kiosk

one of our customers bought a win xp home box to put in their waiting room (doctor's office) and wanted the paitents to only be able to do a web survey on it and nothing else. So I scrapped together something over together for them and did as much as I could to keep people only where they should be.

I put a short cut into the startup (the computer is not in the waiting room, just the monitor, keyboard and mouse) so when they start the computer it open MSIE to the home page, the web survey and the only way to exit out , other than pulling the plug is to enter the key code to pull up the password prompt. funny thing the password is the name of the computer running the program (all caps).

the program exit key codes are : alt+shift+bs and ctrl+end

was changing from one to the other and never took out the other, all the blocked keys (and there are a lot) and the exit keycodes are stored in a sqlite file for easy updating and changing

nothing much here but it was one of my first programs, and with the help of this forum

Gnatwork Networks

Nice except for some reason it opened like 10+ Internet explorer windows.

About that: IE7 opens as "Windows Internet Explorer" but then assumes the title of the homepage - forcing your script to open a new one (as WinExists("Internet Explorer") fails)

Also, you might create a delay after opening IE for load-time before checking for it's existence.

Secondly: I couldn't exit the program or bring up the password window by using the the hotkeys while new windows were countinually being opened and activated.

In the end I had to use my controller, which I set up to close windows and kill programs with button presses. However, now my CTRL+ALT+DEL won't work - I'm guessing disableCTRLALTDEL(1) will fix this for me? (the program IS closed)

Edit: nope, ctrl+alt+del seems to be dead either way; how do I re-enable it now, since disableCTRLALTDEL($value) won't do it?

(Note: Alt+Tab is working fine now, though!)

WinXP SP2 (Home)

Edited by crashdemons

My Projects - WindowDarken (Darken except the active window) Yahsmosis Chat Client (Discontinued) StarShooter Game (Red alert! All hands to battlestations!) YMSG Protocol Support (Discontinued) Circular Keyboard and OSK example. (aka Iris KB) Target Screensaver Drive Toolbar Thingy Rollup Pro (Minimize-to-Titlebar & More!) 2D Launcher physics example Ascii Screenshot AutoIt3 Quine Example ("Is a Quine" is a Quine.) USB Lock (Another system keydrive - with a toast.)

not tested at all in vista, I would guess that it's not going to work well at all in vista.

I did forget to say that if you're playing with it change the $testmode var to True to allow just hitting esc to exit out.

It seems that every so often it won't exit out. which for the computer that it's running on is fine as they never close the program or turn off the computer

I'll have to add that delay after opening the window before checking that it's open

Edited by stinson6016

Gnatwork Networks

This is a nice script. It works well.

In my case, it worked a little to well.

You said to use my computer name as the password. Well, I tried that, but it didnt close. Wound up having to restart my computer.

Spoiler

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables,What the heck does a humanitarian eat?"

"I hear voices in my head, but I ignore them and continue on killing."

"You have forced me to raise the indifference warning to beige, it's a beige alert people. As with all beige alerts please prepare to think about the possibility of caring."

An optimist says that giving someone power DOESN'T immediately turn them into a sadist. A pessimist says that giving someone power doesn't IMMEDIATELY turn them into a sadist.