CRC32, MD4, MD5, SHA1 -for files

trancexx

Nice :party:, will for sure give it a try. Do you know, which OS provide the "advapi32.dll" by standard? Until now, I always utilize the functions by Ward here. Did you already run a benchmark against those functions?

Keep up the great work :)

Edited by KaFu

Nice :party:, will for sure give it a try. Do you know, which OS provide the "advapi32.dll" by standard? Until now, I always utilize the functions by Ward here. Did you already run a benchmark against those functions?

Keep up the great work :)

You should have no problem running this on XP+.

It should work for Win2000. If not just change "advapi32.dll" in _MD4ForFile() and _MD5ForFile() to "cryptdll.dll".

Btw, Vista is having this functions available in ntdll.dll also.

This is a reaction to Ward's function. I had DEP issues with his functions on several systems (SMF inherited that problem).

This is a reaction to Ward's function. I had DEP issues with his functions on several systems (SMF inherited that problem).

I haven't got problems with DEP so I can't test, but shouldn't protecting the memory with the EXECUTE_READWRITE flag with the VirtualProtect function solve that issue?

Edit: Sometimes I forget words.

Edited by monoceres

Broken link? PM me and I'll send you the file!

Jes, that just happens because I already resold Vista :)... had to do a research on DEP first to understand your statement :idea:. Maybe I should re-buy a Vista Home Version OEM on eBay for testing only :party:?

Will for sure do some testing! Hmmm, but looking at the code, the main advantage I utilize in SMF with Ward's function is, that I don't calculate the full md5 for large files but only a small portion to identify duplicate files, this gives a major speed improvement (without any accuracy loss I realized, 24k is enough to uniquely identify nearly any file (forget MS files, for those I also use a full md5, just to much framecode)). Can't see a way to just partially calculate md5 values for a file, only the whole file seems possible.

Edited by KaFu

I haven't got problems with DEP so I can't text, but shouldn't protecting the memory with the EXECUTE_READWRITE flag with the VirtualProtect function solve that issue?

Edit: Sometimes I forget words.

Yes, yes, of course. I just did few tests (I used mothod of allocating with $PAGE_EXECUTE_READWRITE and moving).

You should drop him a pm or post there.

Jes, that just happens because I already resold Vista :)... had to do a research on DEP first to understand your statement :idea:. Maybe I should re-buy a Vista Home Version OEM on eBay for testing only :party:?

Will for sure do some testing! Hmmm, but looking at the code, the main advantage I utilize in SMF with Ward's function is, that I don't calculate the full md5 for large files but only a small portion to identify duplicate files, this gives a major speed improvement (without any accuracy loss I realized, 24k is enough to uniquely identify nearly any file (forget MS files, for those I also use a full md5, just to much framecode)). Can't see a way to just partially calculate md5 values for a file, only the whole file seems possible.

Last parameter of MapViewOfFile function is determining the number of bytes of a file that you wanna map.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Zedna.

Thing and beauty of these functions is that you are not creating buffers directly. You are not doing memory job.

If writing some, for example, code that reads some file in low(er) level languages you never allocate memory in size of that file. That is done in chunks. AutoIt (internally) is reading some file in chunks of 4096 (*2) bytes and loops until end is reached. If you would do that in script it would take really long time to read e.g. 100MB.

That's why leaving allocation job on a lower level functions is a good thing to do when scripting. Speed is gained. In fact speed of that hashing functions, written in AutoIt, is measurable with speed of hashing functions written in any language.

• 4 weeks later...

trancexx, started tinkering with your functions :) , first speed comparison to Ward's UDF looks promising. Now I got some questions:

- You mentioned DEP problems with Ward's UDF. I'm not sure, but is this related to the fact that the ASM code is loaded to memory and utilized to calculate the md5?

- Is there a specific reason why you use CreateFileMappingW()? Or does the _WinAPI_CreateFile() function trigger DEP (don't think so)? I found it quiet hard to read only parts of a file with CreateFileMappingW() (as I do in SMF to speed up hashing, in fact create fake hashes, for large files).

