AutoIt compiled .exe size

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the file size of compiled AutoIt scripts? I've been doing a bit of testing on this lately, and I've noticed that AutoIt .exe seem to be larger than they really need to be. For example, I've written a script with exactly one line:

$test = 1

Obviously, this script does nothing but assign a value to one variable, then exits. However, the .exe for the script is 86 KB in AutoIt 3.0, and 118 KB in AutoIt 3.1. Now, I understand that in order to be relocatable the .exe must include all the functions, etc. that it will need, but this still seems a little excessive.

The reason I noticed this was because I had recently written a small program to modify my system path. Basic stuff, but it got the job done, and it compiled to 119 KB. A couple weeks later I found another program (written in FreePascal, I believe) that is much more robust than the one I had written, but was only 35 KB. I found this rather curious, which is why I started looking into this.

Any thoughts/opinions/suggestions on this? Not trying to start a flame war or anything, just wondering how others feel about or have addressed this. Thanks.

Edited by nitro322

It could probably be written in a few kB's if need be, but I suppose that's besides the point. It's not really a problem, just the way it works. Be surprised if a flame comes, this is a ressonable thread.

It may be possible to ONLY include the functions used by the script, but I'm not sure how.

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him." - Mark TwainPatient: "It hurts when I do $var_"Doctor: "Don't do $var_" - Lar.

I can't imagine the script engine getting smaller, 'cause we are havin too much fun with all the new functionality...

Lar.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AMEN Brother

We have enough youth. How about a fountain of SMART?

I recently discovered BCX (BASIC to C Translator). It basically lets you combine C with WIN32API and ASM with a BASIC style language and then translate it to C and object code and an .exe or console program.

It produces fairly small file sizes.

AutoIt3 online docs Use it... Know it... Live it...MSDN libraryglobal Help and SupportWindows: Just another pane in the glass.

• 6 years later...

NO.

Resurrecting a 6-year old thread for that is questionnable at best.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)