GWT Clicking a button

bo8ster

Hi all

I want to get into GWT automation and was looking at http://www.gawkat.com/ClicklistenerTest/.

I want to automate the clicking of the button. I could use mouse coords and then click but is there a better way like getting a handle to the button?

Looking at the source, I don't know how to do it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Post your code because code says more then your words can. SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y. Use Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)[topic="84960"]Brett F's Learning To Script with AutoIt V3[/topic][topic="21048"]Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... is now in Session[/topic]Contribution: [topic="87994"]Get SVN Rev Number[/topic], [topic="93527"]Control Handle under mouse[/topic], [topic="91966"]A Presentation using AutoIt[/topic], [topic="112756"]Log ConsoleWrite output in Scite[/topic]

Hi all

I want to get into GWT automation and was looking at http://www.gawkat.com/ClicklistenerTest/.

I want to automate the clicking of the button. I could use mouse coords and then click but is there a better way like getting a handle to the button?

Looking at the source, I don't know how to do it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I have no idea what a GWT is, but if the controls are visible to the standard Windows APIs then AU3Info.exe will give you the reference (i.e. "[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:5]"). That is enough for ControlClick(), or ControlGetHandle() will get the HWND.

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Thanks for the reply. I guess I was not clear. GTW is Google Web Toolkit which allows you to create Java Script as easy as you write Swing or VB.

I think that the button is located within the js so things like _IEGetObjById wont work.

Post your code because code says more then your words can. SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y. Use Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)[topic="84960"]Brett F's Learning To Script with AutoIt V3[/topic][topic="21048"]Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... is now in Session[/topic]Contribution: [topic="87994"]Get SVN Rev Number[/topic], [topic="93527"]Control Handle under mouse[/topic], [topic="91966"]A Presentation using AutoIt[/topic], [topic="112756"]Log ConsoleWrite output in Scite[/topic]

well, most JS alike controls usually show the line of code get executed when you hover the mouse upon them, "Navigating" to this line should execute the command(s) unless, and I've came up with this situation several times, the JS button or link check that this event occurred onclick :). Try this and if it fails then maybe there is another work around.

I was looking at the source and I can't find it. I was hoping someone had already tried this and just knew how to do it or that it couldn't be done.

I think the scripts, HTML and what not are deployed as an war or ear which is why there is no path to the js, only a name space reference.

Anyway, for your reference, this is it excluding comments

CODE
<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

<title>Wrapper HTML for ClicklistenerTest</title>

<style type="text/css">

body,td,a,div,.p{font-family:arial,sans-serif}

div,td{color:#000000}

a:link,.w,.w a:link{color:#0000cc}

a:visited{color:#551a8b}

a:active{color:#ff0000}

</style>

<!-- -->

<!-- This script loads your compiled module. -->

<!-- If you add any GWT meta tags, they must -->

<!-- be added before this line. -->

<!-- -->

<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="com.tribling.gwt.test.clicklistener.ClicklistenerTest.nocache.js"></script>

</head>

<body>

<iframe src="java script:''" id="__gwt_historyFrame" style="position:absolute;width:0;height:0;border:0"></iframe>

<h1>Google Web Toolkit Clicklistener and Changelistener Test</h1>

<div id="content"></div> <!-- Where is the button? -->

<script type="text/javascript">

var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www.");

document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));

</script>

var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-2862268-12");

pageTracker._initData();

pageTracker._trackPageview();

</script>

</body>

</html>

I was looking at the source and I can't find it. I was hoping someone had already tried this and just knew how to do it or that it couldn't be done.

I think the scripts, HTML and what not are deployed as an war or ear which is why there is no path to the js, only a name space reference.

