Running "takeown.exe"

Hi folks. What I'm trying to do it script "takeown.exe" for use in a data backup app I am throwing together for work. Takeown /r should work recursively but for some reason won't, but when I run it (manually from a DOS box) without the /r it works fine. So I got ahold of a script to do the file/folder recursion for me, but now I can't get takeown to execute properly. :)

I have tried runwait, shellexecutewait, and _rundos (and included #include process.au3 for the _rundos), and have tried including quotes in all the ways I know how to ensure that I wasn't having a path error. Here is a snippet of what I have currently, which looks like it should work, though it is incomplete in a few ways, still the takeown part looks good.

$thisclean=0

if FileExists($sourcedrive&"documents and settings\"&$user&"\my documents")=0 then $thisclean=1
if $thisclean=0 then GUICtrlSetData($foundinfo, "The "&$user&" account is ready")
if $thisclean=1 then $clean=1
if $clean=1 then

$yesorno=msgBox(4,"Private folders found","The "&$user&" account was found to have private folders, would you like to take ownership of the profile?")
     if $yesorno=6 then 

$fa_dir=$sourcedrive&"documents and settings\"&$user
          shellexecuteWait(""""&@tempdir&"\takeown.exe""",$fa_dir)
         ;$thecommand=@tempdir&"\takeown.exe "&""""&$fa_dir&""""              (previous idea)
          call ("findall", $fa_dir)

func findall($fa_dir)

$f_search = fileFindFirstFile($fa_dir & "\*.*")
    if $f_search==-1 then return 0; specified folder is empty!
    while @error<>1
        $f_file = fileFindNextFile($f_search)
    ; skip these
        if $f_file=="." or $f_file==".." or $f_file=="" then
            continueLoop
        endIf
    ; if it's a dir then call this function again (nesting the function is clever;)
        if stringInStr(fileGetAttrib($fa_dir & "\" & $f_file), "D") > 0 then
            shellexecuteWait(""""&@tempdir&"\takeown.exe""",$fa_dir)
            findall($fa_dir & "\" & $f_file)
    else
        ; File we need to dealwith

shellexecutewait(@tempdir&"\takeown.exe "&""""&$fa_dir&"\"&$f_file&"""")
        endIf
    wEnd
    fileClose($f_search)
    return 1

endFunc

Any help would be much appreciated. This is being run on XP using the takeown.exe available as part of the Win2k Resource Kit, if you need it for testing it can be downloaded here

Ian

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • 2048 Game - My version of 2048, fun tile game.
  • Juice Lab - Ecigarette liquid making calculator.
  • Data Protector - Secure notes to save sensitive information.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.
  • Find in File - Searches files containing a specified phrase.

You can add a few ConsoleWrite or MsgBox calls in the code to see how the path looks like. Maybe it's something like C:Document and Settings\blah...

hehe, already did with msgbox, all looked fine.

For what it's worth, I forgot to mention that I use

FileInstall("takeown.exe",@TempDir&"\takeown.exe",1)
but have run items from @tempdir before with no problems......

Thanks

Ian

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.

This:

can just be:

findall($fa_dir)

to more easily escape double quotes(") you can surround them with single quotes.

Also it looks like you're trying to format your commands differently for each instances of takeown. We should see if we can get one working, and then move on.

With Shellexecute the first parameter is the file name, and program parameters are supposed to be in the second parameter, so:

becomes

shellexecutewait(@tempdir&"\takeown.exe", '"'&$fa_dir&"\"&$f_file&'"')
Edited by TurionAltec

This:

can just be:

findall($fa_dir)

to more easily escape double quotes(") you can surround them with single quotes.

Also it looks like you're trying to format your commands differently for each instances of takeown. We should see if we can get one working, and then move on.

With Shellexecute the first parameter is the file name, and program parameters are supposed to be in the second parameter, so:

becomes

shellexecutewait(@tempdir&"\takeown.exe", '"'&$fa_dir&"\"&$f_file&'"')
Thanks so much everyone for the help, especially the bit about single quotes surrounding double quotes, I've been curious about single quotes but haven't bothered looking for info on them. But, I did find a fix, what I have now (working) for the function is:

func findall($fa_dir)
            $formattedfadir=""""&$fa_dir&""""
            RunWait(@tempdir&"\takeown.exe "&$formattedfadir)

$f_search = fileFindFirstFile($fa_dir & "\*.*")
    if $f_search==-1 then return 0; specified folder is empty!
    while @error<>1
        $f_file = fileFindNextFile($f_search)
    ; skip these
        if $f_file=="." or $f_file==".." or $f_file=="" then
            continueLoop
        endIf
    ; if it's a dir then call this function again (nesting the function is clever;)
        if stringInStr(fileGetAttrib($fa_dir & "\" & $f_file), "D") > 0 then
            RunWait(@tempdir&"\takeown.exe "&$formattedfadir)
            findall($fa_dir & "\" & $f_file)
        else
        ; File we need to dealwith

$formattedffile=""""&$fa_dir&"\"&$f_file&""""
                runwait(@tempdir&"\takeown.exe "&$formattedffile)

endIf
    wEnd
    fileClose($f_search)
    return 1

endFunc

I may look in to the other options suggested here for experimentation's sake, but for now I'm gonna call it a win and move on :)

When the project is completed, maybe I'll post it here for general suggestions/improvements/giggles at my noobishness :party:

Thanks again!

Ian

My projects: