Resuming loaded copy of a suspended process

JRowe

*Edit*

I want to instantly launch large applications, like Photoshop. I figured if I could slim down memory requirements and loading times, I'd be able to use larger apps on my Acer Aspire One. It's only got a 1.6 GHz chip and 1G of ram to work with. So I thought that if I had a slim profile/snapshot for each of the larger apps I wanted to run, I could just load those over a suspended dummy process, and then resume. It would cut loading times significantly. Also, there are several games which would benefit from this.

Edited by JRowe

I guess Vista has a feature like this called Superfetch. I'd like to launch my applications instantly... there's only a few that need this. Thanks for any help! :)

That is almost exactly what I want. Thanks, Smoke_N :)

It disappears the program and drops the memory in use significantly. I just need to create an application launcher that manages the suspend/resume cycle for each. Only thing better would be storing the minimized application to disk and being able to launch it from that minimal memory footprint.

Edited by JRowe

If I make a copy of a suspended process, then write that to disk, can I then create a new process, rename it, suspend the new one, load the original copy, and resume?

Much thanks for any input. :)

• Moderators

Don't make multiple topics on the same subject.

Topics merged.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

I don't know if its what your talking about, but I was asking a friend of mine one time if there was any way to store data into your ram one time, and he told me that the feature exists in windows vista but not winXP. Basically, instead of suspending the program, it stores it in your ram.

I believe that's called SuperFetch, and it's a refinement of the prefetch feature in XP, which basically does what I'm wanting to do here. I've been looking for ways of doing this, and I think it's possible. I'm working out how to get a copy of a suspended process out of memory. :)

So far, I've found http://ntsecurity.nu/toolbox/pmdump/ . As freeware, I think it's freely redistributable, but I'll have to find out.

Anyway, I'm experimenting with creating a memory dump from a suspended process, resuming that process, and killing it. I then create a new process, grab the handle, and overwrite it with the memory dump on disk.

I'm pretty much winging it, I'll have to see where it ends up.