Best Regards

#include<WinAPI.au3>

Global $nBytes
$Checksum_Filename = @ScriptDir & "\Testfile.exe"

Local $tMD5_CTX = DllStructCreate("dword i[2];" & _
        "dword buf[4];" & _
        "ubyte in[64];" & _
        "ubyte digest[16]")

DllCall("advapi32.dll", "none", "MD5Init", "ptr", DllStructGetPtr($tMD5_CTX))

$hFile = _WinAPI_CreateFile($Checksum_Filename, 2, 2)
$iFileGetSize_Save = FileGetSize($Checksum_Filename)
$iBuffersize = 1024 * 1024 * 10
Local $tBuffer = DllStructCreate("byte[" & $iBuffersize & "]")

For $i = 1 To Ceiling($iFileGetSize_Save / $iBuffersize)
    _WinAPI_ReadFile($hFile, DllStructGetPtr($tBuffer), $iBuffersize, $nBytes)
    DllCall("advapi32.dll", "none", "MD5Update", _
            "ptr", DllStructGetPtr($tMD5_CTX), _
            "ptr", DllStructGetPtr($tBuffer), _
            "dword", $nBytes)
Next

If IsHWnd($hFile) Then _WinAPI_CloseHandle($hFile)

DllCall("advapi32.dll", "none", "MD5Final", "ptr", DllStructGetPtr($tMD5_CTX))

ConsoleWrite('MD5 = 0x' & Hex(DllStructGetData($tMD5_CTX, "digest")) & @crlf)
Edited by KaFu

trancexx, started tinkering with your functions :) , first speed comparison to Ward's UDF looks promising. Now I got some questions:

- You mentioned DEP problems with Ward's UDF. I'm not sure, but is this related to the fact that the ASM code is loaded to memory and utilized to calculate the md5?

- Is there a specific reason why you use CreateFileMappingW()? Or does the _WinAPI_CreateFile() function trigger DEP (don't think so)?

DEP issues with Ward's functions are caused by the access protection of the memory he's allocating. Proper way is shown in any recent script written by me on assembly theme. Just read them.

I already explained why CreateFileMapping is used. It has nothing to do with DEP (how could it???).

I found it quiet hard to read only parts of a file with CreateFileMappingW() (as I do in SMF to speed up hashing, in fact create fake hashes, for large files).

Hardness here is confusing.

There are only two small things that you need to change to do that with posted functions. For MD5:

Func _MD5ForFirstFileChunk($sFile, $iChunkSize = 0)

If Not $iChunkSize Then
        $iChunkSize = FileGetSize($sFile)
    EndIf

Local $a_hCall = DllCall("kernel32.dll", "hwnd", "CreateFileW", _
            "wstr", $sFile, _
            "dword", 0x80000000, _ ; GENERIC_READ
            "dword", 1, _ ; FILE_SHARE_READ
            "ptr", 0, _
            "dword", 3, _ ; OPEN_EXISTING
            "dword", 0, _ ; SECURITY_ANONYMOUS
            "ptr", 0)

If @error Or $a_hCall[0] = -1 Then
        Return SetError(1, 0, "")
    EndIf

Local $hFile = $a_hCall[0]

$a_hCall = DllCall("kernel32.dll", "ptr", "CreateFileMappingW", _
            "hwnd", $hFile, _
            "dword", 0, _ ; default security descriptor
            "dword", 2, _ ; PAGE_READONLY
            "dword", 0, _
            "dword", 0, _
            "ptr", 0)

If @error Or Not $a_hCall[0] Then
        DllCall("kernel32.dll", "int", "CloseHandle", "hwnd", $hFile)
        Return SetError(2, 0, "")
    EndIf

DllCall("kernel32.dll", "int", "CloseHandle", "hwnd", $hFile)

Local $hFileMappingObject = $a_hCall[0]

$a_hCall = DllCall("kernel32.dll", "ptr", "MapViewOfFile", _
            "hwnd", $hFileMappingObject, _
            "dword", 4, _ ; FILE_MAP_READ
            "dword", 0, _
            "dword", 0, _
            "dword", $iChunkSize)

If @error Or Not $a_hCall[0] Then
        DllCall("kernel32.dll", "int", "CloseHandle", "hwnd", $hFileMappingObject)
        Return SetError(3, 0, "")
    EndIf

Local $pFile = $a_hCall[0]
    Local $iBufferSize = $iChunkSize

Local $tMD5_CTX = DllStructCreate("dword i[2];" & _
            "dword buf[4];" & _
            "ubyte in[64];" & _
            "ubyte digest[16]")

DllCall("advapi32.dll", "none", "MD5Init", "ptr", DllStructGetPtr($tMD5_CTX))

