finding certain window names or events

Thanks in advance for any tips or info.

I know how to find, for instance, the name of program or the process ID, but I'm curious how to find what a specific window or event would be named to trigger autoit.

My example is with Outlook. When Outlook is minimized and you receive a new E-mail, a small box pops up by the toolbar with some quick information such as who the sender is and the first few lines of what is in the e-mail. If you use Outlook you will know what I'm talking about.

I know there is a way to have autoit detect that, but other than doing a simple WinWaitActive with the name of the program or window, I'm not sure how to pick it up, and since the small window in Outlook that I'm talking about likely doesn't have a specific name, I've no clue where to start.

I'm not looking for a full out script or code for it, but any hints or tips anyone can direct me towards to capture an event that doesn't specifically have a process ID or name associated with it would be awesome.

If this isn't clear enough, I'll take a screen shot of outlook when a new message comes in so it's a bit easier to see what I'm talking about.

Thanks again.

Opt("WinTitleMatchMode",3)
While 1
    if WinExists("Desktop Alert") then MsgBox(0,"New Mail","")
WEnd

This works in my outlook when I use the options menu to create a preview of the pop-up notification. I don't know if this is the correct title for when the actual pop-up is made for incoming email, but you can use the AutoIt window info tool to find out.

Edited by evilertoaster

Opt("WinTitleMatchMode",3)
While 1
    if WinExists("Desktop Alert") then MsgBox(0,"New Mail","")
WEnd

This works in my outlook when I use the options menu to create a preview of the pop-up notification. I don't know if this is the correct title for when the actual pop-up is made for incoming email, but you can use the AutoIt window info tool to find out.

perfect, thanks a ton, thats all i was looking for was that Desktop Alert message, i can work with this from here