IE.au3 and IE8 discussion

I just installed IE8 in a new Vista VM to do some testing.

I was very relieved to see that the main problem introduced with the Vista UAC that caused _IECreate to create two browser windows and leave you with a connection to the wrong one has now been fixed (without having to turn off UAC or use #RequireAdmin). What a relief -- I'm going to stop digging for Vista workarounds for this issue now.

I don't expect many if any problems with the current IE.au3 and IE8, but if you find one please mention it here.

There are a lot of new features available in the new engine and I am just starting to investigate them. These will open some new doors with what we can do with the browser and it's API in this release. You can start reading more here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288472(VS.85).aspx

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

Thanks Dale. I do hope that IE 8 works well with the IE library.

Post your code because code says more then your words can. SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y. Use Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)[topic="84960"]Brett F's Learning To Script with AutoIt V3[/topic][topic="21048"]Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... is now in Session[/topic]Contribution: [topic="87994"]Get SVN Rev Number[/topic], [topic="93527"]Control Handle under mouse[/topic], [topic="91966"]A Presentation using AutoIt[/topic], [topic="112756"]Log ConsoleWrite output in Scite[/topic]

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having an issue with Gears & IE (Both 7 & 8) in Vista, such as can be found at http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_multiupload.

Basically, when I launch a browser and navigate to the page manually, everything works perfectly. However, when I use _IECreate or _IEAttach and navigate to the page, I am prompted to "Please Install Gears", even though it has been installed.

This has never been a problem in XP.

Edited by Liam

Let me add that in the IE Browser I initiate manually, if I open Tools > Manage Add-ons, there is a whole list of various add-ons, including Gears, Java, Symantec, etc. However, in the browser created by _IECreate, this entire list is empty with the exception of a few add-ons published by Microsoft Corporation, which I assume are native to IE8.

I tried to work around this by doing the following:

$ie = @ProgramFilesDir & '\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe'
Run($ie)

But when I attempted to attach to the browser and navigate from there, it created a new shell with the same issues as above. A little help here would be appreciated.

Sounds like a UAC user context issue to me. Please read about the security model and make some UAC and Internet Zone changes.

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

I found an interesting issue. If you use _IECreate with a url that is in the trusted zone autoit will freeze after opening up the site. However, you can connect to it with _IEAttach and everything is fine. I tested on google.com and when it's in the internet zone everything works as expected, but when added to the trusted sites list with protected mode thus being turned off, iecreate will lock up the script. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.

I'm runing Vista 32bit with sp2 rc and IE8.

David

Edited by DavidPratt

@timsky - different rendering engines from the ground up

@DavidPratt - please post a reproducer (code and specific steps)

Dale

i installed ie8, i think my function use large Virtual Memory than before i used ie6.

my problem link:

how to reduce "Virtual Memory"

http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=93313

Are you saying your memory leak doesn't occur when you run it with IE6 instead of IE8? If so, that should have been mentioned in the other topic.

^_^

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

• 2 weeks later...

It seems the issue I've encountered has to do with the fact that on Vista (at least my version) there is both a 'Program Files' folder and a 'Program Files (x86)' folder. There is an Internet Explorer application in both, but the latter one has all the plugins, etc. However, '$ie = ObjCreate("InternetExplorer.Application")' runs the application from the former.