Firewall", "015pg2.exe", 0], ["CheckBox15", "PowerDVD 8 with Updates", "016PDV.exe", 0], ["CheckBox16", "Contribute Package", "017Sly.exe", 0], ["CheckBox17", "Windows Washer", "018WWa.exe", 0], ["CheckBox18", "Winrar 3.80", "MSGBOX1.exe", 0]]

; Variables
$arrVariableIndex = 0; first element of the second dimension
$arrCheckBoxDesc = 1; second element of the second dimensiobn
$arrFileName = 2; third elementn of the second dimension
$arrInstallKey = 3; fourth element of the second dimension
$arraySize = UBound($programs, 1)
$numberOfSoftwareSelected = 0
$installFlag = 1; this is is used in the third element to flag for install

; Create GUI
$guiBorder = 10; the borders on all sides of the GUI
$guiHorizontalSpacing = 20; The spacing for checkboxes, also used once as vertical spacing between buttons
$guiWidth = 600; The overall width of the GUI
$buttonHeigth = 25; The height of the cancel and install buttons
$buttonWidth = 100; The width of the cancel and install buttons
$guiHeight = (Ceiling($arraySize/2)*$guiHorizontalSpacing) + $buttonHeigth + ($guiBorder*2) + ($guiHorizontalSpacing*3)  
; GuiHeight is the number of software options divided by 2 multiplied by the vertical spacing required for them
; plus the height of the buttons, a border on the top and bottom of the screen, and an additional 2 Horizontal spaces
; to account for spacing between the text area, check boxes and buttons and 1 additional horizontal space for the subtext
$cancelButtonLeftMarker = ($guiWidth - ($buttonWidth*2) - $guiHorizontalSpacing) /2; This positions the cancel button so that both buttons are centered
$installButtonLeftMarker = $guiWidth - $cancelButtonLeftMarker - $buttonWidth; Uses the position of the cancel button to determine the placement of Install button
$guiTitle = "Software Addons"; The title at the top of the GUI
$guiSubText = "Select the progams you would like installed by checking them, then select ""Install""."; Subtext

GUICreate($guiTitle, $guiWidth, $guiHeight)
GUICtrlCreateLabel($guiSubText ,$guiBorder,$guiBorder)
$cancelButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Cancel", $cancelButtonLeftMarker, $guiHeight - $guiHorizontalSpacing - $guiBorder, $buttonWidth, $buttonHeigth); centers the buttons
$installButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Install", $installButtonLeftMarker, $guiHeight - $guiHorizontalSpacing - $guiBorder, $buttonWidth, $buttonHeigth); centers the buttons
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

$loop = 0
$positionTop = $guiHorizontalSpacing*2

While $loop < $arraySize
    If $loop <= Ceiling($arraySize/2) Then
        $programs[$loop][$arrVariableIndex] = Assign("CheckBox"&$loop, GUICtrlCreateCheckbox($programs[$loop][$arrCheckBoxDesc], $guiBorder, $positionTop))
    ElseIf $loop = (Ceiling($arraySize/2)+1) Then
        $positionTop = $guiHorizontalSpacing*2; reset the spacing for second column
    Else
    EndIf
    $loop = $loop + 1
WEnd

While 1
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Select
        Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            GUIDelete($guiTitle); These are done one at a time because case 3 needs to delete before leaving the case
            ExitLoop
        Case $msg = $cancelButton
            GUIDelete($guiTitle)
            ExitLoop
        Case $msg = $installButton
            $loop = 0

While $loop < $arraySize; while the loop is smaller than the array
;$activeCheckBox = $programs[$loop][$arrVariableIndex]; loop through the array and set each one active
;$buttonState = BitAnd(GUICtrlRead($programs[$loop][$arrVariableIndex]),$GUI_CHECKED)
                If BitAnd(GUICtrlRead($programs[$loop][$arrVariableIndex]),$GUI_CHECKED) Then
                    $programs[$loop][$arrInstallKey] = $installFlag
                    $numberOfSoftwareSelected = $numberOfSoftwareSelected + 1
                EndIf
                $loop = $loop + 1
            WEnd
            If $numberOfSoftwareSelected == 0 Then
                GUIDelete($guiTitle)
                Exit
            EndIf
            GUIDelete($guiTitle)
            ProgressOn("Installing", "This could take a while!", "Working")
            $loop = 0
            $ProgressFlag = 0

While $loop < $arraySize
                If $programs[$loop][$arrInstallKey] = $installFlag Then
                    RunWait($programs[$loop][$arrFileName])
                    $ProgressFlag = $ProgressFlag + 1
                    ProgressSet( Ceiling(($ProgressFlag/$numberOfSoftwareSelected) * 100), $ProgressFlag & " of " & $numberOfSoftwareSelected & " programs installed so far.")
                EndIf
                $loop = $loop + 1
            WEnd
            ProgressSet(100, "Installation Complete")
            Sleep(2500)
            ProgressOff()
    EndSelect
WEnd

Thanks,

ss3

Edited by ss3vegeta

• 2 months later...

I don't have this older version of the code anymore. What I can share with you is that I made the array a global variable and it's now populated from a simple text file. The $arrVariableIndex and $arrCheckBoxDesc are just elements of the array... The code I used to dynamically allocate the check boxes is now a function, which I'll happily share. I hope it helps you.

