Tall Tales Online game (Pure AutoIt custom webserver, source provided)

james3mg

When I saw TheSaint's game posted at http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86774, I saw the potential for a great combination: a well thought-out, relatively simple game, and my desire to find a game to write into a web server. I contacted TheSaint for his blessing, and having received it, have worked on this for around 2 weeks, with some guidance from TheSaint throughout with regards to the game mechanics.

What is it?

Two part answer here :lmao:

- This script is a custom web server designed to run TallTalesOnline games. You're free to use it and run your own server, within the guidelines of the CC license listed.

- The game itself that the script runs is a story building game. First, the title of the story is given, and any number of themes provided to guide the story throughout. Then, users can go into that story and contribute a section of the story. (When a user "checks out" the story, no other users can add to the story until they finish their portion or their session times out [1 hour]). It's best if each contribution ends in the middle of a sentence, because the next user will only have the story themes and the last three words of the previous section to guide their writing of their own contribution. Think "MadLibs" on a bigger scale. Eventually, the user who started the story will add an ending and close it, at which point everyone (if it's a public story, otherwise only members) will be able to read the entire story and see who contributed what by mousing over a section.

Can I play?

Please do :think: It's free and available at http://tinyurl.com/talltalesonline or http://talltalesonline.no-ip.org. It's totally free and ad-free, just register from the front page to get an account (no e-mail or contact info is required).

Any limitations on what I can post?

On my server at the address above, yes. I'm asking you to keep unnecessary vulgarity out of it. I'll edit posts if it comes to that. That's just for my sake, and because I won't be controlling who is on the server, so I'd rather not be the vehicle for exposing kids to anything inappropriate. I'm not looking for a 'G' rating here, just not NC-17. I'll be more lenient in 'private' stories where you only invite people you know. Anything illegal or blatantly hateful is not permitted and will be removed.

Can I run my own server?

You're welcome to, within the Creative Commons license noted (grab the source code from the end of this post), but remember this is just a first draft, so I don't know what bugs I will be finding. If you're running your own server, you're doing it at your own risk; you're on your own with regards to security of the script and server and any future updates. But since I provide the source code, you can look it over and see I've done my best to keep it very locked down on whatever server it's running on, plus change any functions you wish to.

What future improvements are you planning?

In-game messaging between users(functionality added Apr 2 with version 1.1.0.0)

Groups for invitation purposes (possibly)

Story administrator (creator) options for editing posts within their stories.

Set a maximum length for a single contribution(functionality added Feb 8 with version 1.0.0.4)

Restricting how frequently someone can post in a single story.(functionality added Feb 9 with version 1.0.0.5)

I also need to build in the ability for a user to follow a link (for instance, right to a story), and be directed there even if they have to login first. Right now, if they get stopped by the login page, they'll always go to the "Main" page afterward, rather than to the link they originally requested.

Per-user RSS feeds (wouldn't be password protected) that would let you know when a change that affects that user occurred (such as a story being finished, new story being added, story being ready to take another post from that user (getting unlocked), etc, until I can get real e-mail support.Added 3/10/2009 with v1.0.0.11

After these "core" functions, I'd like to get some general "prompt" functions for when someone gets writer's block- if they're stuck, just request one or more of these "cards" and it will provide you with some ideas you can use as a prompt to expand on if you wish.

In the future, as my IP prowess increases, I'd love to incorporate e-mail notifications and e-mail only type stories (that is, after you sign up for one of these types of stories, you'd get a story beginning via your e-mail, and just have to reply to it with your contribution, sending it on to the next person. No logon necessary).

What's required?

To play on my server, just an internet browser. To run your own server, you'll need to either run the provided .exe or have at least AutoIt 3.3.0.0 (I use the @MSEC macro for the timestamps). And the files provided in the source code below. That's it- this server uses pure AutoIt with the SQLite functions included.

Any technical limitations/problems?

-Unconfirmed bug with FireFox 1.5 not being able to access the site. I can name the symptoms of why they can't use the site, but I don't know if it's a FF1.5 issue or some other issue (like plugins). So until other users report this issue so I can investigate further, this is listed as "unconfirmed".

