Sending function parameters from GUI controls...

Ok, i'm probably just not doing this quite right, but i'm having trouble sending parameters to functions when i call them by, say, clicking on a button in my GUI.

$Input4 = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 72, 80, 289, 21)
GUICtrlSetOnEvent(-1, "Input4Change")

i have had to make 5 functions called Input1Change() etc, instead of being able to use InputChange(1) or similar.

Where am i going wrong...? This works fine atm, but it takes up more space, give me more to change, and makes giving expandable inputs impossibley hard...

thanks

rkr

• Moderators

rabbitkillrun,

I think "stupid" is a bit strong - "slightly annoying" would be a better description.

Anyway, 2 solutions:

1. Rewrite for GUIGetMsg mode.

2. Look at martin's UDF here.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

really...? that is stupid!!! :)

thanks, i'll take a look now...

You could use parameters with the onevent udf in my signature, but the first question is why you need parameters. Maybe you can change your script so that you don't need them. The most likely time you would want parameters I guess is when more than one event can call the same function and in this case you can decide what to do using the macro Function GUICtrlSetOnEvent@GUI_CTRLID. This can get a bit messy and then I think my udf can make the script a lot simpler.
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

rabbitkillrun,

I think "stupid" is a bit strong - "slightly annoying" would be a better description.

Anyway, 2 solutions:

1. Rewrite for GUIGetMsg mode.

2. Look at martin's UDF here.

M23

fine then... very annoying and... *insert a less harsh word for stupid*...

how would the getmessage mode work differently...? i haven't used it for a long time...

You could use parameters with the onevent udf in my signature, but the first question is why you need parameters. Maybe you can change your script so that you don't need them. The most likely time you would want parameters I guess is when more than one event can call the same function and in this case you can decide what to do using the macro Function GUICtrlSetOnEvent@GUI_CTRLID. This can get a bit messy and then I think my udf can make the script a lot simpler. </div>

i'll take a look, thanks...

and was trying to use parameters as it's easier to simply type a number in at the top than write a whole case thing or have several similar functions...

• Moderators

rabbitkillrun,

Let us agree on "pretty annoying" - a nice piece of English understatement!

GUIGetMsg mode is described fully in the Help file under "GUI Reference - GUIMessageLoop Mode". Basically you store the ControlIDs of the controls you create and then set up a While...WEnd loop during which you poll the GUI for an "event". An "event" usually returns a ControlID, so you can use Select or Switch to determine which control was activated and so which function to run - with parameters if you wish.

There are, as always, pros and cons to both this and the OnEvent styles of coding. Personally I prefer MessageLoop for my GUIs and OnEvent for any traymenus I have, but I am not firmly wedded to this. Try playing with both and see which you prefer.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area