Help me - Method for Time stamp Based Backup of files needed

Hello,

Please help me in this. I need to automate a work at my workplace which I have to do manually everyday.

Actually there is a database file which is generated every hour. Actually at a time three consecutive files are backed up- 1 each hour, and the oldest file is automatically purged. Now this whole thing is done by a software running in the machine which makes these backup files in a particular folder of the same system and there is no way to change/configure that. The file is an important file and would be needed at the time of emergency and I am afraid if the hard disk crashes, the backup files created by the software would be of no use.

So for precaution, I manually copy the file to another mapped drive every hour and this particular thing is quite annoying. So please help me in this please. I am not a good programmer and therefore asking you all please please help.

Now I need something that would search a particular folder in the LOCAL Computer for the latest file(file with latest time stamp or something) and copy it to a Mapped Drive or a Path over the Network. Also an additional function/script is needed here (That I intend to run on the computer where the backup is being made by this YOUR script) that would search and remove the oldest file/ file with oldest time stamp (to keep a check on the size of the folder) I will run the scripts using Scheduled Tasks which would initiate your Script every hour at a predefined time.

Also I must tell you that I am a complete rookie at scripting & programming, so please If you can be kind enough to provide some description. I would run the thing on Windows 2000 & Windows 2003 Server

Please Help.

Thanks in advance,

Neonjacob :D:o

Hello,

Please help me in this. I need to automate a work at my workplace which I have to do manually everyday.

Actually there is a database file which is generated every hour. Actually at a time three consecutive files are backed up- 1 each hour, and the oldest file is automatically purged. Now this whole thing is done by a software running in the machine which makes these backup files in a particular folder of the same system and there is no way to change/configure that. The file is an important file and would be needed at the time of emergency and I am afraid if the hard disk crashes, the backup files created by the software would be of no use.

So for precaution, I manually copy the file to another mapped drive every hour and this particular thing is quite annoying. So please help me in this please. I am not a good programmer and therefore asking you all please please help.

Now I need something that would search a particular folder in the LOCAL Computer for the latest file(file with latest time stamp or something) and copy it to a Mapped Drive or a Path over the Network. Also an additional function/script is needed here (That I intend to run on the computer where the backup is being made by this YOUR script) that would search and remove the oldest file/ file with oldest time stamp (to keep a check on the size of the folder) I will run the scripts using Scheduled Tasks which would initiate your Script every hour at a predefined time.

Also I must tell you that I am a complete rookie at scripting & programming, so please If you can be kind enough to provide some description. I would run the thing on Windows 2000 & Windows 2003 Server

Please Help.

Thanks in advance,

Neonjacob :D:o

Look up functions like _FileListToArray() and FileFindFirstFile()\FileFindNextFile() to list the files. Use FileGetTime() to check the last modified times. FileCopy() and FileDelete() are pretty self-explanatory.

Scripts that might delete things should always be test with just a MsgBox() or something in place of the deletion for testing. Once you know it's working as designed, then you can change MsgBox() to FileDelete().

If you get stuck, post a more specific question.

Just like the Waterboy, "Yew can do eet!"

:D

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

hi, i might be tempted in doing it for you as iv just about finished my current project you can have a look here Visit My Website

and im kinda looking for something else to do. if you want to pm me i'll have a chat with you and see what your requiring exactly.

p.s. i would suggest you have a go yourself as this sounds like a very quick entry level script and a good kinda place to start out, so as said above go on have a go "Yew can do ett" :D

Edited by JackDinn

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

JD's Auto Internet Speed Tester

JD's Clip Catch (With Screen Shot Helper)

Projects :- AutoIt - My projects

My software never has bugs. It just develops random features. :-D