Will you just give me the source code, already!!?

I told you I would, so here you go...the zipped source code and files. (updated 4-2-09...this is v1.1.0.0)

(source code includes compiled executable and necessary reference files in /files subdirectory, as well as optional KeepAlive script, which you'd probably have to edit for your own use...it's designed to restart the local computer service called "TallTales Online" when it detects that 127.0.0.1:8080 is unresponsive. Database will be created in @ScriptDir on first execution).

Note that if you want to run your own server, there are a few const's at the top of the script you may want to change. $ConsoleTrafficTrace will allow you to choose whether it outputs a copy of all in/out traffc to the console, $UserRSSfeeds will allow you to turn the RSS feeds on and off, and $URLbase sets the public URL for the server, for use primarily in the RSS feeds. You'll probably want to set at least $URLbase and recompile.

History information:

v1.0.0.0 - 2/5/2009 - Original version

v1.0.0.1 - 2/5/2009 - Fixed a bug that was keeping FireFox users from registering; "Register" button was changed to a link.

v1.0.0.2 - 2/5/2009 - Fixed a bug that caused the themes for a story to display incorrectly after a story's creator changed anything about the story

v1.0.0.3 - 2/6/2009 - Added a global administration options - first user on a new server is automatically set as an Administrator.

v1.0.0.4 - 2/8/2009 - Added a limit on the client side to how many words may be contributed to a story at a time; 45 words max may be entered in the contribution textarea control, counted by spaces, and double spaces are removed automatically.

v1.0.0.5 - 2/9/2009 - Added a limit on how frequently a single user may post in a story; they must wait for two other users to post before the story is 'unlocked' for them again

v1.0.0.6 - 2/12/2009 - Fixed a bug that was causing the username lists to be sorted by A-Z,a-z instead of A-z

v1.0.0.7 - 2/23/2009 - Fixed a bug on the contribution page where non-admin users were seeing "...data" instead of the last three words of the previous post

v1.0.0.8 - 3/4/2009 - Fixed bugs relating to completed stories - the last two contributors to the story were unable to read the story, just as they would have been unable to contribute again, if the story were still open

v1.0.0.9 - 3/5/2009 - Modified some layouts so that completed stories are listed visually separate from stories which are still open

v1.0.0.10 - 3/6/2009 - Bug fix; now finished stories stay finished for longer than an hour! :)

v1.0.0.11 - 3/10/2009 - Added RSS feeds for all users to get external notification of story updates. Added content to the login page to show new users what the game is all about and entice them to register. Added and modified some admin controls that will only affect you if you run your own server.

v1.0.0.12 - 3/17/2009 - Added admin controls for deleting/banning/promoting users, and reduced the file sizes of the graphics on the login page. Also bug fix in the RSS feed for admins.

v1.0.0.13 - 3/18/2009 - Added an announcements section of the login page. Also fixed a bug where the login page was displaying inconsistently if improper credentials were supplied, and modified the login page layout a little bit.

v1.0.0.14 - 3/31/2009 - HTML is now disabled (stripped) in all fields except the admin's announcement box. Thanks to whomever pointed out this flaw, though your methods leave something to be desired. Also, length requirements will be enforced (minimum and maximum) at the server side, so there's no way around it. (The requirements are between 5 and 45 words, and at least 15 characters, though I don't mention the character length requirement anywhere else). I've also fixed the bug that exposed the last active user via the RSS feed at the logon page- the RSS will not be available until you log in, at which point you only have access to your own feed.

v1.1.0.0 - 4/2/2009 - The major addition in this release is an in-game messaging system. Nothing fancy, but it works. This was a significant enough addition that I felt it warranted the distinction of being version 1.1. The RSS feed does notify you when you have an unread message waiting, so if you get RSS updates via e-mail like I do, you'll be notified. This will be more useful in the future once I reconfigure the login process so that you can "click through" to your desired destination (like a specific message), even if you have to login first (see intended additions above). I've also fixed a few minor things that didn't work quite the way I wanted (eg: banned users are now not included in "user" count, nor are they shown on the story invitation list).

