Version upgrade blues.

cal

Rant on.... Arrrrggg.... broken scripts..... ok rant off.

I'm sure there are good reasons and I have no issues with that. Carry on. I appreciate the hard work that goes into the development of Autoit.

OK. Small question about changes I've seen recently.

For a couple years I've given myself the ability to simulate multi-thread functions by spinning off copies of the script called with parameters that then run only subsections of the main script. I've seen others do this using other methods. But I came up with this way myself before knowing it was something that was even a question. It just seemed natural to me so I've stuck with it.

Normally I do this split before declaring things like the "includes" and Opt lines. Then I started to get weird errors in the last couple versions. I used to put includes in both parts but have since found that if an "include" needs to be in both then I just need to put it in the script before I do the split. This of course is simple to do but I must admit it took forever to figure out what had changed.

So I guess my question is. Has the way "includes" work changed in the last version or two? I'm not sure why this works. Are "includes" not processed when the script gets to them. The parts of the script may be in the same body but they they function independently and run as two or more separate processes. I'm guessing that the entire script is scanned now and all "includes" are processed somehow. Did this make any sense? :)

I'm sure there are good reasons and I have no issues with that. Carry on. I appreciate the hard work that goes into the development of Autoit.

For a couple years I've given myself the ability to simulate multi-thread functions by spinning off copies of the script called with parameters that then run only subsections of the main script. I've seen others do this using other methods. But I came up with this way myself before knowing it was something that was even a question. It just seemed natural to me so I've stuck with it.

Normally I do this split before declaring things like the "includes" and Opt lines. Then I started to get weird errors in the last couple versions. I used to put includes in both parts but have since found that if an "include" needs to be in both then I just need to put it in the script before I do the split. This of course is simple to do but I must admit it took forever to figure out what had changed.

So I guess my question is. Has the way "includes" work changed in the last version or two? I'm not sure why this works. Are "includes" not processed when the script gets to them. The parts of the script may be in the same body but they they function independently and run as two or more separate processes. I'm guessing that the entire script is scanned now and all "includes" are processed somehow. Did this make any sense? :)

The method of parsing code from #include files has not changed, but the content of #include files themselves changed. They have been made more focused on specific functions, so they are smaller and more numerous. For example, GuiConstants.au3 used to contain additional #include statements of its own that eventually lead to inclusion of constants for almost every conceivable control type. Now you would only use GuiConstantsEx.au3 for the basics and then add things like ButtonConstants.au3 only if you are using button styles, etc.

Moving PaulIA's AU3Library functions into included UDFs involved renaming many functions and the UDFs so they would be consistent with existing AutoIt naming standards. So A3LToolbar.au3 is now GuiToolBar.au3, and _Toolbar_AddButton() is now _GUICtrlToolbar_AddButton() in the help file.

If that's not enough info on the changes, you'll have to be more specific on what "broke" when you updated to AutoIt 3.3.0.0.

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

If that's not enough info on the changes, you'll have to be more specific on what "broke" when you updated to AutoIt 3.3.0.0.

Thanks.

No. Nothing specific needed at the moment. I've fixed most things. I'm sure I'll be able to fix the rest when I get to those ones.

My guess is that you are wrong, or that what you report is not actually the case. (Or I misunderstand what you said.) Includes are always included before the script is run, so having to add them twice doesn't make sense to me at least.
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

My guess is that you are wrong, or that what you report is not actually the case. (Or I misunderstand what you said.) Includes are always included before the script is run, so having to add them twice doesn't make sense to me at least.

It can happen with a poorly managed UDF. I had one for some standardized functions of my own, including one that creates a log file according to several conditions, and writes the first lines of info. Because I didn't know any better, the Global $LogFile was declared by the script vice the UDF file, so the #include statement had to come AFTER my global declarations or it would get numerous errors. The easy fix was to do the required declarations in the UDF and then #include it at the top, but I had to figure that out over time.

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law