"Catastrophic Error" returned from control

RonGreer

I'm working with a proprietary .ocx file that I'm trying to do some automation with.

I can successfully create the control (ObjCreate) and add it to an AutoIT GUI (GUICtrlCreateObj), but when I try and access properties and methods of that object, I get the following COM Error [From an AutoIT COM Handler]:

Number is: 8000FFFF

Win description is: Catastrophic failure

(The IDispatch::Invoke call is returning E_UNEXPECTED)

If I try and access methods that don't exist, then it correctly tells me that the properties cannot be found.

I think I know what the problem is, I just don't know how to fix it.

Controls that are created in MFC as part of COleControl sometimes require the programmer to call "IPersist*::InitNew()" in order to initialize them properly.

This isn't being done in AutoIT.

I can reproduce this using a C++ app where I try to create it without calling that and it doesn't work, and one where if I do call that, then it does work.

What this does internally is set the COleControl's internal m_bInitialized to true, and allows Dispatch Interface calls on the control. Until this happens, then the initialization isn't done, and it can't work.

I found the last message in this thread to be helpful: http://www.codeguru.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-85299.html

Is there any method of adding this to AutoIT or making this work with the current release?

What are the chances of getting a version of AutoIT that does a QueryInterface for InitNew and calls it if it exists?