Edited by james3mg
"There are 10 types of people in this world - those who can read binary, and those who can't.""We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." ~Robert Wilensky0101101 1001010 1100001 1101101 1100101 1110011 0110011 1001101 10001110000101 0000111 0001000 0001110 0001101 0010010 1010110 0100001 1101110

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm out of attachment space, or I'd just .zip everything up :) Sorry.

mediafire works

you could also get it to use fileexsists and filecreate to check and make files

Edited by corgano

0x616e2069646561206973206c696b652061206d616e20776974686f7574206120626f64792c20746f206669676874206f6e6520697320746f206e657665722077696e2e2e2e2e

mediafire works

Done, thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't too worried about it though, since the server's running...nobody really needs the script. I just wanted it to be "out there". Still, this is better.

you could also get it to use fileexsists and filecreate to check and make files

I don't want to have the script write the text files, because the whole point of having them external to the script is to allow easier "on-the-fly" changes to the pages they feed.

Edit: I've gotta say, I'm a little surprised by the lack of response here. After 24 hours, I figured that someone would have at least taken a look at the site- it should be a fun game, and there was reasonable response to TheSaint's original proposition of this type of game. It's not like an account requires you to sign away your firstborn- it just asks for a username and password! Still, I suppose one day isn't too long. Hopefully the site will get rockin' soon enough.

Either way though, hopefully this script is a good example of a fully functional (if single-minded) HTTP server.

"There are 10 types of people in this world - those who can read binary, and those who can't.""We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." ~Robert Wilensky0101101 1001010 1100001 1101101 1100101 1110011 0110011 1001101 10001110000101 0000111 0001000 0001110 0001101 0010010 1010110 0100001 1101110

@james3mg I've updated to Firefox 3, but I cannot Register at either link, it just keeps giving me a password error. I've tried several variations, but none seem to make a difference. Do you have any rules governing Username & Password, that might be stopping me. I even tried using the ones you gave me earlier to Login, but I get the same error.

Is anyone else having this same issue or had success?

@james3mg could you maybe post a screenshot or two, so I can at least see what I'm missing and to entice others?

Thanks again for doing this!

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

@james3mg I've updated to Firefox 3, but I cannot Register at either link, it just keeps giving me a password error. I've tried several variations, but none seem to make a difference. Do you have any rules governing Username & Password, that might be stopping me. I even tried using the ones you gave me earlier to Login, but I get the same error.

Is anyone else having this same issue or had success?

@james3mg could you maybe post a screenshot or two, so I can at least see what I'm missing and to entice others?

Thanks again for doing this!

I fired up my firefox again and verified that I could login, but when I went to test registration, I found the same error you were talking about. It seems that in FireFox, any button within a form acts as a "submit" button, even though I'd given the register button a different onclick action. So, I've changed it to a link instead of a button. Also, just FYI, I'd cleared the database you and I were using earlier when I launched the server officially, so the account info I'd given you earlier didn't exist anymore. I've recreated it, so you can try logging in as that user again, if registration doesn't work.

I haven't gotten any other reports of errors, so either people aren't telling me they had an error, or nobody's tried in FF.

Screenshots are a great idea- here you go!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

OK FINALLY!

I used the IETab option in Firefox 3, and was able to register, login and start the 'Aliens Are Watching Us' story. So I can confirm that much is working ok. So come on everybody, join in and have some fun ... you can truly remain anonymous if that worries you - just make up a username and password.

@james3mg, I'm wondering if the Firefox issue might be cache (or somesuch) related? It still remembers the testing username and password you gave me ... and even though I change or remove the values, it may still be using them maybe? I've come across this issue once before on Biblio Bookshops server, and had to use the IETab to get around it (it refused to update a shopping cart order I wanted to change in regard to the PayPal setting).