If @error Then
        DllCall("kernel32.dll", "int", "UnmapViewOfFile", "ptr", $pFile)
        Return SetError(4, 0, "")
    EndIf

DllCall("advapi32.dll", "none", "MD5Update", _
            "ptr", DllStructGetPtr($tMD5_CTX), _
            "ptr", $pFile, _
            "dword", $iBufferSize)

If @error Then
        Return SetError(5, 0, "")
    EndIf

DllCall("advapi32.dll", "none", "MD5Final", "ptr", DllStructGetPtr($tMD5_CTX))

If @error Then
        Return SetError(6, 0, "")
    EndIf

Local $sMD5 = Hex(DllStructGetData($tMD5_CTX, "digest"))

Return SetError(0, 0, $sMD5)

EndFunc

MD5 for first 1024 bytes of some file would be:

$sMD5 = _MD5ForFirstFileChunk($sFile, 1024)
Edited by trancexx

Hardness here is confusing.

There are only two small things that you need to change to do that with posted functions. For MD5:

Sorry I didn't explained clearly... Reading the first chunk seems quiet easy, but for SMF's duplicate search functionality I

- read&hash the first (customizable) 8K of a file

- read&hash 8K from exactly the middle of the file

- read&hash the last 8K from a file

and create a 'fake' hash for the file adding up these three partial hashes, dramatically increasing performance for large files (with very, very few false positives for smaller ones like MS-Office files with their huge overhead, but those are explicitly excluded from this method and are bound for a full hash).

What's now difficult to me is how to read a defined chunk from the middle of a file with MapViewOfFile(), as MSDN states "That is, the offset must be a multiple of the allocation granularity" (to be obtained with GetSystemInfo()), sounds like you're bound the certain offset steps... utilizing _WinAPI_SetFilePointer() it's easy to define offset to the byte.

But anyway, it seems to work the way I want, it does not collide with DEP.

Additionally, is there an advantage to use CreateFileMappingW() over _WinAPI_ReadFile() I don't see? MSDN also states "A mapped view of a file is not guaranteed to be coherent with a file that is being accessed by the ReadFile or WriteFile function.".

Edited by KaFu

Sorry I didn't explained clearly... Reading the first chunk seems quiet easy, but for SMF's duplicate search functionality I

- read&hash the first (customizable) 8K of a file

- read&hash 8K from exactly the middle of the file

- read&hash the last 8K from a file

and create a 'fake' hash for the file adding up these three partial hashes, dramatically increasing performance for large files (with very, very few false positives for smaller ones like MS-Office files with their huge overhead, but those are explicitly excluded from this method and are bound for a full hash).

What's now difficult to me is how to read a defined chunk from the middle of a file with MapViewOfFile(), as MSDN states "That is, the offset must be a multiple of the allocation granularity" (to be obtained with GetSystemInfo()), sounds like you're bound the certain offset steps... utilizing _WinAPI_SetFilePointer() it's easy to define offset to the byte.

But anyway, it seems to work the way I want, it does not collide with DEP.

Additionally, is there an advantage to use CreateFileMappingW() over _WinAPI_ReadFile() I don't see? MSDN also states "A mapped view of a file is not guaranteed to be coherent with a file that is being accessed by the ReadFile or WriteFile function.".

You should just use SetFilePointer to walk through the file.

Yes there are advantages. I explained some of them.

I must quote this additionally

A mapped file and a file that is accessed by using the input and output (I/O) functions (ReadFile and WriteFile) are not necessarily coherent.

How do you know which one is righter?

I think the underlying question he's trying to ask is, will reading a file for hashing purposes with the different methods possibly produce two different hashes? If so, it's not so much a case of being 'right', but being 'consistent' with pre-existing hashing methods. If using a mapped file is faster but produces hashes that don't match most other programs out there, then there's not much point to it.

I think the underlying question he's trying to ask is, will reading a file for hashing purposes with the different methods possibly produce two different hashes? If so, it's not so much a case of being 'right', but being 'consistent' with pre-existing hashing methods. If using a mapped file is faster but produces hashes that don't match most other programs out there, then there's not much point to it.

It's faster in my tests, less demanding too and produces the same hashes.

If it was/is anything different then I wouldn't be posting it.

That answers some questions?

Sure does. Any idea what MS means by 'incoherent' then?

Maybe CreateFileMappingW() somehow considers I/O cached / not yet flushed to disk? Could also be the reason why trancexx says it's faster than FileRead()... Edited by KaFu