Best way to background print an RTF file

Kiai

I have a script that exports an rtf from on application, does some mail-merge type of work, then I print out the final version. Currently I am using wordpad with the /pt command line option to print the rtf file to a specified printer. This works fine except for 2 things:

Even though I run wordpad in hide mode, it flashes up on the screen momentarily (confusing users).

Because wordpad page margins are stored in the registery (and wordpad ignores html page margin commands) I have to adjust the registry settings at every printing.

Any suggestions about how to silently print an rtf file?

I'm also still trying to figure out how to put formatted text in to the clipboard via an autoit script -- not copying existing formatted text, I want to clipput("/bBold/b") or something and be able to paste in to word or wordpad and have the text come out bold. Suggestions?

Did you tried _FilePrint()?

From the help

Function _FilePrint

Prints a plain text file.

so maybe best not to try.

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

I have a script that exports an rtf from on application, does some mail-merge type of work, then I print out the final version. Currently I am using wordpad with the /pt command line option to print the rtf file to a specified printer. This works fine except for 2 things:

Even though I run wordpad in hide mode, it flashes up on the screen momentarily (confusing users).

Because wordpad page margins are stored in the registery (and wordpad ignores html page margin commands) I have to adjust the registry settings at every printing.

Any suggestions about how to silently print an rtf file?

I'm also still trying to figure out how to put formatted text in to the clipboard via an autoit script -- not copying existing formatted text, I want to clipput("/bBold/b") or something and be able to paste in to word or wordpad and have the text come out bold. Suggestions?

Is opening the rtf with Word an option?

This should work on most windows PCs

$sRTFfilename = "C:\data\test.rtf" ;Change this path to one of your own
ShellExecute('"' & $sRTFfilename & '"', "", @ScriptDir, "print", @SW_HIDE)

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

This should work on most windows PCs

$sRTFfilename = "C:\data\test.rtf" ;Change this path to one of your own
ShellExecute('"' & $sRTFfilename & '"', "", @ScriptDir, "print", @SW_HIDE)

That does work -- opens the default program for the file, in this case Word. Unfortunately, even with the @SW_HIDE the program still opens on the desktop (confusing the user). I really want a truly background print with nothing flashing on the screen.

Thanks for your help!

If I remember right, someone made a print udf. I would have to search for it...

Prog@ndy wrote some printer udfs using some work by GRS, which include getting the DC of the printer. I think it's in example scripts. I also have a printer udf but there is no access the the printer DC and no way to deal with rtf.

With Prog@ndy's udf you could do what you want by

• create a gui with a rich edit, but not show it. Try this UDF. There are others around.
  • Then see msdn here on how to print it to a DC.
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.