Using 'AT' daemon to schedule an AutoIT exe

Hello, I read the FAQs and have not come to any useful conclusions about this problem, so here it is...

We have created a fairly simple AutoIT script that (when executed) will start an InstallShield Installer and handle it.

The process works perfectly if you were to execute the AutoIT exe manually. The problem comes when we try to schedule it.

If we use the windows 'AT' command to schedule it, the job executes and appears in the Tasklist. However the two processes (the AutoIT exe and the InstallShield exe) appear to just 'hang' in the process list. We logged each step in the AutoIT exe and we know that the AutoIT script is waiting indefinitely for the first window on the InstallShield app to appear.

It might be interesting to note that we also tried using psexec to accomplish the same thing (psexec replacing the 'at' scheduler), and we got exactly the same results. Coming from a *nix background I have a theory that maybe I'm not running in a session that allows AutoIT to perform normally. All these processes are run as Administrator incidentally.

If you're scripting a GUI you'll want to make sure you run the task as interactive (/INTERACTIVE i think...) or it won't be able to access the GUI.

Tried that..same result. I wonder if (since I'm executing the AutoIT exe as /INTERACTIVE) the AutoIT exe must get also instantiate the InstallShield app similarly?

Is that even possible?

Tried that..same result. I wonder if (since I'm executing the AutoIT exe as /INTERACTIVE) the AutoIT exe must get also instantiate the InstallShield app similarly?

Is that even possible?

I would recommend the following:

1. Dump AT.exe. Use SchTasks.exe to create and manage tasks, not the depricated AT.exe command.

2. If you ever open an AT job in Task Scheduler, it is converted automatically to a SchTasks job and can no longer be managed by AT.exe. In the process, some options, like "/interactive" may get dropped. SchTasks uses the same job objects Task Scheduler does, so it avoids the issue.

3. Don't run the .exe file directly. Make your command line for the task something like 'START "C:\Full\Path\SomeName.cmd"', and have that batch file run your .exe. This causes a shell environment with system environment variables and drive mappings to be created for the job.

:)

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

I would recommend the following:

1. Dump AT.exe. Use SchTasks.exe to create and manage tasks, not the depricated AT.exe command.

2. If you ever open an AT job in Task Scheduler, it is converted automatically to a SchTasks job and can no longer be managed by AT.exe. In the process, some options, like "/interactive" may get dropped. SchTasks uses the same job objects Task Scheduler does, so it avoids the issue.

3. Don't run the .exe file directly. Make your command line for the task something like 'START "C:\Full\Path\SomeName.cmd"', and have that batch file run your .exe. This causes a shell environment with system environment variables and drive mappings to be created for the job.

I made the batch file. I tested it as Administrator and it runs as expected in the logged-in environment.

However when I schedule it, it fails to run. With 'at' I saw it appear in the tasklist, but with this facility, I get nada.

schtasks /Create /IT /SC ONCE /TN uninstall /TR "C:\sb\testing\uninstall.bat" /ST 10:53

SUCCESS: The scheduled task "uninstall" has successfully been created.

C:\sb\testing\automation\perl\tests\iSCSI\HITKit\HIT Installer>schtasks /Query

TaskName Next Run Time Status

==================================== ======================== ===============

uninstall 10:53:00 AM, 5/29/2009

And at 10:54..

uninstall Never Could not start

I made the batch file. I tested it as Administrator and it runs as expected in the logged-in environment.

However when I schedule it, it fails to run. With 'at' I saw it appear in the tasklist, but with this facility, I get nada.

schtasks /Create /IT /SC ONCE /TN uninstall /TR "C:\sb\testing\uninstall.bat" /ST 10:53

uninstall 10:53:00 AM, 5/29/2009

And at 10:54..

You have to specify the "/RU UserName" and "/RP PassWord" parameters to match the logged in user for "/IT" to work.

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

You have to specify the "/RU UserName" and "/RP PassWord" parameters to match the logged in user for "/IT" to work.

schtasks prompted me for usr/pass before queueing...so i figured it was ok to omit..but i tried /RU /RP to see what would happen anyway..

C:\>schtasks /Create /IT /SC ONCE /TN uninstall /TR "C:\sb\testing\uninstall.bat" /ST 11:22 /RU Administrator /RP automation /Z

C:\>time

The current time is: 11:21:16.01

Enter the new time:

C:\>schtasks /Query

uninstall 11:22:00 AM, 5/29/2009

The current time is: 11:22:16.34

Enter the new time:

Coming from a 20+ year *nix background, may I say this is dang frustrating? :party:

schtasks prompted me for usr/pass before queueing...so i figured it was ok to omit..but i tried /RU /RP to see what would happen anyway..

C:\>schtasks /Create /IT /SC ONCE /TN uninstall /TR "C:\sb\testing\uninstall.bat" /ST 11:22 /RU Administrator /RP automation /Z

The current time is: 11:21:16.01

Enter the new time:

uninstall 11:22:00 AM, 5/29/2009

The current time is: 11:22:16.34

Enter the new time:

Try changing the target command line to: /TR "START C:\sb\testing\uninstall.bat"

Coming from a 20+ year *nix background, may I say this is dang frustrating? :)

You may, and Amen to that!

:party:

Edited by PsaltyDS