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

I fired up my firefox again and verified that I could login, but when I went to test registration, I found the same error you were talking about. It seems that in FireFox, any button within a form acts as a "submit" button, even though I'd given the register button a different onclick action. So, I've changed it to a link instead of a button. Also, just FYI, I'd cleared the database you and I were using earlier when I launched the server officially, so the account info I'd given you earlier didn't exist anymore. I've recreated it, so you can try logging in as that user again, if registration doesn't work.

I haven't gotten any other reports of errors, so either people aren't telling me they had an error, or nobody's tried in FF.

Screenshots are a great idea- here you go!

I got distracted and took too long with that last post, and you posted meanwhile.

Thanks for the screenshots, but I've seen it in action now anyway ... still, they are there for others to see now. I'll give Firefox another go, now that I've registered ... I may need to close it first, then start afresh.

Spoiler

userbar.png

OK FINALLY!

I used the IETab option in Firefox 3, and was able to register, login and start the 'Aliens Are Watching Us' story. So I can confirm that much is working ok. So come on everybody, join in and have some fun ... you can truly remain anonymous if that worries you - just make up a username and password.

@james3mg, I'm wondering if the Firefox issue might be cache (or somesuch) related? It still remembers the testing username and password you gave me ... and even though I change or remove the values, it may still be using them maybe? I've come across this issue once before on Biblio Bookshops server, and had to use the IETab to get around it (it refused to update a shopping cart order I wanted to change in regard to the PayPal setting).

I don't know. The server is sending all the HTML pages with explicit instructions to the browser that they are not to be cached...the only thing "saved" is your login if you leave "remember my username" checked, and that's done with a cookie, directly from the server. If you uncheck that box and login then log out, both boxes should be blank. Try that, and let me know if it doesn't respond as expected.

@everyone else: A word to the anonymity TheSaint mentioned, I verify that. I'm not logging IP addresses or anything, and you can change your username/password at any time and leave no record of the old data (though your old posts will still point to your new username). The only thing is that I'm not using SSL or encryption, so the user/pass combo is transmitted in plaintext. So, I guess, just use something throwaway in case someone's sniffing your packets.

Well that's strange, I can now login with Firefox ... no problemo!

Didn't have to close and restart the browser either.

Spoiler

userbar.png

Well that's strange, I can now login with Firefox ... no problemo!

Didn't have to close and restart the browser either.

I'm glad it's working. I don't know why your old 1.5 wasn't working, but maybe it was related to the button I changed this morning too.

Everyone, let me know if you see any other issues. By the way, the story about "What I broke in AutoIt" I created may be more appropriate than I intended...I notice the themes aren't laying out like they should in that one story. I'll have to see if I goofed up the entry in the database when I created the story. For now, just ignore that error and make sure it doesn't show up in any other stories until I isolate what happened.

Update: I fixed the bug that was causing the themes for one of the stories to show improperly and act oddly (the AutoIt story I referenced above); seems I'd mentally reversed the return value from a Select control with the return from a Textarea, but just in the section that allows story creators to edit the stories. The latest version is running, and if I don't find/get reports of any more bugs, I'll update the source code in a day or so. Just FYI, the running server is v1.0.0.2 in the source.

Thanks to the people who are helping me test this out- looks like a success so far! If we can get another few days' worth of quality contributions to the "Aliens are Watching" story, it'll probably be ready to close and post the results so everyone can see what they're working toward. Besides, the server will be more interesting if there's some completed stories available for the members to read, instead of just a bunch of stories awaiting contributions :)

Edit: there's no reason that AutoIt'ers should be the only ones doing this- if you know someone who might be interested, give 'em the address! However, AutoIt'ers would probably be the only ones interested in the source code :)

Edit2: I know I tend to have too much faith in people, however, I can't believe how quickly stupid posts started showing up (stupid here meaning posts from 1-5 words, 80-100% of which were swearing. C'mon people, that can't add anything worthwhile to any story. It just can't.

Edited by james3mg

I've updated the server to v1.0.0.3, and have released the source code for the same in the OP. The only change from 1.0.0.2 was a better interface for some of the administration options. You won't see these unless you use the source code to run your own server, then you'll see a fourth "Admin" tab at the top of the pages.

