Distance Between Zip Codes

zackrspv

So,

I was making a program to automatically show the distance between a client's START zip code, and that of the zip codes of our events. Since i made this script FIRST, to ensure that the math was working with the formulas i found online, I decided to make it a bit easier to read, and follow.

Basically, it uses the (somewhat hacked version, hehe) Haversine formula to calculate the distance across a sphere from the given zip code's latitude and longitude positions. The data is provided by the US Census bureau, and the file is required to run the program :unsure:

NOTE: As it's math, and not pulling from a secondary site, no, it's not 100% accurate; but, hey, it gets you the information rather close to the actual distance.

Instructions

Download ZIP Code DATA: http://www.census.gov/tiger/tms/gazetteer/zcta5.zip

Download the following script, and put BOTH files in the SAME DIRECTORY and run :P

What happens when script runs normally.

Posted Image

What happens when Zip1 or Zip2 is bad.

Posted Image

Enjoy!

dst.au3

-_-------__--_-_-____---_-_--_-__-__-_ ^^€ñ†®øÞÿ ë×阮§ wï†høµ† ƒë@®, wï†høµ† †ïmë, @ñd wï†høµ† @ †ïmïdï†ÿ ƒø® !ïƒë. €×阮 ñø†, bµ† ïñ§†ë@d wï†hïñ, ñ@ÿ, †h®øµghøµ† †hë 맧ëñ§ë øƒ !ïƒë.

Excellent Program, and an interesting way of calculating distance. When I first read the topic I assumed you would just pull information from MapQuest or Google Maps; Using Latitude/Longitude is an original way of doing it. :P

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."