Hey all,

Not sure whether I should be posting here or in the GUI board so I'll try here first. Perhaps a little background will help.

I am retired due to complications of diabetes. To keep myself busy, I work at several security sites assisting people in removing various malware from their computers. It's all voluntary but it's also very rewarding and it keeps my mind sharp. (A little off topic) there are never anywhere near enough of us to keep up with demand so anyone who has some spare time, you should check it out.

The problem that I run into is that I am quite vision impaired and reading through the diagnostic log files that we use becomes very tiring. In order to get the font size to the point that I can read comfortably, a good measure of horizontal scrolling becomes involved.

A few years back, a friend of mine put together a handy little program to assist in analyzing the log files. He did the program in Visual Basic and it was really nice until he disappeared from the face of the earth. His program had a couple of flaws the main one being the size of the database he could use. The other, and another one that I deal with all the time is the font size.

At any rate, I thought it would be interesting to try and do something similar but not meeting the .NET framework. Another friend at one of the security sites turned me onto AutoIt and by extension, the Koda form designer.

Using the form designer, I have put together a main GUI with two or child GUI's and (if, of course I can make that work) a couple of progress meters.

My problem lies in the fact that I have absolutely no programming background whatsoever. By using the AutoIt help file and searching here at the forums I thought that I could maybe just mess around until I came up with the scripts to make my program work. Unfortunately, the more I read, the more confused I get.

What I'm hoping to find here, is to find someone (or several someone's) who has the time to help me put my program together and in the process teach me the basics of programming. It's a lot to ask, I know, but I have gotten the bug. I'm a fairly quick study and I'm hoping that by learning how to write programs be able to create some to assist in analyzing some of the more complicated log files that we use.

Anyway, anyone who has the time, I truly would appreciate it.

Thanks a lot. -- SCB :)

[font="Tahoma"]"I was worried 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat."-- Delbert McClinton[/font]

Hey all,

Not sure whether I should be posting here or in the GUI board so I'll try here first. Perhaps a little background will help.

I am retired due to complications of diabetes. To keep myself busy, I work at several security sites assisting people in removing various malware from their computers. It's all voluntary but it's also very rewarding and it keeps my mind sharp. (A little off topic) there are never anywhere near enough of us to keep up with demand so anyone who has some spare time, you should check it out.

The problem that I run into is that I am quite vision impaired and reading through the diagnostic log files that we use becomes very tiring. In order to get the font size to the point that I can read comfortably, a good measure of horizontal scrolling becomes involved.

A few years back, a friend of mine put together a handy little program to assist in analyzing the log files. He did the program in Visual Basic and it was really nice until he disappeared from the face of the earth. His program had a couple of flaws the main one being the size of the database he could use. The other, and another one that I deal with all the time is the font size.

At any rate, I thought it would be interesting to try and do something similar but not meeting the .NET framework. Another friend at one of the security sites turned me onto AutoIt and by extension, the Koda form designer.

Using the form designer, I have put together a main GUI with two or child GUI's and (if, of course I can make that work) a couple of progress meters.

My problem lies in the fact that I have absolutely no programming background whatsoever. By using the AutoIt help file and searching here at the forums I thought that I could maybe just mess around until I came up with the scripts to make my program work. Unfortunately, the more I read, the more confused I get.

What I'm hoping to find here, is to find someone (or several someone's) who has the time to help me put my program together and in the process teach me the basics of programming. It's a lot to ask, I know, but I have gotten the bug. I'm a fairly quick study and I'm hoping that by learning how to write programs be able to create some to assist in analyzing some of the more complicated log files that we use.

Anyway, anyone who has the time, I truly would appreciate it.

Thanks a lot. -- SCB :)

Link

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

"Everybody catches up with everyone, eventually" 

"As you teach others, you are really teaching yourself."

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

AutoIt Snippets | Multple Guis | Interrupting a running function | Another Send

StringRegExp | StringRegExp Help | RegEXTester | REG TUTOR | Reg TUTOT 2

AutoItSetOption | Macros | AutoIt Snippets | Wrapper | Autoit  Docs

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

Replace $ghGDIPDll with $__g_hGDIPDll

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

• Moderators

The link above from nitekram is an interactive tut.

If you want something with examples on how to do things... http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.ph...c=84960&hl=

Other than that, you need to post specific questions on specific issues you're having, and you'd be amazed at just how much help you'd actually get :) .

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Thanks for the responses and the links. I now have both tutorials. I'm thinking that the program I'm trying to design is way too advanced for a complete newbie such as myself. The Koda form designer made designing the GUI's easy but it appears that writing the script to make it do what I want is going to be pretty complex.

I started working on the AutoIt 1-2-3 tutorial about a week ago and I'll be starting on Brett's tutorial today but I think I will be analyzing those log files the old-fashioned way for quite some time to come. Fortunately, when you've been doing it as long as I have, anything that's out of place jumps out at you pretty quickly.

I'm sure that as I progress through the tutorials and start writing (or attempting to write) scripts of my own, I'll be back to the forums here with lots of questions.

Incidentally, to the author(s) of those tutorials, a HUGE thank you. -- SCB :)

[font="Tahoma"]"I was worried 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat."-- Delbert McClinton[/font]

My early scripts were all just using the send() function pretty much but over time each little bit I picked up got encorporated into larger projects. Things I once thought totally impossible I can do now. (Though I'm not nearly as good as 80% of the people here). Start thinking of your project in pieces rather than a whole. Learn how to do a little thing and you will find that most larger scripts are made up of a bunch of little pieces rather than one enormous piece.

Other People's Stuff:Andy Flesner's AutoIt v3: Your Quick Guide[topic="34302"]Locodarwin's ExcelCom_UDF[/topic][topic="61090"]MrCreatorR's Opera Library[/topic]