is my monitor working?

punisa

Probabbly the data is collected at start up, not in real time. I'll perform additional checks. This could work as a partial solution, although the ideal would be a small loop that would alert as soon as monitor looses contact.

Maybe some sort of call to the video card driver or something. I know my video card auto detects if I have an external display connected vs. the built in LCD Screen. Good luck.

what about :

_WinAPI_EnumDisplayDevices()

Cram...

Displays some usefull info, but also gathers prefetched data from computer, not the actual monitor.

I should have named the topic "pinging the monitor" actually :)

carpe diem

Maybe some sort of call to the video card driver or something. I know my video card auto detects if I have an external display connected vs. the built in LCD Screen. Good luck.

Yes, mine also detects it. It shows "Panasonic plasma TV" when connected, but again I believe it gets this info on computer start up if I remember well. Even if it gets it live, I'd have no idea how to call video card driver :lmao:

Ahhh, blast my lack of knowledge !

Let's see.. I believe computer can detect when for example mouse or keyboard is detached, so I guess it somehow pings the device - throws a looping signal to check if it exists.

I remember reading somewhere that it's also important as to how the PC is actually connected. As I recall someone said that a HDMI cable should be used instead of VGA.

I'm sorry that the topic is kinda drifting away from "auto it", that wasn't my intention. I hoped there would be an easy way to accomplish this with Auto It, something as reading the current memory usage.

Anyway, all good ideas are still welcome, maybe we can still do something here :)

carpe diem

I don't think there is a reliable way to do this, AutoIt or not. I've searched all over.

There is a function called GetDevicePowerState in Kernel32.dll, but it says "This function cannot be used to query the power state of a display device.":

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372690(VS.85).aspx

Thanks for that info weaponx.

Yeah, I believe you are right :lmao: Well isn't that strange if you think about it. I can come up with many situations when such a function would be very usefull, still it seems there is no protocol that would allow one to put it in use.

This actually means that if you have multiple public display screens or some user info points, even if you have them connected to the internet, you would have no idea if your displays are working or not.

The trickiest part is that if one of your monitors die, you wouldn't even know it untill physically checking the location.

What to do in such a scenario?

Ok, we figured that data gets loaded on start-up. So to know that a public display is working I guess you'd have to let's say - restart the computer once in 24 hours so it can check the monitor state on start-up?

Hehe, I can already see that my boss is not going to like this one bit :)

carpe diem