Anyway, for your reference, this is it excluding comments

CODE
<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

<title>Wrapper HTML for ClicklistenerTest</title>

<style type="text/css">

body,td,a,div,.p{font-family:arial,sans-serif}

div,td{color:#000000}

a:link,.w,.w a:link{color:#0000cc}

a:visited{color:#551a8b}

a:active{color:#ff0000}

</style>

<!-- -->

<!-- This script loads your compiled module. -->

<!-- If you add any GWT meta tags, they must -->

<!-- be added before this line. -->

<!-- -->

<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="com.tribling.gwt.test.clicklistener.ClicklistenerTest.nocache.js"></script>

</head>

<body>

<iframe src="java script:''" id="__gwt_historyFrame" style="position:absolute;width:0;height:0;border:0"></iframe>

<h1>Google Web Toolkit Clicklistener and Changelistener Test</h1>

<div id="content"></div> <!-- Where is the button? -->

var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www.");

document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));

</script>

var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-2862268-12");

pageTracker._initData();

pageTracker._trackPageview();

</script>

</body>

</html>

It's in an iFrame. Have you checked the rendered page with a DOM inspector, like DebugBar? That should give you client-side DOM path to the object, which makes working with it using the IE.au3 UDF easy.

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Thanks for the advice. I got a hold of DebugBar and Firebug and I found it is within the content div.

This is the path /html/body/div/table/tbody/tr[2]/td/table/tbody/tr/td/table/tbody/tr/td[2]/button and the button is declared like so -

<button type="button" class="gwt-Button">Change Color</button>.

I tried the following with no success.

#include <IE.au3> 

Global $oIE = _IECreate ("http://www.gawkat.com/ClicklistenerTest/")
ConsoleWrite("starting ie")

;~ Global $iForm = _IEFrameGetObjByName  ($oIE, "__gwt_historyFrame")
;~ ConsoleWrite("iForm is " & $iForm)
Global $button = _IEGetObjByName ($oIE, "gwt-Button")
ConsoleWrite("button is " & $button )

I get starting ie--> IE.au3 V2.4-0 Warning from function _IEGetObjByName, $_IEStatus_NoMatch (Name: gwt-Button, Index: 0)

button is 0+>11:17:57 AutoIT3.exe ended.rc:0

What am I doing wrong?

Edited by bo8ster

Thanks for the advice. I got a hold of DebugBar and Firebug and I found it is within the content div.

This is the path /html/body/div/table/tbody/tr[2]/td/table/tbody/tr/td/table/tbody/tr/td[2]/button and the button is declared like so -

<button type="button" class="gwt-Button">Change Color</button>.

I tried the following with no success.

#include <IE.au3> 

ConsoleWrite("starting ie")

;~ Global $iForm = _IEFrameGetObjByName  ($oIE, "__gwt_historyFrame")
;~ ConsoleWrite("iForm is " & $iForm)
Global $button = _IEGetObjByName ($oIE, "gwt-Button")
ConsoleWrite("button is " & $button )

I get starting ie--> IE.au3 V2.4-0 Warning from function _IEGetObjByName, $_IEStatus_NoMatch (Name: gwt-Button, Index: 0)

button is 0+>11:17:57 AutoIT3.exe ended.rc:0

What am I doing wrong?

First you have to drill down into any Frames/iFrames. Then you will have to get the button by _IETagNameGetCollection() with the index or get the collection and loop through looking for the one you want, because class is not going match for name in _IEGetObjByName().

What I am looking from is in a Div within the body.

I have the tried the following with no success:

#include <IE.au3>
#include <array.au3>
;~ Open the webpage
ConsoleWrite("starting ie" & @CRLF)
;~ Try to get "<DIV id=content>" 
Global $oDiv = _IEGetObjById ($oIE, "content")
ConsoleWrite(_IEPropertyGet($oDiv, "innertext") & @CR)
;~ Try to get the tables
Global $oTable = _IETableGetCollection ($oIE)
ConsoleWrite("Table Info - " & "There are " & @extended & " tables on this page" & @CRLF)
$aTableData = _IETableWriteToArray ($oTable, True)
_ArrayDisplay($aTableData)

Output is

starting ie

Table Info - There are 0 tables on this page

--> IE.au3 V2.4-0 Error from function _IETableWriteToArray, $_IEStatus_InvalidObjectType

+>12:26:13 AutoIT3.exe ended.rc:0

+>12:26:14 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished

I should at least get the content div, any ideas?

What I am looking from is in a Div within the body.

