Checking For Write Access On Folders

I need to have my script check a folder to ensure it is writable before the script attempts to write data files there. Does anyone have a good way of doing this already?

Up to this point, I've been using the FileOpen code and getting its return value of

-1 if the folder is not writable. The problem with this is, the script must create a file there first in order to give me this answer. I would like a clean way of checking a folder for writablility.

Any thoughts?

-S. Williams

Can't you just erase the file after words?

;Folder Write-Protection Checking example by AutoElectric
$Folder = TheFolder

$Protected = 1
$Handle = FileOpen($Folder&\Test,2)

If $Handle <> -1 then
     FileDelete($Folder&\Test)
     $Protected = 0
EndIf

I don't see any other solution.

Maybe there is a command line tool that will check it but it is not of my knowledge.

Edit: Appearantly the forum does not allow font styles to be embedded within code tags.

Edited by AutoElectric

From the book of AutoElectric"Do not accuse another man, without proof, or you too will be accused", Morals 4:21The book of AutoElectric is MY book of morals, and follows biblical teachings.

Yes it's called 'attrib'  :)

Would just manually setting the folder to writeable work?

RunWait(@ComSpec & ' /c attrib -R',@DirectoryYouWantToCheck,@SW_HIDE)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Autoit inbuilt functions maybe more suited, to the task? :D

FileGetAttrib ( "filename" )
FileSetAttrib ( "file pattern", "+-RASHNOT" [, recurse] )
Edited by MHz

and there ya' go....  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks guys. The thing is...the folder may not even be available. For example, the folder may reside on a server which is currently offline or unavailable. Attrib will not work for this. That is why I was careful to say "writable"...as opposed to "have write permissions".

Creating a file and then deleting it afterwards is a little silly and unclean I think.

Edited by objectivescott

I thought it was attrib, but I didn't seem to see the relation ship between non-writtable and read only. I thaught write-protected folders were set by some other means.

Edited by AutoElectric

From the book of AutoElectric"Do not accuse another man, without proof, or you too will be accused", Morals 4:21The book of AutoElectric is MY book of morals, and follows biblical teachings.