New Game - Alpha Pulse

MattyGibbard

Hey Everyone,

As promised, I am going to post up my game made in AutoIt. It is called Alpha Pulse and is made in pure AutoIt, no DLL's, no GDI+.

Features:

-Quick gameplay

-Full sound and graphical interface

-4 Difficulty Settings

-Online Leaderboards

-Frequent Updates

Please take a look and try and beat eachothers scores to get on the leaderboard. This requires an internet connection, but you all have one of those to be able to download it.

At the moment, I'm only releasing the exe but I will release the source at a later date.

I am open to suggestions, critisism and feeback, but remember that this is my first ever game and I am new to AutoIt.

DOWNLOAD:

www.mattgibbard.com/engine/Engine081.exe

NOTE: I know it sometimes freezes on the splashscreen, this is because it is checking my server for updates. I will fix this soon.

Instructions:
You play Alpha. You get chased by Beta while you are collecting points. Survive as long as you can.
Up Key - Move Up
Down Key - Move Down
Left Key - Move Left
Right Key - Move Right
Hold Movement Key - Boost

Rules:
The longer you wait, the points decrease.
Do not let Beta touch you.

EDIT.

Newest Version Here:

DOWNLOAD:

www.mattgibbard.com/engine/Engine081.exe

Edited by MattyGibbard

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very Nice Game; I wasn't expecting the music and had my volume cranked up, that was a welcome surprise. I am definitely looking forward to the source code, just to see how you are dealing with the high-score. Keep up the good work!

Bug-Fixes/Things to implement (all suggestions of course, this is your game):

The Background Sound quits after losing the first round.

Hotkeys for turning On/Off sound.

Hotkeys for Pausing/UnPausing game.

Pause game if Game is not active window.

If the "target" spawns directly on top of "Alpha" it will cause "Alpha" to be the same sprite as the "Target" until it is acquired and a new "Target" spawns.

"Target" spawns directly on top of "Alpha" at beginning of level occasionally.

Leaderboard showing maybe top 10 high scores?

Edit: 2453! I love this game

Edit2: The High Score reset :unsure: Guess I'll have to keep playing :P

Edited by Sias88

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."

Very Nice Game; I wasn't expecting the music and had my volume cranked up, that was a welcome surprise. I am definitely looking forward to the source code, just to see how you are dealing with the high-score. Keep up the good work!

If the "target" spawns directly on top of "Alpha" it will cause "Alpha" to be the same sprite as the "Target" until it is acquired and a new "Target" spawns.

Thank you for the feedback. I will be working on all of your suggestions soon. It also has an update feature so it will download the latest version when available so keep playing!

Thanks all.

Wow! Your avatar is almost 800 kB. I bet you don't have one with over 1MB.

@mattygibbard, I'm getting "Subscript used with non-Array variable" error after I die.

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

Nice looking start window! What kind of technique you used?

But I get the same error message when the game is over: "Subscript used with non-Array variable"

I'm using Vista x32.

Nice work!

UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

Nice looking start window! What kind of technique you used?

But I get the same error message when the game is over: "Subscript used with non-Array variable"

I'm using Vista x32.

Nice work!

UEZ

Sorry about the error after you die. Someone has been a complete idiot and messed around with my hosting files. It's ok, I have their IP and ISP settings logged so I'll be dealing it out on BlackBay later on.

The error should be fixed now guys.

EDIT:

Ok, someone seems to have set something up to screw with my hosting files. I've changed their name and location. The leaderboard did work, but I've temporarily removed it until I can add some encryption to the saving method. Can anyone help me set up some encryption and who knows a bit off HTML, PHP and MySQL lend me a hand?

I cannot belive someone has such a low life, that they have to try and ruin a highscore board. Do you seriously fail that much, that you need to get some 'internet points' by breaking a game? What a looser. Oh, and when you saved your score, I now have your IP and ISP.

Edited by mattygibbard

I cannot belive someone has such a low life, that they have to try and ruin a highscore board. Do you seriously fail that much, that you need to get some 'internet points' by breaking a game? What a looser. Oh, and when you saved your score, I now have your IP and ISP.

Wow, you're really showing how much better you are then them by stooping to "dealing out" there info and really makes me want to download your game....

I visited the page that contained the HS post form, and sorta goofed...