I've had no further problems with out-of-line posts- thanks!

If this proves stable through the weekend, I'll proceed with implementing post frequency and length limitations/requirements.

Have a great weekend everyone! I'll check back frequently in case somebody finds and posts a bug.

Edit: for the sake of keeping the thread a little cleaner, I've combined a few of my update notification posts below:

2/8/2009:

v1.0.0.4 is live on the server now- the only change is that a 45-word limit is imposed now, and a counter has been added to the contribution page to help you keep track of how many words you have left. Note this limit isn't enforced at the server side; someone could connect and send their own TCP packets that would result in a post longer than 45 words being added, but I think if they care that much, let 'em do it. It's still easy for the Admin to delete the post if they want.

The source code will be updated when I launch the next version, which will add the feature of not allowing a user to post two times in a row in the same story. This limit WILL be enforced at the server level.

2/9/2009:

Tall Tales Online v1.0.0.5 is live on the server, and the source code for it has been linked to in the OP.

There is now a global restriction that a user may only post in a story again after two other users have already posted. I decided it was too confusing to have that be a per-story configurable setting. This rule is effective immediately on the server for all stories.

Everything else seems to be running fine, so I'll start working next on adding some post editing options for a story's creator and the server admin(s). (Currently only the server admin has any editing options, and they're limited to only being able to delete an entire post completely). I'll probably be using AJAX for the first time on this server to make the interface as streamlined as possible, so it may be a little more difficult (read: longer before an update is released) than the previous updates.

2/12/2009:

I've put up a new update, v1.0.0.6, with only a minor tweak that was nevertheless bugging me. I couldn't figure out why the username lists appeared to not be sorted, then finally enough people signed up that I saw the pattern. Usernames with capitals were alphabetically sorted above all usernames that began with a lowercase letter. So, I fixed that.

I'm making some headway with the post editing interface, but parts of it are still making me go :) I'll put it up here when I get it nailed down.

Keep contributing, everyone! None of the stories are really worth closing yet...we need some more good 'chapters' added!

2/23/2009:

v1.0.0.7 is running now, just a minor bug fix that was causing a major headache with users...upon beginning to edit a story, the user saw ...data instead of the last three words of the story. What this means is that the $iRows from the database read was holding a 0, instead of a 1...but only for basic users, not for site admins! I can't figure that out, but I just changed the $iRows pointer to a static 1 and the problem is fixed.

Edited by james3mg

• 4 weeks later...

The first story has been finished! "What I wrecked this weekend in AutoIt" is now available for all members to read. I hope this gives a taste of what this game is about and generates more interest.

When I finished this story, I found a few bugs relating to the server's treating of completed stories, so I've also updated the server to v1.0.0.8 to fix them. In poking around now that there's a finished story, I've found a few places where that story needs to be separated out from the others (for instance, the "All Stories" page needs to separate out stories in progress from those which are completed), so expect 1.0.0.9 to be another minor update to make the interface a little nicer to completed stories. I'll also update the source here once I finish it. I'm still working on the big administrative utilities, so if you're looking to run your own server, take heart that I haven't forgotten.

Edited by james3mg

The first story has been finished! "What I wrecked this weekend in AutoIt" is now available for all members to read. I hope this gives a taste of what this game is about and generates more interest.

When I finished this story, I found a few bugs relating to the server's treating of completed stories, so I've also updated the server to v1.0.0.8 to fix them. In poking around now that there's a finished story, I've found a few places where that story needs to be separated out from the others (for instance, the "All Stories" page needs to separate out stories in progress from those which are completed), so expect 1.0.0.9 to be another minor update to make the interface a little nicer to completed stories. I'll also update the source here once I finish it. I'm still working on the big administrative utilities, so if you're looking to run your own server, take heart that I haven't forgotten.

When I was younger I used to like a usercreated textbased choicecentered variant...

You just wrote a whole passage and gave alternatives, and the next user would read through, choose one alternative, write HIS text and give alternatives, and so on... All is open. When THIS is finished(Doesn't really need to be finished...), you get an interactive story whith multiple endings, and massive re-playability! GREAT fun! :P

I participated in many such creations... GREAT fun!

