getting remote system name

bornem

I call the script from different servers, I "know" the info but do not want to hardcode ip, or hostname into the program. What I'm hoping for is a way to grab the hostname or even ip address of the system the autoit script is running from.

You have a couple of options.

First you could use a UDP broadcast, but I have never written one myself. Basically there is a way to send a packet to all computers attached to a network switch. Your program would listen for this packet and reply with its IP address when it hears it.

Second, your program could take a command line parameter or read an INI file to get the Hostname/IP. This would allow you to change it without recompiling your script.

Third, you could scan the network for a system running your script. Just start at xxx.xxx.xxx.1 and start moving up to xxx.xxx.xxx.255 until you find the correct one.

Hope this helps.

@weaponx

But that will just give the local computer's name and ip.. he wants it for a remote pc..

Edited by Manjish
[font="Garamond"]Manjish Naik[/font]Engineer, Global Services - QPSHoneywell Automation India LimitedE-mail - Manjish.Naik@honeywell.com

@weaponx

But that will just give the local computer's name and ip.. he wants it for a remote pc..

This is what he said:

What I'm hoping for is a way to grab the hostname or even ip address of the system the autoit script is running from.