Trying to get autoit script to run in group policy

Hey all,

I'm trying to make a script to wrap around winaudit (www.pxserver.com/WinAudit.htm) and the MyODBC 3.51 driver to audit a computer and dump the data directly to a database.

Now I'm trying to deploy this across an organisation via Group Policy.

I've got the script running fine on it's own, but if I try running it via Group Policy, it just doesn't run at all.

I've setup a GPO associated with a computer (the test box I'm using). I've setup a batch file to run the audit.exe (autoit compiled script) with the command line arguments that it needs.

The issue is that it doesn't run at all when using Group Policy, no windows come up, no data appears in the DB server nothing.

Any ideas on where I may be going wrong? or anymore info I should supply to help out with the troubleshooting?

Thanks

Pinkbits

Hey all,

I'm trying to make a script to wrap around winaudit (www.pxserver.com/WinAudit.htm) and the MyODBC 3.51 driver to audit a computer and dump the data directly to a database.

Now I'm trying to deploy this across an organisation via Group Policy.

I've got the script running fine on it's own, but if I try running it via Group Policy, it just doesn't run at all.

I've setup a GPO associated with a computer (the test box I'm using). I've setup a batch file to run the audit.exe (autoit compiled script) with the command line arguments that it needs.

The issue is that it doesn't run at all when using Group Policy, no windows come up, no data appears in the DB server nothing.

Any ideas on where I may be going wrong? or anymore info I should supply to help out with the troubleshooting?

Thanks

Pinkbits

How are you deploying it via GPO? Software install? Run at Startup (Computer)? Run at Logon (User?)

You may need to apply "Domain Computers" properties. Check the event logs of workstations for more info.

How are you deploying it via GPO? Software install? Run at Startup (Computer)? Run at Logon (User?)

You may need to apply "Domain Computers" properties. Check the event logs of workstations for more info.

I managed to get it running, had to apply it to an OU of users to get it to run at startup. Applying it to an OU with the test machine in it didn't work for some reason.

Any tips on getting it to run before logon? I'm trying to get it to install the MySQL ODBC driver, but a normal user needs local admin privilieges. If it's before login, it's the SYSTEM account, so it won't have an issue.

Thanks,

Pinkbits

I managed to get it running, had to apply it to an OU of users to get it to run at startup. Applying it to an OU with the test machine in it didn't work for some reason.

Any tips on getting it to run before logon? I'm trying to get it to install the MySQL ODBC driver, but a normal user needs local admin privilieges. If it's before login, it's the SYSTEM account, so it won't have an issue.

Thanks,

Pinkbits

Make sure the share AND NTFS permissions allow "Domain Computers" read (and write if necessary) access to the script

To run it at startup, put it in the

Computer Configuration - Windows Settings - Scripts (Startup/Shutdown) - Startup

section of the GPO you're using. This will run after the workstation has updated group policy to tell itself it needs to initialise the network prior to login.

You might want to enable:

Computer Configuration - Windows Settings - System - Scripts - Run startup scripts visible:enabled

Make sure the share AND NTFS permissions allow "Domain Computers" read (and write if necessary) access to the script

To run it at startup, put it in the

Computer Configuration - Windows Settings - Scripts (Startup/Shutdown) - Startup

section of the GPO you're using. This will run after the workstation has updated group policy to tell itself it needs to initialise the network prior to login.

You might want to enable:

Computer Configuration - Windows Settings - System - Scripts - Run startup scripts visible:enabled

Hmm, this is driving me batty. I've done all you mentioned and it's still not working.

The event logs atleast are offering some info. It's saying that it can't find the file specified. "Could not execute the following script audit.bat. The system cannot find the file specified."

You've been a great help so far... any more ideas? :P

Thanks,

Pinkbits

• 4 years later...

Hmm, this is driving me batty. I've done all you mentioned and it's still not working.

The event logs atleast are offering some info. It's saying that it can't find the file specified. "Could not execute the following script audit.bat. The system cannot find the file specified."

You've been a great help so far... any more ideas? :P

Thanks,

Pinkbits

I know it's 4 years too late, but I was banging my head over this problem too...

I got my script to run by disabling the tray icon from appearing. I guess it's looking for a way to display the tray icon and then craps out

#NoTrayIcon
Opt("TrayIconHide", 1)