How to detect if existing program is aleady running

hi to all. have a little question. i have a compiled .exe script and i have created a filecreateshortcut to install the compiled script. script works and it creates the shortcut link in the desktop. however, everytime i executed the shortcut link of the program it successively executes the program and put itself in the tray. what i want to happen is, if the program is running it will just prompt for a simple messagebox that program is currently running. i modified the compiled script and put ProcessExists command but could not detect if program is running.

Any idea how this will work? Thank you.

Filecreate shortcut script:

$file_source = "\\server1\exe$\test.exe"
$file = FileExists(@SystemDir & "\test.exe")
$icon = "\\server1\exe$\server.ico"

If Not $file Then       
    FileCopy($file_source, @SystemDir, 1)
    FileCreateShortcut(@SystemDir & "\test.exe", @DesktopDir & "\test.lnk", @SystemDir, "", "Link", $icon, "{F1}", "0")
Else
    Exit
EndIf

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Valuater,

I am sure you know already ;-) but for others reading, if you compile using Obfuscator and use the /StripOnly parameter, only the functions you use in each include file are added to the compiled .exe. So in this case, you can use _Singleton and not have "overhead" of the other functions int the Misc.au3 include.

You do need the full SciTE4AutoIt3 package though - but it offers so many advantages over the 'SciTE lite' in the normal install you really should have it anyway :-)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

You could also copy the _Singleton function into your script and edit it to fit your needs. It can be trimmed down to only seven lines if Const $iFlag = 0, and nine lines if Const $iFlag = 1.

It's not as short as Valuater's potentially one line alternative, but his method doesn't offer a unique ID for each script and can be easily bypassed.

_Singleton is confusing IMO, so I prefer to use this

If _MutexExists("MydeswswScriptName") Then
; We know the script is already running. Let the user know?
    MsgBox(0, "Script Name", "This script is already running.!")
    Exit
EndIf

Func _MutexExists($sOccurenceName)
    Local $ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS = 183, $handle, $lastError

$sOccurenceName = StringReplace($sOccurenceName, "\", ""); to avoid error as Valik did
    $handle = DllCall("kernel32.dll", "int", "CreateMutex", "int", 0, "long", 1, "str", $sOccurenceName)

$lastError = DllCall("kernel32.dll", "int", "GetLastError")
    Return $lastError[0] = $ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS

EndFunc ;==>_MutexExists
Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.