I have the tried the following with no success:

#include <IE.au3>
#include <array.au3>
;~ Open the webpage
ConsoleWrite("starting ie" & @CRLF)
;~ Try to get "<DIV id=content>" 
Global $oDiv = _IEGetObjById ($oIE, "content")
ConsoleWrite(_IEPropertyGet($oDiv, "innertext") & @CR)
;~ Try to get the tables
Global $oTable = _IETableGetCollection ($oIE)
ConsoleWrite("Table Info - " & "There are " & @extended & " tables on this page" & @CRLF)
$aTableData = _IETableWriteToArray ($oTable, True)
_ArrayDisplay($aTableData)

Output is

starting ie

Table Info - There are 0 tables on this page

--> IE.au3 V2.4-0 Error from function _IETableWriteToArray, $_IEStatus_InvalidObjectType

+>12:26:13 AutoIT3.exe ended.rc:0

+>12:26:14 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished

I should at least get the content div, any ideas?

Add _IEErrorHandlerRegister() to the top of your script. I guess that div is not inside the iFrame, so that reference is not required. It can't tell if your $oDiv reference worked, because .innertext = 0 might be valid if there is no innertext at that level.

The _IETableWriteToArray() would not work because $oTable would be a collection, not a single table. You would need to loop through the collection to find the right table, or get the specific table by index on _IETableGetCollection(). But first $oDiv has to be valid. This would exhaustively drill down to the button, and if not should make it clear where it goes wrong:

#include <IE.au3>

_IEErrorHandlerRegister()

; DebugBar path:  /html/body/div/table/tbody/tr[2]/td/table/tbody/tr/td/table/tbody/tr/td[2]/button
; Button HTML:  <button type="button" class="gwt-Button">Change Color</button>.

; Get html body reference
$sURL = "http://www.gawkat.com/ClicklistenerTest/"
$oIE = _IECreate($sURL)

; Get div reference
$oDiv = _IEGetObjById ($oIE, "content")

; Get first table reference
$oTable1 = _IETableGetCollection ($oIE, 0)

; Get reference to third row (tr[2])
$oTR1 = _IETagNameGetCollection($oTable1, "TR", 2)

; Get reference to first data cell
$oTD1 = _IETagNameGetCollection($oTR1, "TD", 0)

; Get reference to first nested table
$oTable2 = _IETableGetCollection ($oTD1, 0)

; Get reference to first row 
$oTR2 = _IETagNameGetCollection($oTable2, "TR", 0)

; Get reference to first data cell
$oTD2 = _IETagNameGetCollection($oTR2, "TD", 0)

; Get reference to sub-nested table
$oTable3 = _IETableGetCollection ($oTD2, 0)

; Get reference to first row 
$oTR3 = _IETagNameGetCollection($oTable3, "TR", 0)

; Get reference to third data cell (td[2])
$oTD3 = _IETagNameGetCollection($oTR3, "TD", 2)

; Get reference to button
$colButtons = _IETagNameGetCollection($oTD3, "button")
For $oButton In $colButtons
    If $oButton.className = "gwt-Button" Then
        ConsoleWrite("Debug: Class match" & @LF)
        If $oButton.innertext = "Change Color" Then
            ConsoleWrite("Debug: Text match: click" & @LF)
            _IEAction($oButton, "click")
        Else
            ConsoleWrite("Debug: Text miss-match" & @LF)
        EndIf
    Else
        ConsoleWrite("Debug: Class miss-match" & @LF)
    EndIf
Next

Thanks heaps for your help PsaltyDS. You are correct, it is not in a Frame, just a div tag. Here is the output to your code

CODE
--> IE.au3 V2.4-0 Warning from function _IETableGetCollection, $_IEStatus_NoMatch

--> IE.au3 V2.4-0 Error from function _IETagNameGetCollection, $_IEStatus_InvalidDataType

--> IE.au3 V2.4-0 Error from function _IETagNameGetCollection, $_IEStatus_InvalidDataType

--> IE.au3 V2.4-0 Error from function _IETableGetCollection, $_IEStatus_InvalidDataType

--> IE.au3 V2.4-0 Error from function _IETableGetCollection, $_IEStatus_InvalidDataType

--> COM Error Encountered in capture_demo.au3

----> $IEComErrorScriptline = 81

----> $IEComErrorNumberHex = 000000A9

----> $IEComErrorNumber = 169

----> $IEComErrorWinDescription = Variable is not of type 'Object'.