Now the program is giving a subscript error again... I honestly wasn't trying to mess anything up, I was just looking around...

This happened on 11:15pm EST March 15th... So I'm not related to anything that happened prior... Although an easy way to prevent stuff like this from happening would be to use some sort of authentication... Which I would help build if your interested...

Oh, and just for the record, AutoIt scripts are never totally secure.

I am fairly familiar with PHP, SQL, and HTML, What do you have in mind?

I feel somewhat guilty seeing how pissed you got at the last guy who messed it up... So I'll help where I can...

[EDIT]

I managed to fix it by posting the correct syntax for a HS... But I won't be messing with it anymore...

Unless you still need help with that PHP, SQL stuff... :P

The very FIRST thing I would do to that page would be, make those input fields hidden in the HTML... That will keep most of the evil doers away... While certainly not a 'fix', it would cut down a bit I think...

P.S. Got so caught up in the whole... "Oops, I broke it.." thing, I forgot to comment on the actual game! The sounds are awesome, good job on everything, has a real sound architecture, and is somewhat addicting... Grade A.. :unsure:

[/EDIT]

Edited by BinaryBrother

SIGNATURE_0X800007D NOT FOUND

Sorry about the error after you die. Someone has been a complete idiot and messed around with my hosting files. It's ok, I have their IP and ISP settings logged so I'll be dealing it out on BlackBay later on.

The error should be fixed now guys.

EDIT:

Ok, someone seems to have set something up to screw with my hosting files. I've changed their name and location. The leaderboard did work, but I've temporarily removed it until I can add some encryption to the saving method. Can anyone help me set up some encryption and who knows a bit off HTML, PHP and MySQL lend me a hand?

The start screen (alpha pulse) looks like an optical illusion (movement of the colors stripes)... :P

UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

I have spoken to the person who broke the highscore table. It's sorted now.

To indusy:

My game doesn't actually save any information, so I cannot find a single thing from you playing the game.

I am going to release my next update soon.

EDIT:

I now have the highscore table pretty secure. I would like to take your offer up BinaryBrother to help secure it even further. I was thinking of encrypting it somehow or adding a password. If anyone knows how to make password protected pages in HTML or PHP and would like to be part of the development team, then I'm more than happy to share the source with you.

EDIT2:

I have obfuscated all of the server files and changed their names and locations. They are being hosted externally now, so it will be much more harder to detect. I have also used an MD5 encryption on the save functions. This will hopfully stop anyone from changing their scores.

I want to use a password method to top it off now. I'm trying to think of a way so that all passwords are unique, but valid. Maybe I'll try and find a pattern with some numbers. Using the game and highscore will still look the same, but behind the scenes, a lot of passwords and encryptions will be processed.

Edited by MattyGibbard

Thank you for playing. Do you have any feedback so I can improve it further?

Well I did found these 2 things Sias88 mentioned:

They aren't so big problems but would be nice if you fixed them.

Edit: Where are your Avatar from btw? I think I recognize it but I'm not sure... Looks like it's from a game.

Edited by AdmiralAlkex

Well I did found these 2 things Sias88 mentioned:

They aren't so big problems but would be nice if you fixed them.

Edit: Where are your Avatar from btw? I think I recognize it but I'm not sure... Looks like it's from a game.

Ok, I am working on both at the moment so they will be fixed in the next update. I am currently working on new gameplay elements too.

Here are the elements I was thinking of:

-Switch : This is used for when you are in trouble. Basically, it flips the screen over but leaves the enemy in its place, so you will move away from the enemy. This will cost you a certain ammount of points each time.

-Powerups : You can pick up powerups that will slow the enemy for a set time.

-Dynamic Playing field: I was thinking of having the background grid flashing when the timer is about to run out for the prize or when the enemy gets closer to you.

I just want to see everyones ideas so I can work on the ideas that get mentioned the most.

EDIT: My avatar is from Killzone 2 on the Playstation 3

Edited by MattyGibbard

Maybe add a couple/few walls that appears on the playing field and changes to a random place everytime the "target" changes place. Would make things a little harder. Maybe have more walls on higher difficulty settings?

Also it looks a little weird when "Beta" walks through the target, would it be possible to have him walk around it? Or let "Beta" pick ut the "Target" and reduce the players points :P