AutoIt, AutoItX3, VB, VBA and app automation

DaleHohm

I want to create a GUI that automates functions in a tool called MindManager. I'm trying to figure out the available approaches to accomplish this.

MindManager has a VBA-like API and I have been able to instantiate the AutoItX.Control from it and send key sequences to the application. The VBA-like interface in MindManager gives me no GUI abilitities.

I'm wanting to validate is that 1) the GUI features are not yet part of AutoItX3.dll and 2) it is intended that they will eventually included. I have spent quite a while searching the forums for this info, but could not find it -- my only clue is the lack of mention of the GUI functions in the AutoItX3 helpfile.

The other thing I'm trying to make certain I understand is that the AutoIt scripting language doesn't have the ability to get at the object model of my application (no CreateObject) and I can therefore use it to send keystrokes and play with things like window state, but not manipulate things through it's API. So AutoIt 3.1.0 lets me create a GUI, but doesn't provide the direct API interaction.

So, if I understand properly, one option would be to use something like VB along with the AutoItX3 and VB would allow me to access the application API, use the AutoIt control and would provide me with GUI facilities. I'd like to stick with scripting rather than compiled code if possible.

Is my logic accurate?

Will AutoItX3.dll provide what I need once it supports the new GUI calls? Is this likely to be available soon? Ever?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and answers.

Thanks,

Dale

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

AutoItX is not likely to support the GUI functions.  But AutoIt has got COM CreateObject type functions in alpha/beta - so hopefully you will have something useful soon :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, this is great news and will open lots of doors.

After reading through the forums I had decided that this was the less likely outcome, but of the two it would be preferred for me.

I had read through the update history on the current beta and it looked like all bug-fixes so far, so I'll assume that this is still in the Alpha part of the Alpha/Beta you mention.

Thanks for the reply and I'll be watching axiously for the beta that includes this functionality.

I've never posted to these boards before, but have been using and recommending AutoIt for a long time. The organization, community and functionality improvements that came with V3 and Open Source for fantastic! Thanks to all...

Free Internet Tools: DebugBar, AutoIt IE Builder, HTTP UDF, MODIV2, IE Developer Toolbar, IEDocMon, Fiddler, HTML Validator, WGet, curl

MSDN docs: InternetExplorer Object, Document Object, Overviews and Tutorials, DHTML Objects, DHTML Events, WinHttpRequest, XmlHttpRequest, Cross-Frame Scripting, Office object model

Automate input type=file (Related)

Alternative to _IECreateEmbedded? better: _IECreatePseudoEmbedded  Better Better?

IE.au3 issues with Vista - Workarounds

SciTe Debug mode - it's magic: #AutoIt3Wrapper_run_debug_mode=Y

Doesn't work needs to be ripped out of the troubleshooting lexicon. It means that what you tried did not produce the results you expected. It begs the questions 1) what did you try?, 2) what did you expect? and 3) what happened instead?

Reproducer: a small (the smallest?) piece of stand-alone code that demonstrates your trouble

I had read through the update history on the current beta and it looked like all bug-fixes so far, so I'll assume that this is still in the Alpha part of the Alpha/Beta you mention.

Thanks for the reply and I'll be watching axiously for the beta that includes this functionality.

Hello DaveHohm,

See this topic in the developers forum:

3.1.0++

The first post contains a link from which you can download an unstable (pre-beta) version of AutoIt that contains GUI and COM functionality.

Regards,

-Sven