----> $IEComErrorDescription =

----> $IEComErrorSource =

----> $IEComErrorHelpFile =

----> $IEComErrorHelpContext =

----> $IEComErrorLastDllError = 0

+>09:17:06 AutoIT3.exe ended.rc:0

This page is a little strange as viewing the HTML source says "<div id="content"></div>" so the content of the div is empty but debug bar shows the full source (the tables and buttons) wthin the div - give it a try, its weird.

I have not dealt with GWT in depth but I suspect that the HTML is generated then injected into the div at a late stage of the page rendering. This might explain why AutoIT has trouble seeing it.

I think I will have to learn more about how GTW works before I proceed.

Thanks

Thanks heaps for your help PsaltyDS. You are correct, it is not in a Frame, just a div tag. Here is the output to your code

CODE
--> IE.au3 V2.4-0 Warning from function _IETableGetCollection, $_IEStatus_NoMatch

--> COM Error Encountered in capture_demo.au3

----> $IEComErrorScriptline = 81

----> $IEComErrorNumberHex = 000000A9

----> $IEComErrorNumber = 169

----> $IEComErrorWinDescription = Variable is not of type 'Object'.

----> $IEComErrorDescription =

----> $IEComErrorSource =

----> $IEComErrorHelpFile =

----> $IEComErrorHelpContext =

----> $IEComErrorLastDllError = 0

+>09:17:06 AutoIT3.exe ended.rc:0

This page is a little strange as viewing the HTML source says "<div id="content"></div>" so the content of the div is empty but debug bar shows the full source (the tables and buttons) wthin the div - give it a try, its weird.

I have not dealt with GWT in depth but I suspect that the HTML is generated then injected into the div at a late stage of the page rendering. This might explain why AutoIT has trouble seeing it.

I think I will have to learn more about how GTW works before I proceed.

Thanks

I am not a webdev guy, but I believe what you are seeing with the empty div is the server-side source, which a script fills in with additional elements during client-side processing (at your local browser). DebugBar is showing the final results after client-side scripts have populated the div with tables 'n stuff. The problem is that it didn't fail until the table reference. It got $oDiv without error, then failed to get the first table under that. Given the output from DebugBar, I don't know why.

This is getting over my head. Maybe we can rub the lamp and invoke the Dale-Djin...

Edited by PsaltyDS

DebugBar allow you to easily see the original page source and the page source after client-side processing. In the DebugBar toolbar is what looks like a document with a blue <>_ over the top of it. This brings up a source viewer with tabs for both original and interpretted source.

In this case you'll see <div id="content"></div> in the original source tab and the same loaded with content on the interpretted tab.

If your goal is simply to click on this button...

#include <IE.au3>
$oIE = _IECreate("http://www.gawkat.com/ClicklistenerTest/")
_IELoadWait($oIE, 2000) ; 2sec delay and wait - give client-side processing a chance to start and complete
$oButtons = _IETagnameGetCollection($oIE, "button")
For $oButton in $oButtons
    If _IEPropertyGet($oButton, "innertext") = "Change Color" Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
Next

Dale

Update: Added delayed _IELoadWait

Edited by DaleHohm

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Here is an improved example (getting rid of the arbitrary 2 second wait in the last one). It watches the Div and waits for content to be added to it before it continues:

#include <IE.au3>
$oIE = _IECreate("http://www.gawkat.com/ClicklistenerTest/")
$oDiv = _IETagnameGetCollection($oIE, "div", 0)
While _IEPropertyGet($oDiv, "innerhtml") = ""
    Sleep(100)
WEnd
_IELoadWait($oDiv)
$oButtons = _IETagnameGetCollection($oIE, "button")
For $oButton in $oButtons
    If _IEPropertyGet($oButton, "innertext") = "Change Color" Then
        For $i = 0 to 9
            Sleep(500)
        Next
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
Next

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Thanks heaps for that Dale - works a treat! Yes just clicking a button is quite trivial, this was a proof of concept to see if it could be done. My company is working a lot with GWT and devs didn't think AutoIt would work with GWT. This proves that it does, with some understanding.

Thanks to for the View Source tip too, really helpful!

Thanks again PsaltyDS for your patience!