/Manko

Yes i rush things! (I sorta do small bursts inbetween doing nothing.) Things I have rushed and reRushed:* ProDLLer - Process manager - Unload viri modules (dll) and moore...* _WinAPI_ProcessListOWNER_WTS() - Get Processes owner list...* _WinAPI_GetCommandLineFromPID() - Get commandline of target process...* _WinAPI_ThreadsnProcesses() Much info if expanded - optional Indented "Parent/Child"-style Processlist. Moore to come... eventually...

When I was younger I used to like a usercreated textbased choicecentered variant...

You just wrote a whole passage and gave alternatives, and the next user would read through, choose one alternative, write HIS text and give alternatives, and so on... All is open. When THIS is finished(Doesn't really need to be finished...), you get an interactive story whith multiple endings, and massive re-playability! GREAT fun! :P

I participated in many such creations... GREAT fun!

/Manko

Sounds like that could be fun, and I remember coming across something like that on the web somewhere, many months (year?) ago. It was a dedicated story site, that you could add to in various ways if you were a member. Each person finished their portions and left alternative choices to continue the story. It was fairly serious stuff (albeit containing humorous elements), that if I remember rightly, was judged by a panel, etc before being accepted. I cannot remember the name of the site at the moment, but I may go back through my records ... I think it was related to story games you can use on an Ipod.

Now I must login and check out the first finished story as mentioned above.

Spoiler

userbar.png

OK, 1.0.0.9 is running now, with the promised spit-n-polish on several pages relating to finished stories. Also, check the OP for an updated source code link.

OK, 1.0.0.9 is running now, with the promised spit-n-polish on several pages relating to finished stories. Also, check the OP for an updated source code link.

@james3mg - thanks for all this. Not a bad finished first story, if a bit short. Don't know that I agree with being able to see who wrote what though ... or is that feature only available to me? Maybe you could post the story here, as an example? The 'Aliens' story there, seems to be coming along quite nicely too ... if slowly.

Spoiler

userbar.png

@james3mg - thanks for all this. Not a bad finished first story, if a bit short. Don't know that I agree with being able to see who wrote what though ... or is that feature only available to me? Maybe you could post the story here, as an example? The 'Aliens' story there, seems to be coming along quite nicely too ... if slowly.

No, that feature is available to everyone. I'm willing to listen to reason, if people don't want that available, but I thought it would be fun to be able to see...it's a community site, at its' heart, even if there's not much "connection" possible yet :P

Here's the first finished story, but remember, everyone; there are three other stories still available to post in, as well as anyone being able to start their own story! :unsure:

What I wrecked last weekend with AutoIt

What a weekend I had last weekend! I sat down to do some basic coding, or a little mayhem with Firefox that would lead to the destruction of IE. I find that the best standards to put into practice are always the most annoying ones of all, just because they they ran out of pies. when we got back to the lab we started decompileing the code and tryed to make a antivirus to keep the pie shipments from being diverted from false gps infromation. morale was low and we needed the next shipment to make it through. our stores were almost empty and as we pulled out the last pie in the proverbial oven. If one could believe whole-heartedly in the Valik Laws, then presumably they would prevent the predicted destruction and ensuing mayhem that could eventually lead to the eternal fires of damnation cited by the mighty seer Valuater who was good friends with him. Next day I ran to the store, only to find they were selling the very thing I'd been trying to make in the first place- and for only pennies! Oh well.

v1.0.0.10 is live on the server- I couldn't figure out why the AutoIt story kept getting set back to "Open" and wouldn't stay "Finished". Turns out that, in the routine that logs off inactive users after an hour and re-opens any story they may have "checked out" without finishing, I forgot to tell it not to re-open stories that had been marked as "Finished" rather than just "Locked". :P So that's been fixed, and to anyone who'd logged on yesterday to read the story and found it "open" rather than "finished" (and therefore unable to be read), please try again :unsure: