Gif with exe

Kiai

Below is the post and response I put out earlier. I thought I had it figured out but I'm still puzzled. I want to include 3 small gifs in the exe file so that I only have to distribute one file, not 4. I thought I could use:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_File_Add=C:\Program Files\SmaRTE\clipboard.gif,rcdata,clipboard.gif

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_File_Add=C:\Program Files\SmaRTE\red-stop.gif, rcdata,red-stop.gif

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_File_Add=C:\Program Files\SmaRTE\yellow-stop.gif, rcdata,yellow-stop.gif

but this only works if the gif files are copied in to the program files directory. I know there are probably answers on the forum but I can't quite get it -- any one have any answers on how to include the files within the exe file?

Previous post:

have 3 small graphics that I am using in a gui. I have them in the script directory when I compile and have them included here:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_File_Add=clipboard.bmp

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_File_Add=red-stop.gif

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_File_Add=yellow-stop.gif

In the program, I am trying to figure out how to find them.

GUICtrlSetImage($alert_pic,@ScriptFullPath&'\yellow-stop.gif')

GUICtrlSetImage($alert_pic,'yellow-stop.gif')

don't work.

I have tried variations on the script path, just the file name, the absolute path in both the include statement and referencing the file later in the program. I'm sure the answer is obvious but I can't figure it out. How do I include and reference a file? Thanks.

Firstly, you should have posted this in the Support forum - it is not an example script!

As to why it does not work, your syntax is wrong - look at the SciTE Help file:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_File_Add= Filename[,Section [,ResName]]

You need to define the filename (which you have), the resource section (which you have not) and resource name (which you also have not). These final 2 parameters are vital because they define where in the .exe the resources are to be stored (and of what type they are) and give the name you use in your code when you want to utilise them.

However, Autoit3Wrapper can only deal with RCDATA type resources and will automatically set the next number in line as the ResName, regardless of what you want. (Jos, that is not a complaint - I know how hard you worked to code this!). Thus you will be able to use the .gifs, but not the .bmp which needs to be stored (unsurprisingly) as a BITMAP type.

However, using ResHacker (Google to find a download site) you can store all types of resource to your heart's content. And as water has already suggested, Zedna's Resources.au3 is an excellent UDF to utilise the stored resources ResHacker has put in your compiled .exe. But do read the thread carefully - you have to understand how to use both ResHacker and the UDF to get the correct results - play with the examples until you are sure you know what you are doing. For example, do not use upx to compress the compiled file until after Reshacker has added the resources.

If you run into problems, post again in the Support forum and we can help.

M23

Try looking at the FileInstall() function in the autoit help file.

FileInstall ( "source", "dest" [, flag] )

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."