Using AutoIt to move lots of files to another directory

I have over 70,000 .tiff's stored in a window's directory. These tiff's are named with customer ID's followed by an "r" or "c". I need to move all the tiff's that match a customer ID to a different directory. I have tried the dos command

move 1234*.tiff, 4456*.tiff folder
but that doesn't work (despite the fact dos help says it should). Any ideas how I can use AutoIT to automate this?

Thanks in advance!

I have over 70,000 .tiff's stored in a window's directory. These tiff's are named with customer ID's followed by an "r" or "c". I need to move all the tiff's that match a customer ID to a different directory. I have tried the dos command

but that doesn't work (despite the fact dos help says it should). Any ideas how I can use AutoIT to automate this?

Thanks in advance!

The DOS command would be

MOVE 1234*.TIFF folder\4456*.TIFF

assuming the command prompt is operating in th efolder where the 1234*.TIFF files are.

The FileMove function in AutoIt will do the job.

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.

Thanks in advance!

The moving part is easy. Just look up filemove in the helpfile.

FileMove("C:\1234*.tiff", "C:\NewFolder\1234.tiff")

You might want to use something like FileGetLongName to get names and then you could make the folder's based on that. 

Other People's Stuff:Andy Flesner's AutoIt v3: Your Quick Guide[topic="34302"]Locodarwin's ExcelCom_UDF[/topic][topic="61090"]MrCreatorR's Opera Library[/topic]

I've got a rough idea of how to do this in my head, and I believe you'll need these functions.

InputBox - Ask for the customer ID. You'll only want the numbers.

FileFindFirstFile - Open a search handle.

Start a While Loop

FileFindFirstFile - Use the search handle to go through all the files.

StringInStr - Use this to see if the file name contains the customer ID.

FileMove - Move the files.

End the While loop

Thanks! But with over a million customer ids to compare 70+ thousand files to, I would need this to be behind the scenes.

This should be pretty easy to do I would think. Do you have any code at all for us to look at right now?

Not yet. I'm working on Thanubis' suggestion right now.

Here is what I have so far. It needs a lot of work. Not sure if I'm even on the right track.

#include <File.au3>
Global $sourceFile = "C:\test\Scanned\ValidCust.txt" ; contains numeric customer ids like 1234
Global $dest = "C:\test\BacklogInbox" ; directory to put the file if it is found in ValidCust.txt
Global $custID = ; need to make this first cust id in $sourceFile

$search = FileFindFirstFile($custID&="*.tiff") ; trying to find 1234*.tiff 

While 1
    $file = FileFindNextFile($search) ; Need to loop through all ID's in $sourceFile, moving any matches to $dest

FileMove($file, $dest)

WEnd

FileClose($search)
Edited by MSF

That was a good start. I've made a few changes, some fixes and some basic error checking. It seemed to work fine during the little bit of testing that I did.

EDIT: Also, with the way this is currently set up, it will only work if you run it from the directory where the .tiff files are.

Looks good to me. I was hoping to work on this some myself last night but you beat me to it. Nice work.
Other People's Stuff:Andy Flesner's AutoIt v3: Your Quick Guide[topic="34302"]Locodarwin's ExcelCom_UDF[/topic][topic="61090"]MrCreatorR's Opera Library[/topic]

Thanks for the help guys! I was on #autoIT @ irc.freenode.net last night. A mod that goes by the irc handle SmOke_N was able to help me come to a solution.

#include <array.au3>
Local $s_file_with_ids = "C:\test\Scanned\ValidCust.txt" ; @HomeDrive & "\ValidCustomers.txt"
Local $s_main_tiff_directory = "C:\test\Scanned\" ; @HomeDrive & "\tiff_test_dir\"
Local $s_transfer_to_directory = "C:\test\BacklogInbox\";@HomeDrive & "\tiff_send_to_dir\"
Local $a_find_ids = StringRegExp(FileRead($s_file_with_ids), "(\d+)", 3)
If @error Then
    MsgBox(16, "Error", "No id's found or FileRead() failed!")
    Exit
EndIf

Local $a_record[UBound($a_find_ids)], $i_c = 0 ; These are not neccessary if you uncomment the filemove, and comment the $a_record[$i_c] =
For $i = 0 To UBound($a_find_ids) - 1
    If FileMove($s_main_tiff_directory & $a_find_ids[$i] & "c.tiff", $s_transfer_to_directory & $a_find_ids[$i] & "c.tiff", 8) Then
        $a_record[$i_c] = $s_main_tiff_directory & $a_find_ids[$i] & "c.tiff"
        $i_c += 1
    EndIf
    If FileMove($s_main_tiff_directory & $a_find_ids[$i] & "r.tiff", $s_transfer_to_directory & $a_find_ids[$i] & "r.tiff", 8) Then
        $a_record[$i_c] = $s_main_tiff_directory & $a_find_ids[$i] & "r.tiff"
        $i_c += 1
    EndIf
Next

;ReDim $a_record[$i_c]
;_ArrayDisplay($a_record, "All files that will be transferred")

Thanks for the help guys! I was on #autoIT @ irc.freenode.net last night. A mod that goes by the irc handle SmOke_N was able to help me come to a solution.

If you spend any time at all on the forums you'll see his name all over the place.