AoRaToS

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger version 2.9.5.8

1. Fixed a Messagebox bug when trying to update, pressing either Yes or No will do nothing, it should be Ok and Cancel. (2.9.5.7 Users: You will not be able to update that way so please read the instructions below the change log)

2. Made changes to Adlib and Inet functions to work with BETA. (s!mpL3 LAN Messenger and s!mpL3 Updater are now compiled using the latest beta)

3. Fixed a bug that BoonPek found in the Auto-refresh option in the Settings window. read here

2.9.5.7 Users: To update please enable the "Check for updates on startup" option in the Settings and restart the application, that will work and you'll have updated to the latest version.

[Edit]: If you're downloading from here, the attachment is not below the post anymore, it's next to the version announcement!

Edited by AoRaToS

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger

Current version 2.9.9.1 [04/07/2019]

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger.zip

s!mpL3

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger version 2.9.5.9

1. Fixed Settings window position. (Thanks again BoonPek, read here)

(That was because of "GUICreate() with $WS_EX_MDICHILD has been fixed to be relative to client area as documented." in the latest BETA, to read more go here)

2.9.5.7 Users: To update please enable the "Check for updates on startup" option in the Settings and restart the application, that will work and you'll have updated to the latest version.

If you're downloading from here, the attachment is not below the post anymore, it's next to the version announcement!

Also note that the .zip attachment now also includes the change log and the license agreement.

Edited by AoRaToS

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger.zip

s!mpL3

• 1 month later...

I'm using Windows 7, there might be some restrictions in Windows 7, even when i'm admin, I cant add files directly to the C drive.

Also, would it be better if you add "User is writing a message..." at the bottom?

I haven't really tested Windows 7 and I can't test at the moment cause I only get close to a computer once in a while and it's not my own...Further development of s!mpL3 LAN Messenger is paused for now...

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger.zip

s!mpL3

• 1 month later...

Hey, been quite a while since someone posted here. I have interest in this LAN messenger. Hmmm. Could you possibly teach me how to make one myself? I am a total newbie to this autoit thing, but i am OK with C and Java tho, so i know some programming background.

What I'd like to do is make a LAN only messenger like this, but with added features like voice chat, conference, and voice conference, if possible.

Any hints or pointers to the right direction would be much appreciated. :D

Hey, been quite a while since someone posted here. I have interest in this LAN messenger. Hmmm. Could you possibly teach me how to make one myself? I am a total newbie to this autoit thing, but i am OK with C and Java tho, so i know some programming background.

What I'd like to do is make a LAN only messenger like this, but with added features like voice chat, conference, and voice conference, if possible.

Any hints or pointers to the right direction would be much appreciated. :mellow:

Making a LAN only messenger like my own isn't that hard, adding voice chat will require more things I haven't worked with so I can't help with...Making the messenger use TCP will be better, this messenger is UDP, I'd like to rewrite it so that is uses TCP so that it's more reliable and more features can be added..

If you need something specific I can help with let me know...

The way this messenger works is quite simple, I can explain if you like!

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger.zip

s!mpL3

Thanks for the speedy reply. Yeah, I plan to use TCP for packet transfers since this messenger is for LAN use anyways, lotsa bandwidth available.

Hmmm, can you explain how the programming logic of this LAN messenger works? Like, a simple pseudocode/program flow will do.

example:

psuedocode/program flow for finding the prime numbers from 1 to n

1.) ask user for input (n)

2.) loop to check all numbers from 1 to n. let x be the current number in check

3.) for every number from 1 to n (except 1), loop from 2 to (x/2)-1 and check if that number divides the current number in check (x)

4.) if any number from 2 to (x/2)-1 divides the number in check (x), it (x) is obviously not prime. continue with next number. display/store number if prime.

5.) terminate loop when all numbers have been checked.

If you could do that (or have spare time to do so, I would greatly appreciate it). I am thinking of using Java to make this but I think autoIt is easier to use because of the predefined functions and easy GUI maker.

But most importantly, I'd like to know how you initiate a chat session, how you package (or encapsulate) the data into packets (I presume you use udpsend function), how a current "logged in" user is able to detect other logged in users (i see you use the windows workgroup).

