Drop-in file path

jflux

I just got introduced to this AutoIt scripting and know it will help a bunch of my administrative tasks! I'm making a little project for the spare time I have to create a simple Unzip and Move to destination utility. The idea will be as follows:

- User drags and drops the zip file and destination folder into a window (be it two textboxes that collect pathfile names). Destination folder must be available before it begins (device that has that folder must be connected via USB).

- Autoit program sends extraction to the destination folder via Winzip or typical MS compression folder (or even a new compression utility you like to introduce to me.)

I'm most interested if you can refer me to the functions to look for in the *hefty* help files already supplied to us. I believe I'm looking such functions as these:

- the drag and dropping stuff

- how to collect user's input

- how to wait for availability of folder

- how to operate the utility to extract to destination folder via GUI or command line.

Just very curious about the power of this scripting thang~ :P

• Moderators

jflux,

First, welcome to the AutoIt forums.

When you post here it always helps if you have had a go at solving your problems beforehand. Having some code to work on is a great help - and no-one here is too keen to help the "code it for me" brigade.

Reading the Help file (at least the first few sections - Using AutoIt, Tutorials and the first couple of References) will help you enormously.

You should also look at the excellent tutorials that you will find here and here.

Using the Search facility is also a good tip as there is a pretty good chance your question has been asked before. Look for the "Search" button to the right in the title bar.

---

However, you have already thought a lot about what you want to do and have asked some direct questions - so here goes:

- the drag and dropping stuff - you need to enable your GUI and the controls involved. This means using $WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES and $GUI_DROPACCEPTED styles when you create the GUI and the controls.

- how to collect user's input - Try GUICtrlCreateInput and InputBox to begin with.

- how to wait for availability of folder - not altogether sure what you mean here. FileExists will make sure a folder exists - WinWait or ProcessWait will wait until a program runs.

- how to operate the utility to extract to destination folder via GUI or command line - look at Run and RunWait.

Try that to get on with and come back with your code if (when?!?!) you have problems.

Good luck.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

• Moderators

jflux,

I did! And you know where we are if you need us....

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Wow!... :unsure: I'm extremely impressed how easily I found how to uncompress and direct all the files to the desired folder. Basically, I'm gonna now start tackling the user's input. Meanwhile, new question: is there a way to access a WinMo device via ActiveSync... or is this out of AutoIt's arena? I'm just wanting to send the local files out to the device's root directory.

Once again, please just direct me to a good source. thx! :P