Error messages after crash only - need help reseting something...

I have a little media player I wrote that's buggy and sometimes crashes. Afer it does, every time I try to play a new song I get this error message saying,

ActiveMovie Window: Appname - Unable to locate component

This application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll. Re-installing the aplication may fix this problem.

Cool thing is this error message window is skinned win 98 style.

Despite this error message the songs play, after I click ok. Anyhow, I assume that while crashing the app failes to close some handles or something, which it can't open because of this, until I restart the system - sometimes that doesn't help either. My app is just sort of an interface to WMPlayer.OCX which I assume is the main culprit in this.

I'd need some routine at the begining of my script that would reset the problematic part of the system, since debuging will take time I don't have.

Any ideas ?

Not to encourage anybody to mess with my posts but while browsing around I just found that I asked already. I opened a thread TWO round years ago. No replies though... ^_^View old post

Puuuhleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez ! Any ideas how to get rid of this ?

This made me ;)

Did you try to close process tree of your player?

I've got no idea what you mean. There are no subprocesses to this in taskmanager.

@Godly, Glad you did. I can't stop smiling now. It seems there's something good in this trouble after all.

I find it intriguing that nobody even attempts to start debuging the problem and I'm left clueless and idle. Is my question vague or simply too dificult ? Is it my fault or yours ? And why is the sky blue ? Does the comunity want to force me to do my homework and clean my code ? Maybe it's a conspiracy and the error messages are fakes... ^_^;)

Is everybody clueless or is there something wrong with my question ? Do I ask for the impossible ? ;)

I hope not. Try profiling it using Dependency Walker. It helped me pinpoint what could be the likely culprit to my problem, but still I have no idea how to fix it.

This application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll.

MSVCR71.dll is what? Windows is now somewhat suffering from word recession. One of the errors on my computer said 'floating point not loaded'.

And why is the sky blue? This explains it. ^_^

Edited by system24
[center]It's a question of mind over matter, if I don't mind, it doesn't matter.[/center]

Yooohooo ! An actual answer to my questions ! Yey ! I partially knew the stuff about the blue sky, but this article added details I wasn't aware of. Thanks a lot system24 ! Could we get to the non-rhetorical questions now ? ;)

Now look what multitasking made me do. That and listening to experimental industrial rock jazz while posting here... I'm not sure I quoted right, but I'll break the application and get back to you. Yes, I do consider the alternative of having quoted that properly, since look, even I'm here "because MSVCR71.dll". ^_^ I think it said something like it's missing ? Yet I bet it's not. Or if it is, why is that it doesn't even need it until after I restart the application after a crash ?

I hope we all get the point of the fact that my application does start and does work, except after it crashed, when I have these annoying messageboxes to ok-out on every new song it plays.

My situation is somewhat worse. Everytime I hit F5 in SciTE it shows an error message and closes.

And also, check the Dependency Walker FAQ to know which errors can be easily ignored.

Well this error is worse than any expired trial nag-ware could have. I can't ignore it. I have to "ok" on every song. I've heard about Dependency walker, don't see how it could help me. I think it's just windowz. Sseriously, I can't see any relationship between what causes the crash ( I think, I end up trying to load the n+1 element of an array with n by being to lazy to handle an exception... so it never even gets to do something to the ocx) and what happens afterwards. I initially thought there would be a one line easy solution to this. It's too much fuss now. I'll handle the exception and I think I'll rewrite everything and switch to bass.dll since I decided to add streaming capabilities.

I have no idea what could cause your problem. I hope you won't end up reinstalling everything...

Edited by birdofprey

Scratched setup CD ? Security software messing with instalation ? Failing harddrive ? If this isn't encountered by others too, the problem isn't likely to be Scite in my humble opinion. But you already knew all these I guess.

Dependency walker shows some errors on my side, but, as I said, game over. I started this thread out of curiosity, trying to grasp the depths of system mechanics... but that huge tree of dependencies is a great cure for that ^_^

Edited by birdofprey

Game over? How? You reformatted?

And yes, the problem is not SciTE, for I have other applications that have the same error as well. It could be the MSVC???.dll files, or even KERNEL32.dll.

Scratched setup CD ? Security software messing with instalation ? Failing harddrive ? If this isn't encountered by others too, the problem isn't likely to be Scite in my humble opinion. But you already knew all these I guess.

Thanks for giving me more ideas of what could be the reason. Edited by system24
[center]It's a question of mind over matter, if I don't mind, it doesn't matter.[/center]

• Developers

Game over? How? You reformatted?

And yes, the problem is not SciTE, for I have other applications that have the same error as well. It could be the MSVC???.dll files, or even KERNEL32.dll. Thanks for giving me more ideas of what could be the reason.

I think that is what I suggested in your own thread ^_^

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Solved ! I think...

When I said game over, I meant: I'm done trying to figure this out, I'll rewrite it with bass.dll and that's it.

But the issue was on my mind and then I stumbled upod a thread on this forum while trying to see if I can figure out a way to see if the wmp is loaded multiple times... I saw a script, where someone was closing the object differently ! Then I messed with my code a little, and so far things seem to be fine !

It all started over at the thread where CFire created it's UDF, I happened to have issues with increasing memory which eventually we solved...

So my guess is that setting $pObj = 0 is the way to go.

I now go with $pObj.Close() instead. The first thing I do after declaring the object btw, and on exit. It seems I solved the problem, I've been trying to break it and can't ! So far.. ^_^ Can't believe no one had a clue ! Can't believe no one else experienced trouble with this issue...

The funniest thing is I'm quoting something that's 2 whole years old again... ;)

system24, don't forget to let me know what it was if you figure it out.

...Not. ;)

Earlier I couldn't break it, not even by killing the application. Now, all I did is close it... and my worst nightmare is ...back ^_^ It seemed so stable I almost felt happy this afternoon :(

I get those error messages again. While reseting the application over and over - I observed that sometimes the very first song escapes them. But only sometimes. Could it be that I need to Sleep or Wait for something here - make sure the object is closed before opening it again ? What could be the source of this randomness ???