WinGetText returning 'little squares'

I am having trouble with getting text from a window. I'm trying to get the text of a code editor - something better/more complex than notepad preferably - perhaps notepad++ or (best of all) Dreamweaver. If I use the advanced mode for getting the window, I get the contents of the 'visible text' panel from window info, but all the actual text - the text I really want - appears to be a bunch of little squares (non-printable characters?). Is this a text encoding issue? How do I convert those 'little squares' into the text I actually see in the window??? What format are these little squares? Can I convert them to Unicode or ascii or something vaguely 'normal'?

If there is only one character in the window, I get it just fine. If more than one, I get a 'little square'. This suggests that it might be unicode or some such. (Two bytes per char).

Please can anyone help with this?

notepad++ alos uses SciLexer, so this should work, too: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...st&p=641310

*GERMAN* [note: you are not allowed to remove author / modified info from my UDFs]My UDFs:[_SetImageBinaryToCtrl] [_TaskDialog] [AutoItObject] [Animated GIF (GDI+)] [ClipPut for Image] [FreeImage] [GDI32 UDFs] [GDIPlus Progressbar] [Hotkey-Selector] [Multiline Inputbox] [MySQL without ODBC] [RichEdit UDFs] [SpeechAPI Example] [WinHTTP]UDFs included in AutoIt: FTP_Ex (as FTPEx), _WinAPI_SetLayeredWindowAttributes

Some time ago I had the same behavour.

A "tab" was put in a notepad. I selected the tab (at time I didn't knew it was a tab) and pasted it in the "find" (of the notepad) I also got a little square.

You might find out what it is by using asc() and chr()...

Best regards,

Peter