Instant folder navigation ideas?

Hello,

I'm just wondering what are the best ways to navigate around Windows directories from within Scite.

Basically, I'm doing lots of testing of lots of various little scripts, and I have tons of folders and subfolders in which I keep the scripts organized by category. The problem I'm having is that when I create a new script, I don't like to have to navigate to find the folder and subfolders where I want to save the file to.

If I want to go get a file and open it in Scite, I want to be able to jump to that folder instantly.

I'm often saving to and opening from various subfolders, so a simple setting of remember last, or current directory is not really good enough.

I need like a list of paths that pops up that I can click to go anywhere instantly.

So, using AutoIt, I'm looking for any ideas that others may be using if they do lots of folder navigating.

Also, any ideas like a File> Save New....where a hotkey could just save the current au3 with an incremented number at the end of it's name...so no directory navigation is even needed, where a simple filename incremented number would do.

Any ideas for less time spent clicking through directories when making lots of scripts that need to go in diverse subfolders would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for any ideas for me to try.

frew

Thanks JackDinn. Yes, nice idea. I have that too. But what I'm referring to here is for a technique with Open/Save dialog boxes when I go to save or open a file form within Scite. The dialog box pops up and then the navigation begins...when I'm trying to get to some far off folders. I was wondering if someone knew off some cool AutoIt function or code that I could use, or get ideas from, so when the Open/Save dialog boxes pop up, I could just click a path from a list of paths that simultaneously pop up with the dialog box.

...something like that....or else something like code that would enable us to just do a "save new version" where the current file would be saved with an incremented number at the end....like file_1.au3 would save a new version as file_2.au3...another click and file_3.au3 would be created etc. That can be very handy for saving edits of a file as a new version with an incremented number...really fast and simple...no navigating anywhere.

...Or some other great idea that I could use...whatever works to not have to spend so much time and fiddling around with navigating here and there when I have so many little script tests going on, where the au3 are located in all kinds of diverse subfolders.

Thanks so much any other ideas,

frew

hmm well if you have all the shortcuts to where ever you want in a folder on desk top then you can get to a list of all scripts within individual folders in 2 or 3 clicks from Scite or any other highly embedded folder included in the shortcut folder .

i know we all love to get the number of clicks down to the absolute min ;) so i kinda understand what your asking.

just seems a lot of work to save max of 2 clicks to find what your after, & you got the most recently used list.

good luck with it ^_^

Edited by JackDinn

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

JD's Auto Internet Speed Tester

JD's Clip Catch (With Screen Shot Helper)

Projects :- AutoIt - My projects

My software never has bugs. It just develops random features. :-D

if you really wanted to , you could do something quite easy.

have user input a list of locations where you want to get to easy.

save that list to file

check for the scite open/save window to open

read in the saved list of locations to a GUIListBox

if user clicks on one of the items in the list then put that data into the open/save dialogue box

but it all looks just the same as making a folder with short cuts to all these needed locations in it.

im sure it's something to do even if just to learn and play with the great fun AutoIt ^_^

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

JD's Auto Internet Speed Tester

JD's Clip Catch (With Screen Shot Helper)

Projects :- AutoIt - My projects

My software never has bugs. It just develops random features. :-D

Hello,

I'm just wondering what are the best ways to navigate around Windows directories from within Scite.

Basically, I'm doing lots of testing of lots of various little scripts, and I have tons of folders and subfolders in which I keep the scripts organized by category. The problem I'm having is that when I create a new script, I don't like to have to navigate to find the folder and subfolders where I want to save the file to.

If I want to go get a file and open it in Scite, I want to be able to jump to that folder instantly.

I'm often saving to and opening from various subfolders, so a simple setting of remember last, or current directory is not really good enough.

I need like a list of paths that pops up that I can click to go anywhere instantly.

So, using AutoIt, I'm looking for any ideas that others may be using if they do lots of folder navigating.

Also, any ideas like a File> Save New....where a hotkey could just save the current au3 with an incremented number at the end of it's name...so no directory navigation is even needed, where a simple filename incremented number would do.

Any ideas for less time spent clicking through directories when making lots of scripts that need to go in diverse subfolders would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for any ideas for me to try.

frew

I too like to keep every project in its own directory,

Tired of constantly changing dirs I created a directory 'c:\pro' and then placed ntfs junctions for all the various project folders into it.

I created ntfs hardlinks to the scipt files in that same dir

so now 1 dir appears to hold everything, but in reality every project is still in its own folder.

also made a shortcut to that folder, and set a windows shortcut key to open it. ctrl-alt-z and windows explorer pops it open

and finally I edited the registry so that save as dialogs would show c:\Pro as a choice

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\comdlg32\PlacesBar]

"Place4"="C:\\Pro"

Edited by Quual

Thanks WideBoyDixon for the tool you've made. I think this is exactly what I was hoping for. I'm just testing it now, and so far when I open an open or save dialog box, I have set up Ctrl+0 (zero) to bring up the HotFolders popup menu, and at the Hot menu, there's the folder I had set up...very nice!

By the way, is there a limit to the number of folders we can set up? I see 0-9, I haven't tried adding more than that yet. I'll post back to let you know how it goes. Thank you very much!

Also, I love that only a mouse hover is needed to navigate the menus...then not even a click is needed, just Ctrl+0 (for example), hover mouse, and press Enter...very nice!

Also thanks JackDinn and Quual for your ideas...I may explore those too.

Yes, over time, with lots of burrowing through subfolders, workflow is greatly enhanced by being able to jump directly to any subfolder in a list with one click.

frew