boot.ini ... i think

this has nothing to do with autoit or anything so im not sure if i should be posting or if im breaking the rules but i really need help

8 days ago i had a power blackout at my house while i was on my comp .. i went to turn it on again and i get this error ( took with digitial camera) ... the ram isnt faulty and the HD hasnt been erased or anything ... currently i am typing this on a backcomp with the 'broken' HD as a slave and all the files are there , none missing etc . it just wont boot , i have put up a post on another site explaining my whole story..

http://www.pcvelocity.com/view_topic.php?i...=3&jump_to=6681

thanks

qq

Hi,

Boot from your original XP cd and try the recovery mode....

help gives you some help.

you might need Fixboot / FixMbr

Good Luck

Andre

What about Windows without using AutoIt ?It would be the same as driving a car without an steering Wheel!

yeah i tried doing that ... does recovry mode work for every version of xp ...

eg .. if i have windows xp professional and i put in a windows 2003 disk in will that work ? cause i have about 5 different windows disks and i cant remember wat one i installed lol..

and i really dont want to have to reinstall windows cause i hate doing that .. i have to re-install EVERY program and usually i have alot of files i want to keep and copy them to another hard drive and i realy done wanna have to re-install each program lol ...

im going to try xp recovery now on all disks i have

qq

recovery disk must be the xp version u have installed.

I had an problem on my Notebook that after a reboot the ntldr was missing.

Recovery console, copied the file, fixboot.... windows working again...

Andre

What about Windows without using AutoIt ?It would be the same as driving a car without an steering Wheel!

yer, ntdlr is there as its an essential file needed to boot ^^ ... before about 4 days ago i tried using recovery and it didnt do anything .. i used chkdsk /p to check stuff etc and still reset .... i just tried it then and i gay the gay blue screen of death .. except no i got a different error .. i tried other windows disks and i got the same error for all of them, i used the same disk i used 4 days ago and now i get error ?? =(

i also ran NAV 2005 and found no virus's

heres a photo i took of the error i just got when trying to use recovery

Posted Image

EDIT : wats fix boot again ? and how can i get it :)

Edited by burrup

qq

A reinstall do not neseceraly delete all your programs... you can select when you install, if you want to "overwrite" the current installation. That will delete your windows folder, desktop and internet sittings and so on... SOME programs may not work, but thats rare

well i was pretty sure it wasnt my ram lol ... but i have had trouble with ram b4 .. in the link i provided in my first post it links to a forum where somebody gave me a link to a RAM tester program or sumthing .

i will now go get the ram from my 'busted' comp and stick it in this one and see wat results i get =)

msg back soon

qq

well its not the ram lol ... i just spent about 20 mins fixing THIS computer cause i pulled it apart and it was beeping and stuff lol ... i currently running recovery from XP disc .( i got it to work ) , if that doesnt work im going to try and use a windows XP SP2 disc i have that has a "upgrade" function and see wat happens

qq

boot fix thing is part of the xp recovery.... in the recovery console type /? or help.

Command is fixboot /?

When u've got an cloning/imaging tool u could make an image of your harddrive to cd/dvd/other disk before u actually want to reinstall the Windows.......

Andre

THERE IS HOPE YET !

"http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3B[LN]%3BQ247998"

its the exact error i get and its caused by registry values being read-only

edit : actually its not the EXACT error this is ...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326679

but that refers to bad ram.. and ive already tested mine is fine . hmm

Edited by burrup

qq