Declaring Variables

If I have a function that declares a variable, then starts another function that uses that variable, the second function doesn't work. It says that I have used a variable that wasn't declared.

HotKeySet ("{end}", "myfunction")

Sleep (2000)

Func myfunction ()
    $myvariable = 5
    myfunction2 ()
EndFunc

Func myfunction2 ()
    ToolTip ($myvariable)
    Sleep (2000)
EndFuncoÝ÷ Ù8^¢yrÁ¬q©ßwZ®§vØb²+-¡Ú,¢g­)à)¶¬jëh×6HotKeySet ("{end}", "myfunction")

$myvariable2 = 0
$myvariable = 0

Sleep (2000)

If $myvariable2 = 1 Then
    ToolTip ($myvariable)
    sleep (2000)
EndIf

Func myfunction ()
    $myvariable = 5
    myfunction2 ()
EndFunc

Func myfunction2 ()
    $myvariable2 = 1
EndFunc

Does anyone know an easier way to do something like this?

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Oh, didn't know that. Now I might be able to fix a couple of my scripts. Thanks.

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

You already figured out how to solve this :D

I'm not sure that the OP has figured out how to solve this since the second code is so different from the first - but it does declare the variable(s) from the first script outside of the func code
HotKeySet("{end}", "myfunction")

Global $myvariable

Sleep(2000)

Func myfunction()
    $myvariable = 5
    myfunction2()
EndFunc   ;==>myfunction

Func myfunction2()
    ToolTip($myvariable)
    Sleep(2000)
EndFunc   ;==>myfunction2

[size="1"][font="Arial"].[u].[/u][/font][/size]

Ah, so I just have to declare the variable before the function.

• Moderators

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

So declaring a variable using local lets you use it on that script, and using global lets you use it on other scripts as well, right?

So what do dim and const do?

• Moderators

So declaring a variable using local lets you use it on that script, and using global lets you use it on other scripts as well, right?

So what do dim and const do?

http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/i...g_variables.htm

You really should consult your help file.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

I did look at the help file, but I guess I failed to notice this part:

Dim = Local scope if the variable name doesn't already exist globally (in which case it reuses the global variable!)

Global = Forces creation of the variable in the Global scope

Local = Forces creation of the variable in the Local/Function scope