I had this FINISHED, lying around, waiting to be released here but I never got around to it.

Now, here it is.

Note 1: this is NOT using any images - it is only drawing-based!

The sounds for this particular project were shamelessly ripped from elsewhere.

Please let me know if it is too hard or too easy - more things can be added/changed!

Posted Image

StarShooter.zip

Known Bugs:

Enemy phaser lines sometimes rarely draw towards 0,0 instead of towards you. Fixed

If you go off-screen [wrapped] too many times or fly straight for too long, enemies clump/merge together on top of each other.

Edited by crashdemons

My Projects - WindowDarken (Darken except the active window) Yahsmosis Chat Client (Discontinued) StarShooter Game (Red alert! All hands to battlestations!) YMSG Protocol Support (Discontinued) Circular Keyboard and OSK example. (aka Iris KB) Target Screensaver Drive Toolbar Thingy Rollup Pro (Minimize-to-Titlebar & More!) 2D Launcher physics example Ascii Screenshot AutoIt3 Quine Example ("Is a Quine" is a Quine.) USB Lock (Another system keydrive - with a toast.)

I'm glad you like it, Yashied - I would like to add a story and some preset animations whenever time permits.

(a space for an animation is already reserved before the final level [the non-existant $level=14] ; a cheat code (the D key) already uses an animation)

My Projects - WindowDarken (Darken except the active window) Yahsmosis Chat Client (Discontinued) StarShooter Game (Red alert! All hands to battlestations!) YMSG Protocol Support (Discontinued) Circular Keyboard and OSK example. (aka Iris KB) Target Screensaver Drive Toolbar Thingy Rollup Pro (Minimize-to-Titlebar & More!) 2D Launcher physics example Ascii Screenshot AutoIt3 Quine Example ("Is a Quine" is a Quine.) USB Lock (Another system keydrive - with a toast.)

I had this FINISHED, lying around, waiting to be released here but I never got around to it.

Now, here it is.

Note 1: this is NOT using any images - it is only drawing-based!

Note 2: I had a complaint about the Sounds not playing so I made them all 8-bit PCM - not sure if it will help or not.

The sounds for this particular project were shameless ripped from elsewhere.

Please let me know if it is too hard or too easy - more things can be added/changed!

Posted Image

Known Bugs:

Enemy phaser lines sometimes rarely draw towards 0,0 instead of towards you.

Looks really nice!

UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

can you make it so you move a bit faster or the enemies move a bit slower, its impossible to shake 4 guys off i they are a couple of pixels behind you!

Very nice though.

MDiesel

You don't have to shake them, you have one thing your empire buddies don't - reverse thrusters.

Try using the Down arrow.

If _IsPressed($Keys[2]) Then $AMoveS=-1; reverse - on a spaceship!? I think not!
Edited by crashdemons

Maybe I should make it so if you get to the edge of the screen you can't fire :)

(or corner-camp for that matter)

I found another trick/bug:

whenever u do the animation pressing D, enemies stop firing, so spamming the animation makes u unbeatable, but after pressing D some times u will not able to do nothing

Cool game, but I have 2 observations.

1. I never heard any sounds.

2. It gives a laggy feeling.

See? i don't know why you and others have problems with this - it works fine here, and all I'm doing is using _SoundOpen, _SoundPlay (using the textual sound "alias").

Additionally, all of the WAV's are 8-bit mono tracks which there shouldn't be any problem playing...

A couple of questions:

Are you extracting all of the files to a folder before running (not just running from the ZIP)?

What AutoIt version are you using?

I'm still using 3.2.12.1 because of changes in later versions.

What OS are you on by chance? - If Vista, did you try Run as Admin? (just to open a WAV file?)

I'll try to add some error-checking for the _Sound* functions in the next update.

PS: Was anyone who tested this able to hear the sounds?

I'm not sure much could be done about that - only necessary data is contained in all of the arrays and the checking that is done is all required for decent operation.

