Reducing a variable to a certain length

Hello all!

I'm writing a small program for the school district I work at. At the district, all computers are named in this format: bbb-rrrr-nn (b = building, r = room, n = number). So for example, one computer may be named AHS-B122-03.

The script I'm working on will need to read/write a specific file depending on what room it is in. I figured the easiest way to do this would be to cut off the last three characters of EnvGet("computername"). So that AHS-B122-03 would be cut down to just AHS-B122.

I'm trying to find a way to do this, but I'm not having much luck so far. Is there a way to cut a string down to a certain length? I can either go for just cutting it off at eight chars, or removing the last three, whichever is easiest.

Thanks!

Hello all!

I'm writing a small program for the school district I work at. At the district, all computers are named in this format: bbb-rrrr-nn (b = building, r = room, n = number). So for example, one computer may be named AHS-B122-03.

The script I'm working on will need to read/write a specific file depending on what room it is in. I figured the easiest way to do this would be to cut off the last three characters of EnvGet("computername"). So that AHS-B122-03 would be cut down to just AHS-B122.

I'm trying to find a way to do this, but I'm not having much luck so far. Is there a way to cut a string down to a certain length? I can either go for just cutting it off at eight chars, or removing the last three, whichever is easiest.

Thanks!

I like the versatility of regular expressions.

;
;$sStr = EnvGet("computername"); = @ComputerName
$sStr = "AHS-B122-03"
; \1 = building; \2 = room; \3 = number (if required)
$StrMod = StringRegExpReplace($sStr, "(.+)-(.+)-(.+)", "\1-\2")

MsgBox(0, "", $StrMod)
;