How to find out if there were errors during an install

Hi,

I am creating an automated installation. But, I am not sure if there will be any errors during this process. When I run it normally it complete without any issues. Is there some method to incorporate some code in my autoit script to identify errors during the install? This can be for any type of install. not limited to just 1 product.

The way I see it, you expect a certain pattern to occur during install.

The pattern may be:

Start installer

Wait for window with name X

Click next in this window

Wait for window with name Y

or something else.

If at some point that pattern no longer applies, something unusual has happened and it needs user input - error or not.

The way I see it, you expect a certain pattern to occur during install.

The pattern may be:

Start installer

Wait for window with name X

Click next in this window

Wait for window with name Y

or something else.

If at some point that pattern no longer applies, something unusual has happened and it needs user input - error or not.

Thanks for the prompt reply. This is a similar strategy I was thinking of. When I wait for window Y to appear I give it a timeout of a few seconds using WinWait("title", "", seconds). If the window does not appear I generate a error report. But, some older systems might take a longer time to reach window Y. My program would consider this as an error. Do you think there is any other method?

Maybe compare all window activity to what is expected.

It could capture events like:

- waiting for window with name Y to take focus ( no time out )

|

-> window with name H appeared, out of normal

Edit:

I have thought about it for a while but I think it would be possible for the most part to make a generic installer script creator which checks for errors like this too. Most installations are so common you can just press "Next" button a lot.

Edited by Manadar

Maybe compare all window activity to what is expected.

It could capture events like:

- waiting for window with name Y to take focus ( no time out )

|

-> window with name H appeared, out of normal

Edit:

I have thought about it for a while but I think it would be possible for the most part to make a generic installer script creator which checks for errors like this too. Most installations are so common you can just press "Next" button a lot.

Hmmmmmm .... the problem I expect is my window X is still there and stuck. So, my program waits for windows Y and is stuck there forever. That's why I thought a timeout would help.