Scan for System Properties?

Is there anyway to get your system property ID.

If you do not know what I mean its the LONG number after you right click on 'My Computer' then select Properties... (Its a huge number with '-' in it etc)

Other than making a noob macro that does all that and copies and pastes the number somewhere, can you get the number somehow through some sort of scan? :S

Thanks

Edited by UnknownWarrior

Is there anyway to get your system property ID.

If you do not know what I mean its the LONG number after you right click on 'My Computer' then select Properties... (Its a huge number with '-' in it etc)

Other than making a noob macro that does all that and copies and pastes the number somewhere, can you get the number somehow through some sort of scan? :S

Thanks

Do a search of your registry for the number you're getting there...

I found mine listed in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\Key-<seemingly random string>\ProductID

There were two keys on my system that fit that format, on my main computer they both had the string that appeared in my My Computer properties, on my second computer I had 3 strings that fit that format, and only one of them had it so...

I guess I'd travel down this road to look into it further...

Hopefully that gives you something to work with... Good Luck!

Edited by exodius

Do a search of your registry for the number you're getting there...

I found mine listed in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\Key-<seemingly random string>\ProductID

There were two keys on my system that fit that format, on my main computer they both had the string that appeared in my My Computer properties, on my second computer I had 3 strings that fit that format, and only one of them had it so...

I guess I'd travel down this road to look into it further...

Hopefully that gives you something to work with... Good Luck!

Well what exactly do I use to actually SEARCH for that... And that 'thing', is that the address at which the key is located at?

Not too sure on how to actually search for the key...

What I want it to do is search for that key, write it down in a notepad file, and save the notepad file. The notepad stuff I can do (of course), but the reading and the writing of that 'key', I don't really know where to start.

Well what exactly do I use to actually SEARCH for that... And that 'thing', is that the address at which the key is located at?

Not too sure on how to actually search for the key...

What I want it to do is search for that key, write it down in a notepad file, and save the notepad file. The notepad stuff I can do (of course), but the reading and the writing of that 'key', I don't really know where to start.

Look @ RegEnumKey, RegEnumVal, and RegRead in the Help File, between those three functions and the registry path I gave you, you should be able to find what you seek.

Could I use RegRead instead? And do it like this?

*Edited the helpfile example*

$var = RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA", "")
MsgBox(4096, "Your key i", $var)

A few things though I'm not sure I'm doing right... Is this the entire path of where the key is?

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA" ?

And what goes in the 'value name' field... I just put a blank string cause I didn't really know....?

Also will this GIVE me the actual key, because the definition of RegRead is: " Reads a value from the registry. "

Edited by UnknownWarrior

Could you explain what that does? :)

(All that coding is too advanced for me :))

I know what it does, but can you explain what this and that is for?

And if you guys are curious, I'm making this to add to a program of mine so it cannot be given to anyone else without my permission. I'm going to put the code at the beginning of my program that checks the users ID for their computer, and if it matches the ID that I have written in the program that I gave to them, it will go, otherwise the program will terminate.

Could you explain what that does? :)

(All that coding is too advanced for me :))

I know what it does, but can you explain what this and that is for?

And if you guys are curious, I'm making this to add to a program of mine so it cannot be given to anyone else without my permission. I'm going to put the code at the beginning of my program that checks the users ID for their computer, and if it matches the ID that I have written in the program that I gave to them, it will go, otherwise the program will terminate.

That code uses COM objects (basically what vbscript is) to "ask" the operating system what that info is... If you're curious about COM, Wikipedia talks about it here...

That code uses COM objects (basically what vbscript is) to "ask" the operating system what that info is... If you're curious about COM, Wikipedia talks about it here...

I just don't exactly understand WHAT the code is doing... like for example:

What do these line really mean? :S

Dim $oWMI = ObjGet('winmgmts:')
Dim $oSerialNumber = $oWMI.ExecQuery('Select SerialNumber from Win32_OperatingSystem')