;Display the list of software choices
Func DisplayChoices($arraySize, $guiBorder, $guiHorizontalSpacing, $guiWidth)
$loop = 0
$positionTop = $guiHorizontalSpacing*3

While $loop < $arraySize
    If $loop < Ceiling($arraySize/2) Then
        $programs[$loop][$arrVariableIndex] = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox($programs[$loop][$arrCheckBoxDesc], $guiBorder*2, $positionTop, ($guiWidth/2)-($guiBorder*2))
    ElseIf $loop = (Ceiling($arraySize/2)) Then
        $positionTop = $guiHorizontalSpacing*3 ; reset the spacing for second column
        $programs[$loop][$arrVariableIndex] = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox($programs[$loop][$arrCheckBoxDesc], ($guiWidth/2)+$guiBorder, $positionTop, ($guiWidth/2)-($guiBorder*2))
    Else
        $programs[$loop][$arrVariableIndex] = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox($programs[$loop][$arrCheckBoxDesc], ($guiWidth/2)+$guiBorder, $positionTop, ($guiWidth/2)-($guiBorder*2))
    EndIf
    GUICtrlSetFont($programs[$loop][$arrVariableIndex], 8, 800, 0, "Arial")
    GUICtrlSetColor($programs[$loop][$arrVariableIndex], 0xFFFFFF)

$loop = $loop + 1
WEnd
EndFuncoÝ÷ Ù:+y§mê)*'²Ç¥yË^uúèØ^rº1zÂ.±ëaÇîËb¢v®¶­sc²gVæ7FöâvWG2FR6V6¶&÷W2FBfR&VVâ6V6¶VBæB7F÷&W2FV"6öçG&öÂG2£²âFRf'7BVÆVÖVçBöbFR6V6öæBFÖVç6öâöbFR'&¤gVæ2&VD÷Föç56VÆV7FVBb33c¶'&6¦RÂb33c¶ç7FÆÄfÆr b33c¶Æö÷Ò  vÆRb33c¶Æö÷fÇC²b33c¶'&6¦R²vÆRFRÆö÷26ÖÆÆW"FâFR'& b&DæBuT7G&Å&VBb33c·&öw&×5²b33c¶Æö÷Õ²b33c¶'%f&&ÆTæFWÒÂb33c´uTô4T4´TBFVà b33c·&öw&×5²b33c¶Æö÷Õ²b33c¶'$ç7FÆĶWÒÒb33c¶ç7FÆÄfÆp b33c¶çVÖ&W$öe6ögGv&U6VÆV7FVBÒb33c¶çVÖ&W$öe6ögGv&U6VÆV7FVB² VæD` b33c¶Æö÷Òb33c¶Æö÷² tVæ@ bb33c¶çVÖ&W$öe6ögGv&U6VÆV7FVBÓÒFVà uTFVÆWFRb33c¶wVFFÆR W@ VæD`¤VæDgVæ

I hope it helps.

ss3

Edited by ss3vegeta

• 1 year later...

I don't have this older version of the code anymore. What I can share with you is that I made the array a global variable and it's now populated from a simple text file. The $arrVariableIndex and $arrCheckBoxDesc are just elements of the array... The code I used to dynamically allocate the check boxes is now a function, which I'll happily share. I hope it helps you.

;Display the list of software choices
Func DisplayChoices($arraySize, $guiBorder, $guiHorizontalSpacing, $guiWidth)
$loop = 0
$positionTop = $guiHorizontalSpacing*3

While $loop < $arraySize
    If $loop < Ceiling($arraySize/2) Then
        $programs[$loop][$arrVariableIndex] = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox($programs[$loop][$arrCheckBoxDesc], $guiBorder*2, $positionTop, ($guiWidth/2)-($guiBorder*2))
    ElseIf $loop = (Ceiling($arraySize/2)) Then
        $positionTop = $guiHorizontalSpacing*3 ; reset the spacing for second column
    Else
    EndIf
    GUICtrlSetFont($programs[$loop][$arrVariableIndex], 8, 800, 0, "Arial")
    GUICtrlSetColor($programs[$loop][$arrVariableIndex], 0xFFFFFF)

$loop = $loop + 1
WEnd
EndFuncoÝ÷ Ù:+y§mê)*'²Ç¥yË^uúèØ^rº1zÂ.±ëaÇîËb¢v®¶­sc²gVæ7FöâvWG2FR6V6¶&÷W2FBfR&VVâ6V6¶VBæB7F÷&W2FV"6öçG&öÂG2£²âFRf'7BVÆVÖVçBöbFR6V6öæBFÖVç6öâöbFR'&¤gVæ2&VD÷Föç56VÆV7FVBb33c¶'&6¦RÂb33c¶ç7FÆÄfÆr b33c¶Æö÷Ò  vÆRb33c¶Æö÷fÇC²b33c¶'&6¦R²vÆRFRÆö÷26ÖÆÆW"FâFR'& b&DæBuT7G&Å&VBb33c·&öw&×5²b33c¶Æö÷Õ²b33c¶'%f&&ÆTæFWÒÂb33c´uTô4T4´TBFVà b33c·&öw&×5²b33c¶Æö÷Õ²b33c¶'$ç7FÆĶWÒÒb33c¶ç7FÆÄfÆp b33c¶çVÖ&W$öe6ögGv&U6VÆV7FVBÒb33c¶çVÖ&W$öe6ögGv&U6VÆV7FVB² VæD` b33c¶Æö÷Òb33c¶Æö÷² tVæ@ bb33c¶çVÖ&W$öe6ögGv&U6VÆV7FVBÓÒFVà uTFVÆWFRb33c¶wVFFÆR W@ VæD`¤VæDgVæ

I hope it helps.

ss3

The code seems to have gotten a little "quirky" at the end. Can you repost this?

Thank you,

Larry