Checking if an OCX / DLL has been registered?

I think I may have posted this in the wrong form however I am in the process of a writing a test tool that will check that an installation package has correctly deployed. This includes checking files, registry, services and other aspects of the deployed package however I have encountered a snag and that is determining if a file has been registered or not.

I have searched for the past day for some sort of real solution but I have had little luck and would really love a snip it that takes a file name and checks to see if it has been registered on the current system using AutoIT. The key factor is I do not have direct access to the CLSID or class name directly unless I start popping open code for ever component we have here. I was hoping for a simple solution if possible? Any help would be welcome.

In AutoIt it's enough to check if the returned variable is an object instance like 'If Not IsObj($oVar) Then' or in VB you can use On Error Resume Next and check if Err.Number <> 0 or just If Err would be enough. In most third party dll/ocx I've worked in the past there was an additionally version method .