AoRaToS

Just one question, what is the best way to calculate the broadcasting address of a network? If my local IP is something like 192.168.1.64 will the broadcast address always be 192.168.1.255?

The broadcast adress is typically the highest possible network adress.

So it depends on the subnetmask, if your subnet is 255.0.0.0 then your broadcast adress is 192.168.1.255.

refer subnetting for further informations.

www.m3rry.de | nach müde kommt blöd

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger version 2.9.6.2

1. Added the shake limiter so now you can only shake once every 10 seconds, that deals with flooding problems. The corresponding bug has been marked as fixed:

Looking for a way to limit Shakes to 1 every 10 seconds for every chat, cause I had it setup but it worked for all conversations so if you sent a shake to someone you couldn't send to anyone else for 10 seconds.

2. You might notice a small speed improvement due to some tuning I did.

Don't forget to rate this topic...

Edited by AoRaToS

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger

Current version 2.9.9.1 [04/07/2019]

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger.zip

s!mpL3

• 2 weeks later...

The broadcast adress is typically the highest possible network adress.

...if your subnet is 255.0.0.0 then your broadcast adress is 192.168.1.255.

Not true; a subnet of 255.0.0.0 on a 192.x.x.x network would provide a bcast addy of 192.255.255.255

Check out this subnet calculator if you have further questions/issues: Online Subnet Calculator

Cheers.

Be nice to the newbies... we were all there once...[size="3"]Being right too soon is socially unacceptable. - R. Heinlein[/size]My Projects:OpenKiosk Browser

• 2 months later...

Hey,

I've been busy with other computer-related stuff so I didn't have time to check AutoIt. Everything works fine except when updating, it gives me some AutoIt Error in line 9114. This only happens when I download the updater, else it works fine.

Posted Image

Check the option "Check for updates on startup" and restart...

I was trying to point out that there is a potential bug in the program that might need to be addressed. Some people like me like to do things manually, the Check for Updates on Startup works but doing it manually doesn't.

It's a bug in that version only, I found it and fixed it in the next version, and it also works fine in the previous versions, you can either use an older version and manually update or use the "startup" way of updating!

Edited by AoRaToS

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger.zip

s!mpL3

• 1 month later...

Hay up AoRaToS, very nice piece of work ;) Iv done a little myself over the last year or so and reading through all your thread made me laugh as lots of the comments remind me of mistakes and similar problems iv had :blink:

Anyhow I did have just one question, is there a way to make it "start with windows" in hidden mode ? maybe a command line switch ?

If not i would be really really grateful if you could just stick that option in the settings there somewhere.

Other than that i can not fault your app at all, its just the job for quickly speaking to the kids without having to go to there rooms (which they would prob protest about me going into anyway, lol) or using MSN/WLM (whatever there calling it nowadays), EXCELLENT WORK :P

did you make your web site for your apps ? i did see it mentioned somewhere above.

Thx for the contribution to the AI community , nice one.

Cheers,

JackDinn.

Edited by JackDinn

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

JD's Auto Internet Speed Tester

JD's Clip Catch (With Screen Shot Helper)

Projects :- AutoIt - My projects

My software never has bugs. It just develops random features. :-D

Just to be a pain iv got a couple of other requests, I noticed that it dont show an incoming message if it's "Hidden" so would it be possible to have it so when its in "Hidden mode" that any incoming messages show up.

Also is there an audible notification when you receive a message ? i have not noticed one could you add that also please.

What im trying to do is have your app installed on all my kids comps but in hidden mode so they dont even notice it being there but if i need to communicate with them that i can just run your app on my pc and send them a message. So i need it to run "Hidden" but i also need it to show any messages that i send to them & preferably give them an audible notification as well.

Sorry to be a pain ;)

Thx again,

JackDinn.

Edited by JackDinn

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

I'll work on your requests JackDinn!

Thanks for the input, I'm glad you like it!

The "start hidden" can become an option or a switch, the sound notification is something I'm working on and the "showing messages when hidden" was something I had to work for so it didn't happen (because I added "hidden mode" later on, I had to hide messages also cause they would appear) so it's easy to prevent...

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger.zip

s!mpL3

Many thx AoRaToS. ;)

I would have said thx sooner but for some unknown reason some of my email notifications that im supposed to get when people post on a thread im participating on are just not getting through (or are not getting sent at all !) more than likely the latter as iv now not received a handful of notifications and iv even changed my email address to test whats going on, quite a pain when i dont get notified of posts on my own AI projects thread. odd ehh.

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

Current version 2.9.6.4! [18/08/2010]

1. Added the option to start in "hidden" mode (requested by JackDinn). When enabled, Checking for updates on startup is disabled and ignored.

2. Added the option to change the encryption password. To take advantage of this, the other computers that use s!mpL3 LAN Messenger should have the same password. There are 2 reasons why you would do this:

____1. To make it harder for someone to decrypt (if sniffed). (quite rare i believe)

____2. If you want to be visible only to specific people, let them know what password to use and change yours, then you'll only see them and they'll only see you!

3. When you click on "Path:" in the Logging section it should open the corresponding folder if it exists.

4. Removed the Clean Up features due to changes that are about to come in next versions.

I've actually added allot of functionality but it's not yet available cause I'm testing it and it has some bugs.

The ability to change the ports used is under construction.

Also to change some colors on the GUI.

There is also the thought of making two separate versions, a normal version with an installer and an uninstaller and one portable version, as it is now but without the registry entries (so that it stays s!mpL3).

I've created the Installer (improved the existing GUI) and an Uninstaller, but I'm still working on it...

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger.zip

s!mpL3

You're welcome JackDinn!

I've added one of the features you want and the rest I'll add soon...

I can make a test version and send it to you that has both features you want (sound and messages popping up when hidden), you can use that version on your kids computer(s)... I didn't add the features in this release cause sounds are still in an early stage and I was working on many other things... The other feature is really easy to have (I have to either make a few small changes or remove the code that prevents them from showing)...

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger.zip

s!mpL3

Nice one for working so quick(although i know its a labour of love (well is for me ;))).

Its now sooo close. i can now have my kids comps start it up in the background, which is great but if i run it on my comp to message them the message still does not get through ! they have to have it in "un-hidden" mode to be able to receive messages, and they ant gonna want to have it showing up on there comps on boot or they will prob moan or even just remove it.

Im sure you'll get around to it in your own time so dont take to much notice of me and my wants.

Thx for the update on what you have done so far, although i did get some odd happenings when doing the updates, mainly error windows, i court one of them :-

post-38939-12820874196791_thumb.jpg

The other was a really odd one it came up with an error and then proceeded to delete the old LAN Messenger.exe file leaving me with nothing.

All good stuff though.

P.S.

Just read your last post and yes please id love a beta of what im after if thats ok with you :)

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

Weird error, do you use the latest Updater?

The file is downloaded to the temp folder and then moved over the previous one, so the new version was there when the error appeared, If you'd open that folder you wouldn't be left with nothing... ;)

I'll check that out...

[EDIT] I fixed that error, I changed the uploaded LAN Messenger file, the version is the same...

Edited by AoRaToS

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger

s!mpL3 LAN Messenger.zip

s!mpL3