Need the start menu listings

dew

I need to create a script in Vista to do the following -

1. Get listing of the Start Menu (All Programs).

2. From the listings be able to double click on certain programs in order to start them.

3. And so on with the rest of the script...

I have not been able to get the menu listing, my question is -

1. Has anyone done this and would be willing to share how to do it?

2. From the listing once I have it, I thinking of putting the list into a file, then call the applications in the rest of the script. How can I do this easily?

Ahead of time, thanks to all that would be able to help. Thanks.

-dave

only way I can think of is to check files and directories that the start menu itself is populated from, they are here for Vista:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup (all users)

C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ (current user)

[u]You can download my projects at:[/u] Pulsar Software

only way I can think of is to check files and directories that the start menu itself is populated from, they are here for Vista:

C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ (current user)

Hey that would be quite crude. I can think of another solution. Using WMI to query all the start menu items. U can directy feed the result into a txt file.

here's the windows scriptomatic file: u can borrow the required code readily from there. Select "Win32_Program Group" and "Win32_Program Group Item" from there. I don't have the time to write a script. But u can easily get the right code from here.

[font="Garamond"]Manjish Naik[/font]Engineer, Global Services - QPSHoneywell Automation India LimitedE-mail - Manjish.Naik@honeywell.com

Manjish, thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep this suggestion in mind.

oops! Sorry Magleod I used the wrong name for you.

Hey that would be quite crude. I can think of another solution. Using WMI to query all the start menu items. U can directy feed the result into a txt file.

here's the windows scriptomatic file: u can borrow the required code readily from there. Select "Win32_Program Group" and "Win32_Program Group Item" from there. I don't have the time to write a script. But u can easily get the right code from here.

Manjish, thank you for the suggestion. I have dloaded the zipped file and will take a look at it very shortly.