Pointers and Strings

torels

Hi there

I am learning C++ (or trying to do that... XD) but I have a BIG perplexity on a piece of code I wrote

how come is this not working ?

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int Dimension(char* Ptr)
{
    int i=0;
    do {
        i++;
  } while (Ptr[i]!='\0');
  return i;
}

int main()
{
char* String;
cout<<"Scrivi una stringa"<<endl;
cin>>String; //HERE IS THE PROBLEM... I DON'T KNOW WHY...
cout<<"Al contrario: " << strrev(String) << endl;
return 0;
}

It only worked like this:

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int Dimension(char* Ptr)
{
    int i=0;
    do {
        i++;
  } while (Ptr[i]!='\0');
  return i;
}

int main()
{
char* String;
char StringArray[100000];
cout<<"Scrivi una stringa"<<endl;
cin.getline(StringArray, 100000);
String=StringArray;
cout<<"Al contrario: " << strrev(String) << endl;
return 0;
}

My question is... isn't there a way to get strings (or any other input) WITHOUT using an Array before ? (not using #include <String>... I'm trying to learn pointers... that's the whole point ;)

thanks in advance ^_^

Some Projects:[list][*]ZIP UDF using no external files[*]iPod Music Transfer [*]iTunes UDF - fully integrate iTunes with au3[*]iTunes info (taskbar player hover)[*]Instant Run - run scripts without saving them before :)[*]Get Tube - YouTube Downloader[*]Lyric Finder 2 - Find Lyrics to any of your song[*]DeskBox - A Desktop Extension Tool[/list]indifference will ruin the world, but in the end... WHO CARES :P---------------http://torels.altervista.org

No. Just declaring 'char *string;' only declares a POINTER to a char array (currently a pointer to VOID because you haven't declared the array). You must allocate space for the string, the array, before trying to store anything there. You also cannot use just 'cin >> var;' since it won't accept strings with spaces.

char buff[100];
cout << "type something" << endl;
cin.getline(buff, 100);
cout << "you typed:  " << buff << endl;
Edited by wraithdu

ah ok

now everything's clearer

thanks alot ;)

btw... I knew about the cin.getline() func ^_^

and... I have another question...

How Do I Redimension an Array... So let's say... if I declare buff[100] but the input is only 5 chars and I want to free Memory by redimensioning the array to 4... how do I do that ?

Some Projects:[list][*]ZIP UDF using no external files[*]iPod Music Transfer [*]iTunes UDF - fully integrate iTunes with au3[*]iTunes info (taskbar player hover)[*]Instant Run - run scripts without saving them before :)[*]Get Tube - YouTube Downloader[*]Lyric Finder 2 - Find Lyrics to any of your song[*]DeskBox - A Desktop Extension Tool[/list]indifference will ruin the world, but in the end... WHO CARES :P---------------http://torels.altervista.org

How Do I Redimension an Array... So let's say... if I declare buff[100] but the input is only 5 chars and I want to free Memory by redimensioning the array to 4... how do I do that ?

You can't redimension an array. If you want to beeing able to allocate and delete memory during runtime you have to use the new and delete keywords.

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/dynamic/

Edited by monoceres

Broken link? PM me and I'll send you the file!

You cannot. Standard arrays in C++ are static once declared. You're talking about dynamic memory (new and delete operators). You'd have to create your new array, copy the old values into the new array, and delete the old array.

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/dynamic/

I think it's time for a C++ book for you.

Yeah maybe XD

I'm not quite understanding it...

It's... let's say... complicated! ^_^

No. Just declaring 'char *string;' only declares a POINTER to a char array (currently a pointer to VOID because you haven't declared the array).

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. Whether you initialize the pointer or not, it is still a pointer to a character. If you mean the pointer is initialized to zero, that is not true. Variables (that includes pointers) will not be initialized to any specific value - it'll take the value of what was previously in that memory address (which sometimes happens to be 0). ^_^

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here. Whether you initialize the pointer or not, it is still a pointer to a character. If you mean the pointer is initialized to zero, that is not true. Variables (that includes pointers) will not be initialized to any specific value - it'll take the value of what was previously in that memory address (which sometimes happens to be 0). ^_^

I think he just means it doesn't point to any usable data.

Edited by monoceres

Broken link? PM me and I'll send you the file!

Yeah, confusing at best. ^_^

A pointer-based string in C++ is an array of characters ending in the null character ('\0'), which marks where the string terminates in memory.

Edited by system24
[center]It's a question of mind over matter, if I don't mind, it doesn't matter.[/center]

• 3 weeks later...