shortcut driving me mad

ivan

Hi guys! I want to find the coordinates of a desktop shortcut so that I can move the mouse towards it, without necessarily clicking on it.

I found an earlier related post, but which didn't solve my problem, and it suggested to:

1) minimize all windows,

2) move the mouse to the center of the screen,

3) mouse click

4) send the shortcut name

I would add to this procedure sending an Enter to open the shortcut if desired, but this is not what I need.

Any help would greatly be aprreciated.

Thanks.

IVAN.

Hi guys! I want to find the coordinates of a desktop shortcut so that I can move the mouse towards it, without necessarily clicking on it.

I found an earlier related post, but which didn't solve my problem, and it suggested to:

1) minimize all windows,

2) move the mouse to the center of the screen,

3) mouse click

4) send the shortcut name

I would add to this procedure sending an Enter to open the shortcut if desired, but this is not what I need.

Any help would greatly be aprreciated.

Thanks.

IVAN.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why click it? Just search for the shortcut in the user's @DesktopDir AND the @DesktopCommonDir and then run the shortcut if it exists.

Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am...The Blue Drache

He said he wants to move the mouse to the shortcut without clicking on it. My guess would be that he maybe just wants the mouse to point out where the shortcut is after an install or something, but let the user decide whether to run it or not...

Only a guess. As for getting this to work... you'd probably need to use the Pixel functions.

Hi guys! Perhaps I need to rephrase.

My script creates two shortcuts on the desktop, and I want to move the mouse pointer towards those shortcuts.

In essence, I want to make sure that users, in this case school kids, can easily recognize the icons on the desktop so that whenever they need to run the script, they can find it.

I've been looking at Cyberslug's suggestions. The neatest one is http://www.coserv.net/~richardp/delphi/del...ips/note_72.htm

which requires delphi, a language I've not tried before. Any suggestions along these lines would greatly be appreciated.

The other solution given by Larry is to do a pixel search, a solution I would not dare to use, given that the script has to run on several machines which may have desktops with the same colours as the icons, in which case there could be errors or long delays in finding the appropriate square.

I am really grateful to you all for your wonderful help, but if there's another way of solving this problem, please let me know through the forum.

IVAN

I am really grateful to you all for your wonderful help, but if there's another way of solving this problem, please let me know through the forum.

IVAN

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Create a MacroMedia Flash demo that walks the kids through the whole she-bang.

Lofting the cyberwinds on teknoleather wings, I am...The Blue Drache