Voice conference I think could be implemented using a broadcast system to all users "logged in" ?

First of all the program listens for data on a specified port, the data is encrypted so all data received is first decrypted and then the program has to know what the data means, so I set some headers

Actually there are two servers running on different ports, one is for conversation data and one is for other types of messages. (sign in, sign out, change name)

When you sing on, the port is opened and you are listening, waiting o reply.

1) when someone signs in he broadcasts a message let's say: SIGNIN/Username/IP

all users listening (signed on) will add a user that has the specified username and IP AND REPLY to his IP with OK/Username/IP so that they are added to that users list.

2) when someone signs out: SIGNOUT/Username/IP

all users listening (signed on) will remove the user that has the specified username and IP

3) when you want to talk to someone you click his name, a window opens with his Username, now you write something and when you click send, a message is sent (via udpsend) again formatted like CONV/Myusername/MyIP/text

the data is sent to the ip of the user, he receives it, decrypts it, and knows my username and ip and the text i sent him so a windows is opened that shows the data

In this same way other things are set such as changing username.

The workgroup is just the name on the treeview,that can be changed to the IP address of the specified connection, if you check the screenshots you'll see what I mean by that...

There are a few other parts like detecting if a username is already in use that are a bit tricky but work in the same manner...

The concept is quite easy, after you set the standards (headers and stuff) you can go on adding more and more things that may or may not require a few small changes.

To explain further, you've tested my messenger, if i want to add the ability to play a specified sound to the other user like you can nudge him I can just add a sound to the package and a new message type

SOUND/MyUsername/MyIP/1

when he receives that his messenger will open the window (with my username and IP) and play sound1.wav or any other thing I choose to make the messenger do when that message is received..

I'd like to make this messenger TCP so that it'd be more reliable but it's good enough fr most uses and enviroments...

I hope this helps...

Edited by AoRaToS

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger.zip

s!mpL3

Thanks for the information! I will try to finish reading the entire AutoIt help file to gain more knowledge about the syntax and functions available to me. But does this program employ a client-server type of relationship like in yahoo messenger or MSN? Hmmm. I would need to research more on this, I have less than a month to make a simple LAN messenger like this for my networking class. Crap.

Thanks for all the info though. If you don't mind, I'll ask you a few more questions regarding your algorithm/script later as I read more autoit help. :mellow:

Thanks for your feedback!I won't release the source code yet but I will gladly help if you need anything with your script and I can give some parts of the code if requested...

Javascript_Freek I fixed the tooltip part, It's supossed to NOT show now so it will probably work fine for you now, I had that problem in the past on some computers and I thought I'd fixed it...I've changed the attached file to the corrected one, if anyone has any other problems let me know!

Also, I haven't tried this on Windows Vista so I don't know if it'll work... I've used it on Windows XP Professional SP2 and SP3...

Im trying to make a messenger and i dont really know have to make it read databse from a website

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger version 2.9.6.0

1. From now on when you start an update, the s!mpL3 Updater version in use will be compared to the one online, and download it if necessary, to make sure the latest is used for the update procedure.

2. s!mpL3 LAN Messenger is now compiled using AutoIt 3.3.4.0.

Don't forget to rate this topic...

Download Here

Edited by AoRaToS

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger.zip

s!mpL3

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger version 2.9.6.1

1. Fixed a bug I was looking for some time now that messed up the check boxes on the main GUI when you'd disconnect and reconnect a network adapter.

2. Added 2 registry entries for the updater to get some info about the location of the messenger.

Latest s!mpL3 Updater version is 1.3.0.6

Don't forget to rate this topic...

Edited by AoRaToS

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger.zip

s!mpL3

• 3 weeks later...

Hey man, I made a simple LAN chat program a few days ago when I was bored of homework. I just searched for "LAN Broadcast" to get some more help on the topic as I am just starting to learn more about this method and I found this, you have inspired me! This program looks so cool, I'm on a Linux OS at the moment but when I get to a Windows box I am going to try this out :mellow:. Thanks for all the obvious hard work you've put into this man!

Just one question, what is the best way to calculate the broadcasting address of a network? If my local IP is something like 192.168.1.64 will the broadcast address always be 192.168.1.255?

Thanks again for sharing this program :(