You could always lower that measly Sleep(50) if you had a fast PC, but personally I wouldn't......

The things that really slow it noticeably is having too many things to draw, which is why there is a cap to the "shots" and the collisions/explosions.

I'll look into whether there's any optimizations possible for the multiple things that occur.

Edited by crashdemons

All files extracted to a folder calles StarShooter on my desktop.

Running with AutoIt 3.3.0.0 (it could matter since there was a big rewrite on the sound udf on that version. What version is your AutoIt?).

Windows XP Professional SP3. Account is in Admin group.

Good tip, I changed the Sleep to 25 and it was better looking and a little harder. Much more my style now :)

I found another trick/bug:

whenever u do the animation pressing D, enemies stop firing, so spamming the animation makes u unbeatable, but after pressing D some times u will not able to do nothing

D is a cheat - I made it so that attacks stopped, if you investigate the code you'll see this:

(The starburst is animation 1)

Func AnimCheck()
    Switch $AnimationN
        Case 0

Case 1
            $CanFire=False

I made it so that attacks also resume after the fact, but sometimes level-changes interfere.

Edited by crashdemons

All files extracted to a folder calles StarShooter on my desktop.

Running with AutoIt 3.3.0.0 (it could matter since there was a big rewrite on the sound udf on that version. What version is your AutoIt?).

Windows XP Professional SP3. Account is in Admin group.

Good tip, I changed the Sleep to 25 and it was better looking and a little harder. Much more my style now :party:

I'm using AutoIt 3.2.12.1 because I still write programs for Win98/Win2k etc.

I should try to find out if there's a quick way to switch between AutoIt versions so I can compile programs with either set: legacy or updated.

Personally though, I dislike the idea of having two sets of includes folders - having both seems like a headache either way.

:)

Edited by crashdemons

I'm using AutoIt 3.2.12.1 because I still write programs for Win98/Win2k etc.

I should try to find out if there's a quick way to switch between AutoIt versions so I can compile programs with either set: legacy or updated.

Personally though, I dislike the idea of having two sets of includes folders - having both seems like a headache either way.

:)

That explains it. I had to make all sorts of ugly fixes to 2 of my scripts after upgrading to 3.3.0.0, the Sound UDF have lots of changes (mostly irritating ones).

Update: I added a quick and dirty fix for sounds. (not really efficient - optimizations will occur later)

Sounds should now work with the updated Sound UDF, but not on the old one.

I downloaded AutoIt v3.3 today and tested it out.

• 5 weeks later...

I just updated the script - I've had time to work on it lately and I added and changed a number of things.

Tell me if the script is too hard to finish - I should be able to make it easier with some input.

Animations must now finish before level changes (Fixed starburst cheat hanging on last level)

Enemies were originally allowed to fire phasers if destroyed by phasers (Fixed phaser lines drawing to 0,0)

Wrong array indices were being used in one area. (Fixed jumpy/non-smooth enemy movement etc.)

A number of sections have had the passed information changed to ByRef

The shortest turning angle is now used in conditions - yeilding smarter choices for the computer.

Enemies are now spawned facing at random angles - instead of all 0 degrees.

The dreadnought (the Big Ship) was way too easy - you have to deal with another weapon now.

The dreadnought will also be making unscheduled visits [animation] with it's new gun - reduces camping.

Nearly all "shots" and ships will now wrap from off-screen. (excluding the dread's shiny new weapon)

Unfixed Bug:

If you go off-screen [wrapped] too many times or fly straight for too long, enemies clump/merge together on top of each other while pursuing you.

Let me know what you think.

And now the spoilers:

Cheat 2:

'A', skip to the last level after the current.

Cheat 3:

'S', manually trigger a "visit" from the Dreadnought

The Dread's Weapon is:

A torpedo that starburst-explodes when it hits ANYTHING solid.

Hitting this torpedo head-on may, in many cases, be a near-death experience

Edited by crashdemons